2019 Headliners

rzwodezwo

27 minutes ago, Winslow Leach said:

Did anyone else get a weird flurry of file downloads automatically starting when they came to this site in the last half hour or so?

7 minutes ago, Odessa said:

Yeah I got a failed download on my phone, I wondered what it was. 

Nothing here. I noticed neither of you are GOLD members. A rogue ad maybe @eFestivals?

15 minutes ago, Quark said:

Let's be honest though Hugh, if we all got pulled up for repeating ourselves with something we'd said nearly a year ago this place would run out of posts very feckin' quickly.  I've been using the same jokes since '95. And yeah, Walker brought them up this time.

However, even with that in mind it's still a nonsense.

I know, but this tool is just saying the same things over and over again to get bites and attention. I know I'm just perpetuating the cycle by biting myself, but it's either this or work.

2 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

I know, but this tool is just saying the same things over and over again to get bites and attention. I know I'm just perpetuating the cycle by biting myself, but it's either this or work.

A fair point well made.  And yeah, I could have got through a fair amount of work if I hadn't been on here researching new bands and waffling :D

19 hours ago, stuartbert two hats said:

A rogue ad maybe @eFestivals?

I guess it must have been, tho quite possibly just because something was mis-configured with the ad setup for a particular ad.

Fingers crossed, those rogue ads are (just about) a thing of the past. There's been just one report of them to me in the last couple of months or so.

3 minutes ago, Mash011 said:

19 and the 75's are apparently releasing two albums, one this October and another next May, just in time for...

Well, whilst I'm not particularly arsed about seeing them (I recall having to literally run to the Beat Hotel to escape them when I turned up early for Dolly last time), I'd rather Em and her Dad gave someone a promotion than get a generic headliner from the usual list of candidates. 

I'm gonna go 1975/Bruno Mars/Fleetwood Mac

4 minutes ago, Badlands said:

Well, whilst I'm not particularly arsed about seeing them (I recall having to literally run to the Beat Hotel to escape them when I turned up early for Dolly last time), I'd rather Em and her Dad gave someone a promotion than get a generic headliner from the usual list of candidates. 

I'm gonna go 1975/Bruno Mars/Fleetwood Mac

Do you reckon Bruno would have new material out by then? I feel like that might be a bit soon and given how extensively he has already toured this album (the arena tours and now Glasgow + Hyde Park) surely it is more likely for him to turn up after his next album.

On 5/29/2018 at 2:44 AM, Gucci Piggy said:

What a load of tosh.

Led Zeppelin will not be reforming or headlining Glastonbury next year. Not a chance in hell.

The Strokes are nowhere near as big as they used to be. The last time they did UK festivals (not counting BST as it's not a proper festival) they subbed the 2nd stage at TITP in 2011 (they also co-headliner R&L, sure, but that puts on a level with Pulp and My Chemical Romance who also headlined that year).

Ed Sheeran is one of the biggest acts in the world. He'd sell 10x as many tickets as The Strokes would if they announced equivalent tours tomorrow.

The Stone Roses are clearly not active at the moment. Maybe they'll start up again by next Summer but that shouldn't be expected as likely to happen.

The Cure have been available to headline Glastonbury loads of times recently and Glastonbury haven't booked them, suggesting they don't want them as headliners nowadays. If I remember correctly Eavis was less than complimentary about their last appearance, too.

Led Zeppelin are celebrating there 50th anniversary of the band forming, that is a fact, a simple google search will confirm that. However, they haven't released how they will celebrate it. bearing that in mind and the fact that they've never played Glastonbury before and Michael Eavis has stated that Glastonbury 2019 will have 2 or 3 acts that have performed there, theres is a very small chance. I would agree that it is very unlikely that they will headline, but we can always hope

I think we're gonna have to agree to disagree on The Strokes headlining, I don't think anything I can say will change your opinion and vice versa.

The Reason Michael Eavis wasn't pleased with the Cure Headlining was because of comments they made about the festival seemingly being unorganised and unsafe. However, These comments were made in 1995, it is 23 years later, I think he can probably forgive them by now.

The Stone Roses are my all time favourite band, and so every year I speculate that they'll perform at such and such festival, next year I think bearing in mind that it will the 30th anniversary of their debut album, and that Michael Eavis has said that 2 or 3 bands that have never played Glastonbury before will perform and that the Stone Roses have never played Glastonbury before, I can only hope that maybe they will headline. 

