2019 Headliners

rzwodezwo

33 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Yeah, and although I rate the LCD gig as one of the best ever Glasto performances for those who turned up, the field wasn't exactly packed.  I'm not sure whether the organisers consider that scheduling to be a success, as it was wildly successful by one metric and a complete flop by another.

Competing againest Coldplay on the Pyramid though? Sounds a bit harsh. There's always one Other headliner that gets a tiny crowd due to going up against a behemoth on the pyramid. LCD in 2016, Alt J vs the foos in 2017. Says more about the festival planning than the bands in question imo.

Just now, Madyaker said:

Competing againest Coldplay on the Pyramid though? Sounds a bit harsh. There's always one Other headliner that gets a tiny crowd due to going up against a behemoth on the pyramid. LCD in 2016, Alt J vs the foos in 2017. Says more about the festival planning than the bands in question imo.

Somebody's gotta go against those huge acts.

14 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

Somebody's gotta go against those huge acts.

There's something to be said for it.  When you've got a massive draw on elsewhere you can pretty much guarantee that those who've schlepped across the site to watch their favourite band while all their mates are at the "big set" are going to be going bananas. Small crowds can still have a banger of an atmosphere.

3 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

What sort of crowd did BBK draw against Sheeran that night? I was one of about 10 people who were at the Other watching Emilie Sande just beforehand.

Don't think it was particularly spectacular and probably about as empty a field as LCD got.

1 minute ago, Quark said:

There's something to be said for it.  When you've got a massive draw on elsewhere you can pretty much guarantee that those who've schlepped across the site to watch their favourite band while all their mates are at the "big set" are going to be going bananas. Small crowds can still have a banger of an atmosphere.

Which LCD proved as that crowd, small as it was, was electric. I doubt Alt-J vs. Foos was quite as good, mind, but then it was never gonna be regardless of who they were up against.

1 minute ago, FloorFiller said:

Which LCD proved as that crowd, small as it was, was electric. I doubt Alt-J vs. Foos was quite as good, mind, but then it was never gonna be regardless of who they were up against.

Aye, for me it was Levellers up against Stevie Wonder.

47 minutes ago, Madyaker said:

same with New Order the previous night against Adele.

neither were that empty in fairness, the crowd was back to the sound desks when we got there about 15mins before LCD, and there were plenty of rows behind us by the end.

New Order's pretty much stayed at soundesk level.

it probably didn't help that the Other Stage field was an absolute quagmire by Friday evening that year, I tried crossing it when there was no-one playing over the weekend, and the mud was up to my knee at one point.

13 minutes ago, Walker2295 said:

https://www.billboard.com/articles/news/dance/8458073/axwell-ingrosso-swedish-house-mafia-2019

If this tease does become a confirmation of 2019 tour, Could Swedish House Mafia take that Other Stage Friday Dance/Electronic headliner slot? 

Apologies for bringing them up again if they have already been ruled out! :)

definitely possible, Deadmau5 and Skrillex have done it before.

that said, I'd imagine SHM will take the much bigger paydays at other festivals, rather than play Glastonbury for comparatively peanuts.

Edited by ghostdancer1

Just now, battleborn said:

Someone else brought them up. If Glasto wasn't such a stuffy old brigade thing clinging on to old guitar bands and so-called proper musicians then Swedish House Mafia are clearly big enough to headline it. They'd get a crowd well in excess of 75k and would  bring the party good and proper. Chemical Brothers headlined, so it's not like dance acts can't do it.

Swedish House Mafia aren't exactly of the moment. In fact they just booked the two most of the moment headliners they possibly could in Ed Sheeran and Adele.

4 minutes ago, battleborn said:

Someone else brought them up. If Glasto wasn't such a stuffy old brigade thing clinging on to old guitar bands and so-called proper musicians then Swedish House Mafia are clearly big enough to headline it. They'd get a crowd well in excess of 75k and would  bring the party good and proper. Chemical Brothers headlined, so it's not like dance acts can't do it.

Almost tempted to upvote this just because it made me laugh. Almost.

47 minutes ago, battleborn said:

Someone else brought them up.

Recognise this?

When you find yourself repeating material it's usually a sign to give up.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On ‎6‎/‎29‎/‎2017 at 12:52 PM, battleborn said:

How about:

Main Stage

Friday Swedish House Mafia subbed by Chemical Brothers

Saturday Arctic Monkeys subbed by The Killers

Sunday R.E.M subbed by The Verve with ABBA in legends spot.

Other Stage

Friday The 1975 subbed by Bastille

Saturday Boy Better Know subbed by Lethal Bizzle

Sunday Chase and Status subbed by Major Lazer

There's been increasing signals Swedish House Mafia could reform and if any "dance" act can headline Glastonbury it's them, Daft Punk or Chemical Brothers. R.E.M have said they split up because they'd achieved everything they set out to, but maybe a few years on they could reform. With an Arctic Monkeys album rumoured for 2018 they would be sure fires if it hits the spot as well as AM?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Let's be honest though Hugh, if we all got pulled up for repeating ourselves with something we'd said nearly a year ago this place would run out of posts very feckin' quickly.  I've been using the same jokes since '95. And yeah, Walker brought them up this time.

However, even with that in mind it's still a nonsense.