2019 Headliners

rzwodezwo

22 minutes ago, battleborn said:

Looking back through Glastonbury history there's some really odd scheduling. Were The Verve really big enough in 2008 to be billed above Leonard Cohen, I remember them being pretty big but?

A reminder that whatever we think is obvious next year might not be the case?

During the 1980’s, certainly before C4 and the BBC brought the cameras, who was playing when always seemed something of a lottery. First year I went, Eavis put King Sunny Ade and his African Beats as Pyramid headliners one night - probably the headliner with the least number of people (if any!) in the crowd that knew a single song. 

Leonard Cohen, for all his qualities, is not what you want as a headliner after a day full of beer and many miles on your feet.  You need something to sing and dance along to with your mates.

Cohen was well placed that night, as the sun was setting.

Edited by fatyeti24

13 hours ago, Steve1000 said:

5 of those things seem possible to me at least tbf.

If you can point out those 5 with a valid argument I'll agree with you.

QOTSA aren't headlining the Pyramid, Elton would probably do Friday if at all as going from Ireland to Switz and bavk to the UK would be odd.

Crosby Still as the legends?, I'm also unsure I see any of those other stage headliners....even Disclosure I'd question.

48 minutes ago, thewayiam said:

If you can point out those 5 with a valid argument I'll agree with you.

QOTSA aren't headlining the Pyramid, Elton would probably do Friday if at all as going from Ireland to Switz and bavk to the UK would be odd.

Crosby Still as the legends?, I'm also unsure I see any of those other stage headliners....even Disclosure I'd question.

Dunno if you've seen but I guy who's given us a few pieces of correct info recently (LCD headlining Other Stage and Tame Impala headlining Citadel) has heard The Street will headline Other or sub Pyramid, and out of the two Other headline makes the most sense.

On 5/8/2018 at 10:27 PM, ghostdancer1 said:

Led Zeppelin - aren't a band anymore

Stone Roses - aren't a band anymore

The Strokes - not remotely big enough any more, and also barely a band anymore

the others are possible, although The Cure seem unlikely considering that they haven't been booked in so long.

Next Year it'll be 50 years since Led Zeppelin formed and they have said themselves that they are planning to celebrate it in some way, weather that be a reissue of an album, a one of concert, stadium tour or headlining Glastonbury. Yes Led Zeppelin did split up after John Bonham death but they could easily find a replacement drummer (Although he might not be up to the standard John Bonham Was). The Strokes are one of the biggest indie rock bands in the world. if Ed Sheeran can headline, Then so can the Strokes. The Stone Roses never officially split up, they're not doing any solo projects and it'll be 30 years next year since they made there debut album. The fact that the cure haven't been booked in so long just makes them more likely to be Headlining. 

24 minutes ago, Barnabylike said:

Next Year it'll be 50 years since Led Zeppelin formed and they have said themselves that they are planning to celebrate it in some way, weather that be a reissue of an album, a one of concert, stadium tour or headlining Glastonbury. Yes Led Zeppelin did split up after John Bonham death but they could easily find a replacement drummer (Although he might not be up to the standard John Bonham Was). The Strokes are one of the biggest indie rock bands in the world. if Ed Sheeran can headline, Then so can the Strokes. The Stone Roses never officially split up, they're not doing any solo projects and it'll be 30 years next year since they made there debut album. The fact that the cure haven't been booked in so long just makes them more likely to be Headlining. 

What a load of tosh.

Led Zeppelin will not be reforming or headlining Glastonbury next year. Not a chance in hell.

The Strokes are nowhere near as big as they used to be. The last time they did UK festivals (not counting BST as it's not a proper festival) they subbed the 2nd stage at TITP in 2011 (they also co-headliner R&L, sure, but that puts on a level with Pulp and My Chemical Romance who also headlined that year).

Ed Sheeran is one of the biggest acts in the world. He'd sell 10x as many tickets as The Strokes would if they announced equivalent tours tomorrow.

