2019 Headliners

rzwodezwo

11 minutes ago, DareToDibble said:

As a headliner? No chance, surely. They're not big enough.

I think The 1975 are a fairly decent shout for 2019. The Killers, too?.

Coldplay will almost certainly be at the 50th anniversary. 

The Killers are headlining Latitude this year so I think any chance of them returning to headline Glastonbury is long gone, hence why they were given the secret slot in the John Peel last year.

I think Beyoncé's out. Like, I couldn't see OTR II happening throughout this year if she was preparing for a solo tour. Maybe the year after with a new album in tow?

Warm to Rihanna being the pop/non-rock headliner. It looks like she is setting up for a new album and she's probably not gonna be doing the big stadium tours anymore so might be looking at festivals again.

33 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

I think Beyoncé's out. Like, I couldn't see OTR II happening throughout this year if she was preparing for a solo tour. Maybe the year after with a new album in tow?

Warm to Rihanna being the pop/non-rock headliner. It looks like she is setting up for a new album and she's probably not gonna be doing the big stadium tours anymore so might be looking at festivals again.

Rihanna is setting up to launch a lingerie line if that's what you're talking about :P No hints for new music yet

4 hours ago, FloorFiller said:

The Killers are headlining Latitude this year so I think any chance of them returning to headline Glastonbury is long gone, hence why they were given the secret slot in the John Peel last year.

I assumed it was down to Lattitude growing rather than The Killers shrinking.

1 minute ago, Steve1000 said:

I assumed it was down to Lattitude growing rather than The Killers shrinking.

Little bit of both. The Killers definitely aren't quite the powerhouse they once were, and Latitude seem to be making headliner bids for major festival headliners on a downward trend in recent year, with Noel Gallagher, Mumford & Sons, and now The Killers. The Killers definitely aren't big, or more specifically, relevant enough to be booked to headline by Glastonbury now.

7 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

Little bit of both. The Killers definitely aren't quite the powerhouse they once were, and Latitude seem to be making headliner bids for major festival headliners on a downward trend in recent year, with Noel Gallagher, Mumford & Sons, and now The Killers. The Killers definitely aren't big, or more specifically, relevant enough to be booked to headline by Glastonbury now.

They're big enough to headline Glastonbury for sure. Sold out Hyde Park quickly last year, did an arena tour since and are still headlining IOW, Latitude, TRNSMT and stadiums this summer. Their relevance is disputable of couse, as it is for most headline-sized rock bands, but they're not too far out the other end that they'd be met with shrugs and "the killers songs" google searches.

The Killers playing Latitude is just a very big thing for Latitude really, as far as I can see. You can't even find a poster where their name is on the same line as the other headliners, in a move that is the festival lineup equivalent of Donald Trump pushing the Montenegro PM out of the way and standing at the front, puffing his chest out. It's just a bit of a weird year for UK festivals.

The Killers are a bigger ticket seller than Radiohead and Florence and the Machine. And 2015 The Who also I think but I didn't keep tabs on their tour so not as confident saying that. 

They would obviously be above Latitude if they weren't doing it on top of all those other gigs. Comparing them to Mumfords and Noel Gallagher is ridiculous.

14 hours ago, FloorFiller said:

Yeah I think that's wrong a bit, I still think The Killers could headline myself but feel next year would have been more ideal in a year they could get away with it more maybe. They still have all the hits for it but having done HP and then the gigs this year I can only see next if they settled for less.

Noel Gallagher was never a major festival headliner. He never got asked to headline anything but T when they were almost down and out when he did Latitude....it was a shocking. The Killers are doing the same thing in a way of TRNSMT this year but they at least have sold out their own big outdoor HP show which is hard 

12 hours ago, GETOFFAMYLAWN said:

There are only two places to be when Beyonce is on; the Pyramid feild, or the wrong side of history.

If that clash happened again I'd make the same decision. In that case the two 'wrongs' would make a right side of history as far as I'm concerned.

I don't care what stage they'd play as long as there's room for the crowd. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Badlands said:

Cannot see ‘yonce having the will to do it again to be honest. She’s got nothing to gain in coming back at the moment. Maybe when she’s on the decline but that doesn’t seem like it’s anytime soon.

Rihanna isn’t a bad shout mind.

Reckon Rihanna's still big enough? We were debating whether Gaga was last year and I'd have thought they're on a similar level now. A few years back (maybe 2015) Rihanna was one of my main predictions to headline but now I'm not sure. Didn't her last tour struggle massively? In the pop/rap realm (grouping them together because I can't see them booking more than one non-"rock" headliner) I'd be less surprised to see Stormzy/Kendrick/Drake/Swift.

On Beyoncé I'm inclined to agree. The only reason I can think of for her to come back and do it again is that she hasn't done it since she became the biggest thing on planet earth (she was a sub at TITP that year and I think was supposed to sub Coldplay at Glasto until Prince pulled out or something?). Whilst her set in 2011 obviously went down brilliantly, she's a completely different beast now and might want to showcase that on the biggest stage outside of America. She's presumably aware of how big a deal Glastonbury is so if she does want to do that somewhere outside of America it makes some sense for her to return.

But yeah, on balance she's not someone I'm particularly expecting to return imminently, yet I also wouldn't be surprised if she does.