With this being said, it'll probably end up being something like,

Taylor Swift

Arctic Monkeys

Muse 

or something along those lines

7 minutes ago, Barnabylike said:

Led Zeppelin are celebrating there 50th anniversary of the band forming, that is a fact, a simple google search will confirm that. However, they haven't released how they will celebrate it. bearing that in mind and the fact that they've never played Glastonbury before and Michael Eavis has stated that Glastonbury 2019 will have 2 or 3 acts that have performed there, theres is a very small chance. I would agree that it is very unlikely that they will headline, but we can always hope

I think we're gonna have to agree to disagree on The Strokes headlining, I don't think anything I can say will change your opinion and vice versa.

The Reason Michael Eavis wasn't pleased with the Cure Headlining was because of comments they made about the festival seemingly being unorganised and unsafe. However, These comments were made in 1995, it is 23 years later, I think he can probably forgive them by now.

The Stone Roses are my all time favourite band, and so every year I speculate that they'll perform at such and such festival, next year I think bearing in mind that it will the 30th anniversary of their debut album, and that Michael Eavis has said that 2 or 3 bands that have never played Glastonbury before will perform and that the Stone Roses have never played Glastonbury before, I can only hope that maybe they will headline. 

With this being said, it'll probably end up being something like,

Taylor Swift

Arctic Monkeys

Muse 

or something along those lines

Maybe they'll have a meal together or something. They're not gonna reform and headline Glastonbury.

I love The Strokes, so no negative bias coming from me, but if you think they're anywhere near the size of acts like Ed Sheeran in 2018 there's no point even having a discussion.

Those aren't the comments I'm thinking of about The Cure. I remember them saying something about not being booked in forever and Eavis responding with something like "Well you weren't any good the last time you played". Although the last time I looked for these comments I couldn't find them online so who knows.

Fair enough on The Stone Roses, at least you're admitting you're biased there. So far their reunion has been solely about the money so I dunno if they'd even play Glastonbury. Maybe it's something they'd wanna tick off their list though or maybe the increase in record sales would appeal to them. Either way they're not a band I'd be expecting to turn up at Glastonbury for a small fee.

And I wouldn't bother listening to anything Eavis says along the lines of them having 2 or 3 new headliners. He says shit like this every year and it almost always ends up not being true.

And Muse won't headline; they headlined two years ago. And Taylor Swift never does festivals so she's not very likely either.

10 hours ago, Badlands said:

I'd rather Em and her Dad gave someone a promotion than get a generic headliner from the usual list of candidates. 

Ok so this made me think about "usual suspect" headliners. Taking the last 10 festivals (07-17) that's 30 headline slots.

Of those the only repeats have been:

Coldplay 11 and 16

Arctic Monkeys 07 and 13

The Who 07 and 15

Muse 10 and 16

That's still 26 different headliners in 10 years. 

Even if you go back to 2000, so the last 15 years, it's still not that bad.

Coldplay 02 and 05

Radiohead 03 and 17

Muse 04

Out of 45 headline slots that's 37 acts. Still an 82% strike rate, which I don't think is that bad. Muse and Coldplay (particularly) aside is it just a perception thing?

EDIT: corrected with Coldplay in '11. Cheers @SomeoneListeningIn

Edited by Quark
  • Upvote 1

11 hours ago, Mattymooz said:

Do you reckon Bruno would have new material out by then? I feel like that might be a bit soon and given how extensively he has already toured this album (the arena tours and now Glasgow + Hyde Park) surely it is more likely for him to turn up after his next album.

I didn't put too much consideration to be fair, it was just from the list of poppier acts which I think they'll continue to try and book. Could have quite possibly had The Weeknd there. Don't think T-Swift will headline or Bey will return. 

Nick Cave and the bad seeds have sold out their day at the APE festival with ease, while the others are struggling to sell tickets.

This is proof they are obviously now big enough to headline glastonbury. And of course the music speaks for itself. When was the last time the festival booked an act at the top of their game? 

Though the dumb fucks will undoubtedly book some utter rot like arctic monkeys and taylor swift.

• Downvote 1

30 minutes ago, russycarps said:

Nick Cave and the bad seeds have sold out their day at the APE festival with ease, while the others are struggling to sell tickets.

This is proof they are obviously now big enough to headline glastonbury. And of course the music speaks for itself. When was the last time the festival booked an act at the top of their game? 

Though the dumb fucks will undoubtedly book some utter rot like arctic monkeys and taylor swift.

Proof he can shift 40,000 tickets to his own fans for sure.

Proof he can pack in 80,000 Glastonbury punters? Nah. It's not like that show sold out in minutes.

(This is not a comment on Cave's talent nor a doubt that he'd put on a great show before anyone starts)

47 minutes ago, russycarps said:

It proves he's big enough to top Other stage which is where he would get booked.