2019 Headliners

rzwodezwo

5 minutes ago, SomeoneListeningIn said:

Don't really see why either of those are laughable suggestions. Both very feasible imo.

because neither are remotely near headlining Glastonbury level.

Stormzy has 1 album, a fairly crap live show, and hasn't a hope in hell of headlining Glastonbury 2019, regardless of how well his next album does, even assuming it's out by this time next year.

Edited by ghostdancer1

Just now, ghostdancer1 said:

Stormzy has 1 album, a fairly crap live act, and hasn't a hope in hell of headlining Glastonbury 2019, regardless of how well his next album does, even assuming it's out by this time next year.

I'd say the 1975 are one more successful album away from being ready. They're not my thing but they're actually pretty fecking big, and only getting bigger.

2 minutes ago, ghostdancer1 said:

Stormzy has 1 album, a fairly crap live act, and hasn't a hope in hell of headlining Glastonbury 2019, regardless of how well his next album does, even assuming it's out by this time next year.

They're both surely towards the top of the list of future headliners though. If Glastonbury aren't willing to bump up acts like Stormzy/The 1975 then they'll soon be booking repeat headliners every year.

Also Emily has spoken highly of Stormzy, tipping him as a future headliner. If his sophomore album is released a few months before June 2019 and is as successful as GSAP then I think it's very likely he'll headline.

Future headliner as in maybe 5 or 6 years from now. He's big in the UK but fairly anonymous outside of it. If they are going to book a rap headliner in the next year or two its not gonna be stormzy. It'll be some huge international artisst, kendrick or drake basically

Not sure I agree on Stormzy tbh, still think he'd be more likely to sub this or headline the other. A couple of years ago I was thinking Skepta would headline one day and now that is increasingly unlikely imo, and I'm wouldn't be surprised if the same thing happens to Stormzy (the Linkin Park and Little Mix collabs are very questionable decisions imo, as is the Ibiza residency which I have heard isn't selling very well). It depends on whether he can build a similar level of hype on his second album as he had on his first...

1975 as much as I loathe them are definitely the biggest "new" band imo (at least I can't think of anyone bigger, with Foals dropping off a bit etc.) and wouldn't be surprised to see them headline this next year (though I expect them to do a Foals and sub glasto & coheadline R&L the same year).

21 minutes ago, Mattymooz said:

Not sure I agree on Stormzy tbh, still think he'd be more likely to sub this or headline the other. A couple of years ago I was thinking Skepta would headline one day and now that is increasingly unlikely imo, and I'm wouldn't be surprised if the same thing happens to Stormzy (the Linkin Park and Little Mix collabs are very questionable decisions imo, as is the Ibiza residency which I have heard isn't selling very well). It depends on whether he can build a similar level of hype on his second album as he had on his first...

1975 as much as I loathe them are definitely the biggest "new" band imo (at least I can't think of anyone bigger, with Foals dropping off a bit etc.) and wouldn't be surprised to see them headline this next year (though I expect them to do a Foals and sub glasto & coheadline R&L the same year).

Stormzy subbed Other last year which is basically 2 slots below headlining the festival, is one of the most rapidly rising stars we've seen in British music recently and just beat Ed Sheeran to both album of the year and male solo artist of the year at the BRIT Awards, which are effectively just a popularity contest.

He's way more mainstream than Skepta and would seem much more at home headlining Glastonbury than him.

1 hour ago, ghostdancer1 said:

Stormzy has 1 album, a fairly crap live show, and hasn't a hope in hell of headlining Glastonbury 2019, regardless of how well his next album does, even assuming it's out by this time next year.

As I just said, Stormzy just subbed Other on his first album which is basically 2 slots below headlining the Pyramid, is rising in popularity at a crazy rate (he was probably more popular than all the Other Stage headliners by the time the festival came around last year) and has just beaten Ed Sheeran to BRIT Awards for album of the year and male solo artist.

Obviously right now it'd be dumb but we're talking about after a new album. It only has to move him up two slots from where his debut got him.

We'll have to see how his return goes, of course. Nothing is guaranteed.

1 hour ago, ghostdancer1 said:

2019 might be a bit of a push but if he gets another big album out soon then there's really no difference between him headlining and Arctic Monkeys' first headline slot. 

47 minutes ago, Mattymooz said:

the Linkin Park and Little Mix collabs are very questionable decisions imo

To you, maybe. Their net impact on his reach and popularity will almost certainly be a positive one.