The Stone Roses are clearly not active at the moment. Maybe they'll start up again by next Summer but that shouldn't be expected as likely to happen.

The Cure have been available to headline Glastonbury loads of times recently and Glastonbury haven't booked them, suggesting they don't want them as headliners nowadays. If I remember correctly Eavis was less than complimentary about their last appearance, too.

On 5/27/2018 at 7:26 AM, morph100 said:

Just came back from there didn’t see Emily or anything other than the usual suspects doing 30min slots. Most of main stage have performed at Glastonbury before and probably will again.

They did call the lineup Clashfinder on the £10 program lanyard thing (no mention of Halvin) and the tent was named The Other Stage.....

There was one rather large act there who regularly appears on rumour lists and hasn't appeared before...

On 5/26/2018 at 4:06 PM, FloorFiller said:

Glastonbury don't pay enough for Guns N Roses. Or Kendrick if the rumours of his Reading/Leeds fee are to be believed.

His Reading/Leeds deal was part of a much wider Live Nation worldwide tour deal (hence why he's playing Glasgow Green) - That's what made it so huge, not R+L in isolation.  Wouldn't necessarily discount him from Glastonbury on the basis of that.

8 hours ago, Gucci Piggy said:

Dunno if you've seen but I guy who's given us a few pieces of correct info recently (LCD headlining Other Stage and Tame Impala headlining Citadel) has heard The Street will headline Other or sub Pyramid, and out of the two Other headline makes the most sense.

Fair but I don't see it myself unless there is problems getting some acts to agree to play next year instead of 2020. I'd say Disclosure easily the most likely but they could play under it I reckon. Underworld headlining it as someone else said not going to happen. I'm not aware there is even any hype over The Streets now they've kind of come back etc but maybe not in that done.

I know there's been a lot of hype over The Streets coming back and the shows have all gone down very well etc, but them headlining Other over a year after the reunion/shows/hype seems like a push to me and I would've thought they'd be far more suited to WH, especially as people seem pretty indifferent to the new material they've been releasing so a new album may not light the world on fire. Expecting that to be some misinformation. 

36 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

I know there's been a lot of hype over The Streets coming back and the shows have all gone down very well etc, but them headlining Other over a year after the reunion/shows/hype seems like a push to me and I would've thought they'd be far more suited to WH, especially as people seem pretty indifferent to the new material they've been releasing so a new album may not light the world on fire. Expecting that to be some misinformation. 

See WHs headliner I can see. Difference with LCD is as well did they not play the year of their reunion?

42 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

Yeah, and although I rate the LCD gig as one of the best ever Glasto performances for those who turned up, the field wasn't exactly packed.  I'm not sure whether the organisers consider that scheduling to be a success, as it was wildly successful by one metric and a complete flop by another.

5 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Yeah, and although I rate the LCD gig as one of the best ever Glasto performances for those who turned up, the field wasn't exactly packed.  I'm not sure whether the organisers consider that scheduling to be a success, as it was wildly successful by one metric and a complete flop by another.

They’d attract a bigger crowd than LCD did, I suspect.

Really they’ve sold stupid amounts of tickets on this comeback tour so far. The proof is there. Easily on a par with any other Other headline suggestion.

The Strokes are nowhere near as big as they used to be. The last time they did UK festivals (not counting BST as it's not a proper festival) they subbed the 2nd stage at TITP in 2011 (they also co-headliner R&L, sure, but that puts on a level with Pulp and My Chemical Romance who also headlined that year).

ffs lol 

Just now, dentalplan said:

They’d attract a bigger crowd than LCD did, I suspect.

Really they’ve sold stupid amounts of tickets on this comeback tour so far. The proof is there. Easily on a par with any other Other headline suggestion.

Yeah kind of had a look at previous Other headliners after I'd said that and I suppose they're no smaller/less popular than the likes of Alt-J when they headlined, and definitely have more well known songs. Would've made a hell of a lot more sense if it happened this year obviously, but I suppose a new album released between now and the festival will be enough to reignite interest post-reunion (assuming a new album is in the works with all the new material released).