2019 Headliners

rzwodezwo

There's only one thing I trust less than Mike Love and that's The Sun. Still, Mike and Bruce do have a pretty good band and on purely musical basis, not having Brian's vocals is a good thing.  They do have the name, which counts for something with the casuals. Maybe not the actual legend slot, but Pyramid daytime material for sure.

Not a patch on Wilson's band though, particularly Matt Jardine, Al's son, who has the closest thing to that full effortless falsetto Brian had I've ever heard with any Beach Boys bands. Better than Jeff Foskett, better than Carl and better than whoever was touring with Mike in the mid-later noughties (Christian Love?)

But yeah, "The Beach Boys" are methodone compared to the heroin hit of Brian's band, but would still be shit loads of fun on the Pyramid.

23 minutes ago, Mash011 said:

Tbh that interview looks to me like Mike Love saying he wants the current """"""""""Beach Boys""""""""""""" he tours with to go to Glasto than saying that's actually on the cards with Brian.

Yeah that's true actually, seeing as the quote about doing "that slot" comes straight after he mentions doing 175 shows last year, which was obviously with the current Beach Boys.

3 minutes ago, Gucci Piggy said:

Yeah that's true actually, seeing as the quote about doing "that slot" comes straight after he mentions doing 175 shows last year, which was obviously with the current Beach Boys.

Also says in the blurb about answering whether he axed Brian or not, when it doesn't. Seems like a load of different answers to unspecified questions put in an order to tell a different story.

Edited by dentalplan

Just now, CaledonianGonzo said:

Mike Love's malevolent villainy makes him an ideal candidate for the bonhomie, charisma and communal good humour of the Legends Slot.

Festivalgoers at the Glastonbury Festival were left outraged on Sunday when Mike Love, in the middle of a performance with his band The Beach Boys, called festival chief Michael Eavis a "chickenshit" for not allowing his band a headline slot, Paul McCartney a "fuckhead" for rejecting the offer of a collaboration, while former bandmate Brian Wilson was labelled a "cuck".

a more leftfield choice for the legends slot...?

https://www.chieftain.com/lifestyles/entertainment/joan-armatrading-wants-glastonbury-legends-slot/article_3605a105-8ea2-597b-9ab7-40251715f38b.html

When she played at West Holts around 10 years ago she was spectacularly good, one of the best sets I've ever seen. She was also damned good on the Pyramid somewhen in the 90s.

1 hour ago, eFestivals said:

https://www.chieftain.com/lifestyles/entertainment/joan-armatrading-wants-glastonbury-legends-slot/article_3605a105-8ea2-597b-9ab7-40251715f38b.html

When she played at West Holts around 10 years ago she was spectacularly good, one of the best sets I've ever seen. She was also damned good on the Pyramid somewhen in the 90s.

Not too sure she'd have a big enough pull for the legends slot, but I have been thinking that she might make an appearance on the farm in 2019/the near future. She's stopped doing major tours now which probably increases her chances of being booked.

Saw her 3 or 4 years ago in Durham, was a really incredible gig.

9 minutes ago, SomeoneListeningIn said:

Not too sure she'd have a big enough pull for the legends slot, but I have been thinking that she might make an appearance on the farm in 2019/the near future. She's stopped doing major tours now which probably increases her chances of being booked.

Saw her 3 or 4 years ago in Durham, was a really incredible gig.

she is very good but no way is she big enough for that particular slot. main stage third on is about her size level IMO

1 hour ago, eFestivals said:

Not outright legend but the likes of Don McLean and Patti Smith have done early Sunday Pyramid slots before, could easily see her fitting in there.

Just now, zahidf said:

she is very good but no way is she big enough for that particular slot. main stage third on is about her size level IMO

Yep I was thinking an earlyish Pyramid slot would be most likely. Maybe Acoustic Stage headliner?

1 minute ago, battleborn said:

The Strokes are still together.

Led Zepellin have been building up to a reunion for a year.

And the Beach Boys appear to be in talks with Brian Wilson. 

Piece of piss. Anything less would be a poor showing. 

I'm sure The Strokes will play together as a band in the next few years but they are certainly less 'together' than your average existing band, and will only reconvene in the event of a fat paycheck much like your average defunct band.

Can't believe you missed out R.E.M., to be honest.