Thing from today's Sun

WOULDN'T IT BE NICE 

Beach Boys in Glastonbury comeback talks after not so Good Vibrations since 2012 reunion tour

In an exclusive interview, Mike reveals he is surfing differences out with cousin Brian — and answers whether he axed him

THE Beach Boys spent half a century sending out Good Vibrations but could have used some themselves.

Relations between singer Mike Love and bandmate Brian Wilson have been strained since the end of their 2012 reunion tour, but in a miraculous U-turn Mike has raised hopes of a full-on comeback.

In an exclusive interview with Bizarre, he revealed he is back in contact with his cousin Brian — and desperate to perform in Glastonbury’s legends slot, which has previously hosted Dolly Parton and Lionel Richie.

Brian claimed he and the other original members had been “fired” by co-founder Mike after their 50th anniversary celebrations. But Mike — who tours as The Beach Boys — insisted he hadn’t wielded the axe.

Talking about the possibility of performing with Brian again, he said: “Yeah, it would be good if we could find the right way in which to do it. We are in contact.

“He had a back operation the other day so I sent him a message. There’s a lot of love there.

“There’s been nothing discussed recently but I’m not against anything. Anything could happen. I would absolutely love to go to Glastonbury.

“We did 175 shows last year so we stay pretty busy. We would love nothing more than to do that slot at the festival.”

Mike and Brian, along with bandmates Al Jardine and Bruce Johnston, have been involved in a new album, The Beach Boys With The Royal Philharmonic Orchestra, which is out on June 8 and features their original vocals from 17 of their hits.

Mike hinted they could reunite live with the orchestra at Glasto.

The singer, who plays London’s Hampton Court Palace next month, said: “I prefer the live music side.

“I’m hoping we will be able to do something special with the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra, perhaps.”

Organiser Michael Eavis better get on the phone.

Edited by dentalplan

2 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

Thing from today's Sun

WOULDN'T IT BE NICE 

Beach Boys in Glastonbury comeback talks after not so Good Vibrations since 2012 reunion tour

In an exclusive interview, Mike reveals he is surfing differences out with cousin Brian — and answers whether he axed him

THE Beach Boys spent half a century sending out Good Vibrations but could have used some themselves.

Relations between singer Mike Love and bandmate Brian Wilson have been strained since the end of their 2012 reunion tour, but in a miraculous U-turn Mike has raised hopes of a full-on comeback.

In an exclusive interview with Bizarre, he revealed he is back in contact with his cousin Brian — and desperate to perform in Glastonbury’s legends slot, which has previously hosted Dolly Parton and Lionel Richie.

Brian claimed he and the other original members had been “fired” by co-founder Mike after their 50th anniversary celebrations. But Mike — who tours as The Beach Boys — insisted he hadn’t wielded the axe.

Talking about the possibility of performing with Brian again, he said: “Yeah, it would be good if we could find the right way in which to do it. We are in contact.

“He had a back operation the other day so I sent him a message. There’s a lot of love there.

“There’s been nothing discussed recently but I’m not against anything. Anything could happen. I would absolutely love to go to Glastonbury.

“We did 175 shows last year so we stay pretty busy. We would love nothing more than to do that slot at the festival.”

Mike and Brian, along with bandmates Al Jardine and Bruce Johnston, have been involved in a new album, The Beach Boys With The Royal Philharmonic Orchestra, which is out on June 8 and features their original vocals from 17 of their hits.

Mike hinted they could reunite live with the orchestra at Glasto.

The singer, who plays London’s Hampton Court Palace next month, said: “I prefer the live music side.

“I’m hoping we will be able to do something special with the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra, perhaps.”

Organiser Michael Eavis better get on the phone.

So based on the quotes they're actually not in talks?

They also didn't mention the legends' slot but one of the quotes says "we would love nothing more than to do that slot at the festival", so I'm presuming the legends' slot must have been asked about by the interviewer or something.

Just now, Gucci Piggy said:

So based on the quotes they're actually not in talks?

They also didn't mention the legends' slot but one of the quotes says "we would love nothing more than to do that slot at the festival", so I'm presuming the legends' slot must have been asked about by the interviewer or something.

Yeah something like that. It's the Sun. *shrug*

Would be cool with me though, if the festival is still searching for it's Sunday teatime act. It's not a straight-up repeat booking of Brian Wilson as the Sunday legend, and the orchestra would make it different enough so it's not just a worse version of when he played all that time ago.