2019 Headliners

rzwodezwo

2 minutes ago, the wonderwhy said:

Probably not even Arctics - they’d have done it by now if they wanted to. 

They don’t, or there’s been lots of talk they haven’t wanted to in the past despite the clear demand for them. I think they weren’t fans of the bigger outdoor gigs since their Old Trafford gigs and since then have gone to efforts to specifically limit the capacity of outdoor shows.

9 minutes ago, priest17 said:

Let's just get these guys back and be done with it, they weren't half as bad as everyone makes out. M1A1 is a helluva start as well.

Think this new album is absolutely critical for them. Humanz stank the place out, another bomb like that and they'll drift away (it's much easier to wind up a cartoon band I suppose).

12 minutes ago, priest17 said:

Let's just get these guys back and be done with it, they weren't half as bad as everyone makes out. 

Oh they were. Kanye aside, I've never seen so many people leave a gig like that. There was a very dangerous crush around the side of the Pyramid heading towards the Peel with people leaving. People panicking, shouting at each other, escaping through the campsite etc. Not pretty. 

19 minutes ago, The Nal said:

Oh they were. Kanye aside, I've never seen so many people leave a gig like that. There was a very dangerous crush around the side of the Pyramid heading towards the Peel with people leaving. People panicking, shouting at each other, escaping through the campsite etc. Not pretty. 

Yep I was one of them.

Groove Armada restored my faith in music having witnessed those first few songs from the Gorillaz!

11 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

Think this new album is absolutely critical for them. Humanz stank the place out, another bomb like that and they'll drift away (it's much easier to wind up a cartoon band I suppose).

That's fair enough. I maintain at least 2 of the first 3 albums are masterpieces but Humanz left me a bit cold, as do most albums that go on that long to be fair. I hadn't thought of them as headliners again until I watched the above set, it all gels much better than I expected.

2 minutes ago, The Nal said:

People filled the field for Ed Sheeran, you can't use them as means of judging these things.

25 minutes ago, priest17 said:

People filled the field for Ed Sheeran, you can't use them as means of judging these things.

It is sadly. 

Lots of people in the field who stay and watch the gig = success

Lots of people in the field and lots of people leave and the frontman has to defend the poor reviews = not a success

They'd work fine earlier in the day or on the Other maybe but they were never a headliner.

1 hour ago, The Nal said:

Kanye aside, I've never seen so many people leave a gig like that.

Radiohead ran them close last year.

I ended up going to watch Radiohead, but due to being somewhere else turned up about 30 minutes into their set - trying to get into the Pyramid Field meant going against a constant stream of people heading the other way.

4 minutes ago, The Nal said:

It is sadly. 

Lots of people in the field who stay and watch the gig = success

Lots of people in the field and lots of people leave and the frontman has to defend the poor reviews = not a success

They'd work fine earlier in the day or on the Other maybe but they were never a headliner.

I know you're right, I was trying (and succeeding) to be funny. But that show isn't what their shows have been since, they gambled on a fair bits and I think Damon was a little cocky after the success he enjoyed the year before. The orchestra moments and omission of some of the big tunes didn't help and I can see why people left. Clint Eastwood did a lot to my memory of the gig as it was a glorious moment and bits like seeing Lou Reed and Mark E Smith on the pyramid were real highlights. They're so much better though and if they did anything like the show I posted above it'd go down a helluva lot better.

It'll have been 9 years since that misstep, I think they could boss it, not like they're taking the slot away from anyone else at this point.

9 minutes ago, incident said:

Radiohead ran them close last year.

I ended up going to watch Radiohead, but due to being somewhere else turned up about 30 minutes into their set - trying to get into the Pyramid Field meant going against a constant stream of people heading the other way.

All heading up to The Park to watch Lippy War Bonnet and the lads instead, if their exponentially expanding crowd is anything to go by.

Two years running I've thought the Saturday headliner at Parklife belonged topping the Pyramid. 

The 1975 last year were brilliant and really should be in the mix for headlining Glasto next year imo. Such a cool live show that's really well put together. It'll be too soon for The xx after playing in 2017, but beyond that I hope they get a shot at it. Their show is so unique and pretty special. If they put some new music out to replace a couple of duds in the middle of the set, they'd be perfect. The likes of Test Me are fine and I'm sure they go down great at a gig, but they defo lose the crowd at festivals with it. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Hugh Jass said:

I'm not really sure it did. Wasn't popular on here but got good reviews and solid sales.

The positive reviews for Humanz baffled me. It’s a slog to get through. 

Couple of serious missteps at the Gorillaz show in 2010. Couple of triumphant moments also. One of the most interesting shows the festival has ever had. To say “never a headliner” is a bit mad given the substance of the performers on the stage. 

Edited by Wooderson

20 hours ago, Gnomicide said:

he is a twat of the highest order, saw him last time, he was alright i suppose.  wouldn't see him again. I do hope this is just home trying to express his love of train tunnels and he is off on a  round the world train trip with Michael Portillo.

1 hour ago, Odessa said:

The 1975 last year were brilliant and really should be in the mix for headlining Glasto next year imo.

Dunno, assuming that they've already got next year's headliners secured (and it is an assumption) they'd only have been booked on the strength of two albums. I'd be nervous of Mumford syndrome where they just don't have enough big songs to keep the crowd engaged.

But what the hell do I know?

21 hours ago, Odessa said:

Two years running I've thought the Saturday headliner at Parklife belonged topping the Pyramid. 

The 1975 last year were brilliant and really should be in the mix for headlining Glasto next year imo. Such a cool live show that's really well put together. It'll be too soon for The xx after playing in 2017, but beyond that I hope they get a shot at it. Their show is so unique and pretty special. If they put some new music out to replace a couple of duds in the middle of the set, they'd be perfect. The likes of Test Me are fine and I'm sure they go down great at a gig, but they defo lose the crowd at festivals with it. 

Agree with this, the xx seem to have really perfected their live show - Jamie’s influence has definitely raise it up a notch. I’ve seen them 3 times now and I thought Saturday was easily their best performance of the 3. It was emotional in places but also fun, fantastic vocals and pretty visuals. A successful 4th album a couple of years down the line and they could definitely do it.

Also, I wish they’d play stars live one day...

Just now, battleborn said:

To be fair most forums have an inbuilt code that prevents you registering with the same name as another person.

See the above, is this forum devoid of fairly basic anti-confusion measures like not allowing two people to register with the same username? Seems a bit daft?

It's the l in your name that has been changed to a similar character and registered. Someone did it with my name too a month or two back. I do often think it very odd that a festival forum has to fend off such weird behaviour.