2019 Headliners

rzwodezwo

14 hours ago, battleborn said:

Could Green Day headline? 

I think they're considered past their peak, and possibly not big enough for Glastonbury demographic. More likely to get a headline slot at other major UK festivals (R&L and IoW comes to my mind). I think the most likely for them now would be an Other stage headline like Metallica were supposedly meant to do before getting bumped up but that might not be enough draw (or pay) for the band. 

3 minutes ago, nikkic said:

Wasn’t there some rumours on here about Green Day last year? Or am I imagining that?

Pretty sure “weak headliner, really strong Other headliner” was the verdict. 

I can't really remember, but have a feeling someone sent me something about Green Day that I never really put any belief in, but mentioned I'd had it (and quite possibly included them as a 'rumour', too).

I get sent all sorts of shite. :lol:

(most are probably sent sincerely, just that the info is duff)

28 minutes ago, Mash011 said:

I'm of the position that green day would be a decent headline booking and will probably do it at some point. Not what they one were but huge band with a huge back catalogue who would put on a very crowd pleasing set. 

Yep, same here. It feels very similar to the Foos headlining - they're a bit cheesy but they put on a good rock show for people who grew up listening to them and they haven't played before so why not?

4 minutes ago, Gucci Piggy said:

Still pissed off by weirdos in the R&L section saying how amazing they are live in 2013, leading to me seeing them over Crystal Fighters/CHVRCHES/A$AP Rocky and being bored out my fucking mind for 2.5 hours.

They can be if you like them even a little bit though. Plus you didn't like any of those other acts in 2013 so why would you have?

2 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

No genre is entirely without merit.  It's not what it is, it's what you do with it.  Every possible flavour of music can be brilliant and there are dozens of examples in every possible category.

Except for pop punk. It's irredeemable.

They exist far beyond a pop punk niche though. And most of their big hits aren't pop punk at all.

Edited by dentalplan

2 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

They can be if you like them even a little bit though. Plus you didn't like any of those other acts in 2013 so why would you have?

Well I would probably have seen CHVRCHES/Crystal Fighters if it wasn't for Green Day's live rep. I listened to both bands when the lineup came out and enjoyed both but I was set on seeing Green Day because of what people on here said about them as a live act.

A$AP Rocky is probably more in hindsight yeah, I don't think I considered seeing him at the time.

I don't think it's that much like the Foos booking. Foos are a much more widely-popular band and have the added bonus of Dave Grohl's celebrity status. They sell more albums and have more recognisable hits.

I don't feel like I come across many people who are into Green Day who aren't/haven't been pop-punk fans, whereas everyone seems to love Foo Fighters (except on music forums).

I think RHCP would be a closer booking to that of Foos.

Just now, Gucci Piggy said:

I don't think it's that much like the Foos booking. Foos are a much more widely-popular band and have the added bonus of Dave Grohl's celebrity status. They sell more albums and have more recognisable hits.

I don't feel like I come across many people who are into Green Day who aren't/haven't been pop-punk fans, whereas everyone seems to love Foo Fighters (except on music forums).

Green Day are definitely in the realm of those two. Good Riddance is definitely as big as Everlong and Under the Bridge, maybe bigger. And then that's obviously not their only anthem. 

And if it's a footrace between Green Day and Red Hot Chili Peppers then Green Day have the advantage of not being under serious scrutiny over events in their past.

I felt like seeing Green Day last February was the end of an era with regards to me liking them loads, but they're good at what they do and I was a big, big fan from the age of like 10 to 18. I rank them alongside Muse who I also thought were amazing in that time. I don't think they'll headline Glastonbury but to suggest they're not big enough to do so is crazy talk. 

I've always thought it's unfair how they get thrown in with pop punk, I've always seen them as a punk rock band who became a pop rock band, and don't really see why they get thrown in with shite like Sum 41. It's like how Deftones get labelled nu-metal and get thrown in with that scene, but they're just a metal band who were big at the same as nu-metal was.

32 minutes ago, Gucci Piggy said:

Still pissed off by weirdos in the R&L section saying how amazing they are live in 2013, leading to me seeing them over Crystal Fighters/CHVRCHES/A$AP Rocky and being bored out my fucking mind for 2.5 hours.

Why on earth did you stay for 2 and a half hours? Haha. I'd heard RHCP were good live but I fucked off at Leeds 2016 about 3 songs in. 

2 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

Green Day are definitely in the realm of those two. Good Riddance is definitely as big as Everlong and Under the Bridge, maybe bigger. And then that's obviously not their only anthem.  

And if it's a footrace between Green Day and Red Hot Chili Peppers then Green Day have the advantage of not being under serious scrutiny over events in their past.

I'd say that Basket Case and American Idiot are both bigger than Good Riddance, AI in particular was feckin massive when it came out.

They've enough stuff that people are familiar with to pad out a headline set - Basket Case, AI, Good Riddance , Longview, Holiday, When September Ends, When I Come Around, Welcome to Paradise...

Plus they've been on the Simpsons.

5 minutes ago, Odessa said:

I felt like seeing Green Day last February was the end of an era with regards to me liking them loads, but they're good at what they do and I was a big, big fan from the age of like 10 to 18. I rank them alongside Muse who I also thought were amazing in that time. I don't think they'll headline Glastonbury but to suggest they're not big enough to do so is crazy talk. 

I've always thought it's unfair how they get thrown in with pop punk, I've always seen them as a punk rock band who became a pop rock band, and don't really see why they get thrown in with shite like Sum 41. It's like how Deftones get labelled nu-metal and get thrown in with that scene, but they're just a metal band who were big at the same as nu-metal was.

Why on earth did you stay for 2 and a half hours? Haha. I'd heard RHCP were good live but I fucked off at Leeds 2016 about 3 songs in. 

Couple of reasons. They were playing one of their albums that everyone said was great so I stayed for that (it was rubbish and all sounded the same), they hadn't played most of the songs I knew yet, I was near the front with most of my group of friends and no one else was leaving and I couldn't be arsed to fight my way out of the crowd. Plus I was drenched from head to toe and had lost the will to live; think I just stood there hoping the end would hurry up.

Weird that you'd heard that about RHCP. Common opinion on them is that they're awful live, especially on this forum.

23 minutes ago, Gucci Piggy said:

Chatting shite here tbh Will. They're massive and very much a crossover appeal kind of act. Plus they've got buckets of nostalgia appeal and I reckon there's a lot of people who'd catch them at glasto who wouldn't think about coughing up for their own gig. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

I'd say that Basket Case and American Idiot are both bigger than Good Riddance, AI in particular was feckin massive when it came out.

They've enough stuff that people are familiar with to pad out a headline set - Basket Case, AI, Good Riddance , Longview, Holiday, When September Ends, When I Come Around, Welcome to Paradise...

Plus they've been on the Simpsons.

Dunno what Longview, When I Come Around or Welcome to Paradise are. Is it possible they were big songs at the time but haven't stood the test of time in terms of popularity?

Foos have Everlong, Best of You, All My Life, My Hero, Learn to Fly, Times Like These, The Pretender; all of which I knew before I was a fan or had listened to any of their albums.