2019 Headliners

rzwodezwo

1 minute ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

It's not the eighties any more though.  We'd see how long it lasted if they put Van Morrison back at the top of the bill.

I dont know if there's really a need to remedy anything as it isnt feeling especially broken at the moment.  The headliner pool isnt endless, but then it wasn't 10 years ago either.

If they consistently did that then absolutely it would err on the lower side of quality!

Don't get me wrong I don't think it needs changing, but I'd certainly like to see them keeping us a bit on our toes

I trust the culture. If guitar rock has generally disappeared up a Brexity post-Oasis cul de sac and the biggest acts in the world are international popmeisters and other gammon infuriators then so be it. 

That said, we're only just starting to see the ramifications of the streaming era on the way that people consume music, so lord only knows what the landscape's going to look like in a few years.

3 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

I trust the culture. If guitar rock has generally disappeared up a Brexity post-Oasis cul de sac and the biggest acts in the world are international popmeisters and other gammon infuriators then so be it. 

That said, we're only just starting to see the ramifications of the streaming era on the way that people consume music, so lord only knows what the landscape's going to look like in a few years.

Give it 10 years and we'll be complaining that the only requirement to headline is one album and two keyboards.

57 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

You trust Post Malone to survive the inevitable shoeing the culture will shortly be dealing him?

It should have happened by now. It's probably not happening at all.

I think Glastonbury is just too old fashioned to follow the charts as they are - it'd never be a success. Colour me gammon but I'd rather they try new indie rock headliners despite being unknown to top 40 listeners than book Migos for an hour headline slot, to which two of them show up albeit twenty minutes late.

Once you gravitate away from flash in the pan flavour of the month sorts there are more substantive, storied pop stars who could do it in their sleep.  Drake's not really my cup of tea, but he feels like a better booking - in terms of popularity and posterity - than bumping up Catfish and the lads.

9 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

It's reductive, sure, but it's difficult to escape the feeling that that's the moment when British rock music - on the whole - became reactionary.

I'm not sure that grunge didn't do something similar to the US.

Yep, it's misty eyed and romantic for sure, but it feels like something was really lost in the space between the clampdown on rave and Cool Britannia at Downing Street.

As for grunge, Nirvana were good precisely because they were the loudest and most self-loathing howl of anguish against that very impasse. 

Edited by Winslow Leach

5 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Possibly telling. Freshly minted article on potential festival anthems for the summer. Contains exactly one non pop or rap track and has a jab at Noel G the Gammon Gatekeeper.

SZA, Brockhampton and Sigrid: 2018’s festival anthems

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2018/may/13/2018-festival-anthems

That Brockhampton track is a chooooooon and a half isn't it.

10 hours ago, battleborn said:

Would Alestorm be big enough to healine other?

If they aren't then they should be.  By that stage of the day I could happily just watch them perform 'Drink' for an hour and half solid.