2019 Headliners

rzwodezwo

35 minutes ago, Gucci Piggy said:

I reckon if I went around uni tomorrow asking who'd heard of Arcade Fire easily more than 50% of people would say yes.

I reckon if I went around uni tomorrow asking who'd heard of Nick Cave I reckon around -20% of people would say yes.

To be fair, that's partly generational - I suspect that if you asked a group of recent retirees the percentages would be about the same but swapped around.

6 hours ago, Hugh Jass said:

I use the office test and apply it to the general population. The average office will have a wide range of knowledge and tastes - from hardcore musos to those who only have Heart FM on as they drive to/from work. Whenever I say I'm go to Glasto people's first question is "who's playing?", so I'll rattle off the headliners - Radiohead/Foos/Sheeran, Muse/Adele/Coldplay, etc. I'd say at least 90% of people have at very least heard of those acts, whether or not they like them or can name one of their hits is immaterial. They at least know who they are.

If I said Nick Cave was headlining, I reckon 30-40% of people would have heard of him.

Ask them

35 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

I watched Q-Tip instead of Neil Young, a decision I did not and still do not regret.

Q-Tip>Bloc Party though

TBF Bloc Party weren't bad per se, but they certainly weren't Neil Young. And given that I didn't find my mates anyway and had to watch them on my tod, it wasn't a strong finish all round.

1 hour ago, The Nal said:

You motherfucker

Yes, thank you Nal.

So I've just read that Kendrick pulled up a girl to sing on stage and acted like a complete knob when she sang the lyrics with the use of the word n****. It's a song that includes to the word constant and he would have said it and not bleeped it like he told her to. He then asked the crowd whether he should let her continue with her already completed mortified anyway.

If this is as true as it says then he's a arsehole we don't need on the farm.

• Downvote 3

Just now, thewayiam said:

So I've just read that Kendrick pulled up a girl to sing on stage and acted like a complete knob when she sang the lyrics with the use of the word n****. It's a song that includes to the word constant and he would have said it and not bleeped it like he told her to. He then asked the crowd whether he should let her continue with her already completed mortified anyway.

There’s a whole thread about it elsewhere.

9 hours ago, thewayiam said:

Have you even watched the video before commenting on it? He doesn't act like a dick at all. She says the N word, the whole crowd start booing, Kendrick stands there looking shocked, stops the song, tells her she has to bleep out the word and then let's her stay on stage and start again, after she begs him to let her stay up there.

As much as your hatred for Kanye seemed way over the top, at least there are a lot of things that people dislike him for. The ease with which you've decided Kendrick is an arsehole, without even watching the video you're using to label him that, is pretty worrying.

• Downvote 1

36 minutes ago, Gucci Piggy said:

Have you even watched the video before commenting on it? He doesn't act like a dick at all. She says the N word, the whole crowd start booing, Kendrick stands there looking shocked, stops the song, tells her she has to bleep out the word and then let's her stay on stage and start again, after she begs him to let her stay up there.

As much as your hatred for Kanye seemed way over the top, at least there are a lot of things that people dislike him for. The ease with which you've decided Kendrick is an arsehole, without even watching the video you're using to label him that, is pretty worrying.

Why I was able to see your post I don't know which I shouldn't but your post just confirms why I shouldn't.

For a start don't bring Kanye into this because it's nothing to do with him....I've never had anything to say bad about Kendrick.

Re-read what I said, I state quite clearly that if it is as true as it reads. The comments were from someone who watched it and to be watch the video I'd have to know what I was needing to watch, as per another I didn't know where to like and I neither like or dislike him so.

So she had to beg him to stay up there infront of an entire audience, because that is so much better! You invite a girl up on stage to sing a song that has that word on nearly if not all lines as you expect her not to sing and bleep out words that you wrote to be sung?.....that's bullshit!

If you want way over the top then ^ is for a publicity stunt because you don't make your paying fans feel like that for any other reason.

If you don't want the girl to say inappropriate words on stage then that means you shouldn't be asking them up to do it?, what's she doing at home with the uncensored album version?....bleeping out the lyrics?!

The 1975

Arctic Monkeys

Fleetwood Mac

In a year before the huge one I think that's as strong as it's going to get and to be honest The 1975 clearly being the weakest option there isn't really a weak option. Stormzy I just don't think is there yet and is much closer to a co-headliner slot if they did that at Reading.

10 minutes ago, thewayiam said:

Why I was able to see your post I don't know which I shouldn't but your post just confirms why I shouldn't.

For a start don't bring Kanye into this because it's nothing to do with him....I've never had anything to say bad about Kendrick.

Re-read what I said, I state quite clearly that if it is as true as it reads. The comments were from someone who watched it and to be watch the video I'd have to know what I was needing to watch, as per another I didn't know where to like and I neither like or dislike him so.

So she had to beg him to stay up there infront of an entire audience, because that is so much better! You invite a girl up on stage to sing a song that has that word on nearly if not all lines as you expect her not to sing and bleep out words that you wrote to be sung?.....that's bullshit!

If you want way over the top then ^ is for a publicity stunt because you don't make your paying fans feel like that for any other reason.

If you don't want the girl to say inappropriate words on stage then that means you shouldn't be asking them up to do it?, what's she doing at home with the uncensored album version?....bleeping out the lyrics?!

I brought Kanye into this because this is the second black hip-hop artist you've tried to say shouldn't be at Glastonbury and have gone way over the top in trying to label them, personally, as dickheads. I just found it interesting as I've never seen you personally attack any other musicians in this way.

If you're going to make a post claiming that Kendrick is a nobhead who shouldn't be at Glastonbury then how about waiting until you've actually seen the evidence you're using against him before saying anything.

She didn't "have" to beg him; she did it without him even hinting he was going to kick her off the stage. She clearly realised she shouldn't have said the word and was panickingly begging not to be kicked off stage and to have another shot at it. It was the crowd that were laying into her; not Kendrick.

It's a fair opinion that he shouldn't have invited her up on stage if he didn't want her to say it and I somewhat agree, but nothing he did painted him as a nobhead as you called him.

And yes Gazza, the majority of white people don't sit at home singing along shouting the N word out because it's not a word that we have the right to use. Black people have the right to use it in their songs and any white person with a brain is aware that they're not supposed to use the word and will skip it out when singing along. Although I'm not sure why I expect a grown man who goes to parties in blackface to understand this.

Anyway, this discussion was done to death in the Kendrick thread and I'm sure no one wants it to derail another thread so I'm going to leave it there.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2