2019 Headliners

rzwodezwo

14 minutes ago, Meerkat said:

Kind of an unrelated post but do you think we'd ever get to the point where Glastonbury would consider using co-headliners? Or is Glastonbury such a big draw that they'd always be able to attract 'big' headliners. Maybe the reputation of Glasto would allow it to take a risk of giving an outright headline spot to someone who would be considered a co headliner at somewhere like reading 

Well they've lined up a "4th headliner" before (Coldplay in 2009 or 2010 or something) and persistently refer to the Sunday teatime act as 'kind of like a 4th headliner'.

If you're asking if they'd have two bands 'headline' on one night because neither are big enough to headline under their own right, then no I don't think they would ever do that (I don't really agree Reading think like that). They'd just take a punt on a headliner instead - they're in the business of bigging up an act's headline slot not compensating for how poor it is.

11 hours ago, Alex DeLarge said:

I think there are a few reasons why it wouldn't use co-headliners to be honest.

1. The most obvious thing to consider, R+L can swap their co-headliners so each one finishes a different festival, whereas Glastonbury can't do that.

2. Glastonbury goes for (at least at this point in time) massive headliners and I can't imagine them picking two smaller acts if they can help it. Obviously with the headliner pool getting smaller they're going to have to consider their options, but I just can't see them advertising it in that way.

3. Glastonbury is so ridiculously massive that bands who co-headline Reading (Foals, Disclosure etc.) headline the other stage/ sub and IIRC, Metallica were considered for an Other Stage slot, one of the biggest bands on Earth (correct me if I'm wrong though) 

Mad Cool festival in Madrid is only at one venue and got Co-headliners on the Friday and Saturday this year. 
I sincerely hope that Glastonbury don't go down this route.  

18 minutes ago, The life of Pablo said:

Mad Cool festival in Madrid is only at one venue and got Co-headliners on the Friday and Saturday this year. 
I sincerely hope that Glastonbury don't go down this route.  

It doesn't really matter to me what they want to call it as long as the quality is there. Arctics subbed by Jack White, Depeche Mode subbed by QOTSA, or calling the 4 of them coheadliners...the end result is the same. And strong.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Odessa said:

It doesn't really matter to me what they want to call it as long as the quality is there. Arctics subbed by Jack White, Depeche Mode subbed by QOTSA, or calling the 4 of them coheadliners...the end result is the same. And strong.

Yep. "Co-headliners" is really just a marketing term to appease one of the acts or in the case of Reading to try and justify a weak headliner. In 2008 Glastonbury had The Verve as headliners and Leonard Cohen playing below them with the same amount of time - arguably that would be an example of it but nobody used the term.

51 minutes ago, priest17 said:

Surely co-headliners get a headliners fee? Surely Glasto couldn't afford that?

Glastonbury presumably can juggle their overall performance budget however they see fit so paying the sub headliner the same as the actual headliner should be possible and may have already happened, but there would be way more too it than that. A "headliners fee" at Glastonbury will typically be a fraction of what the same act could get paid at say IOW or BST or wherever. The main reason that happens is the exposure - in addition to the money, the act gets a free ~90 minute commercial at 10pm on BBC2 watched by a couple million people as well as a huge amount of other radio, tv, online, and newspaper coverage (at this point, literally worldwide) and a huge amount of hype to go with it and highlights being played forever more.. A band given the chance to play at 8pm in the daylight and getting overshadowed in just about every aspect probably won't be as willing to take the same pay cut unless they're desperate to play for whatever reason.

Edited by incident

Faithless to sub other? I watch the Faithless performance form a few years ago on Youtube at least once a month. This being a big anniversary could it become a bit of a 'best of' collection of artists? 

Edited by Ex_ollie
Realized this was the headliners thread...

On 27/03/2018 at 10:02 AM, Alex DeLarge said:

IIRC, Metallica were considered for an Other Stage slot, one of the biggest bands on Earth (correct me if I'm wrong though) 

If by considered you mean that there were people on this forum who thought it was a possibility that Metallica would headline the Other Stage in 2014, then yes they were. If you mean that anyone involved in the actual booking of Glastonbury considered them as a second stage headliner, I'm pretty confident in saying no.

20 minutes ago, Plussix said:

If by considered you mean that there were people on this forum who thought it was a possibility that Metallica would headline the Other Stage in 2014, then yes they were. If you mean that anyone involved in the actual booking of Glastonbury considered them as a second stage headliner, I'm pretty confident in saying no.

info that's come my way says very different, and they were going to be on the Other Stage because the headline slots were already believed by the festival to be filled (they thought Prince was going to do the Pyramid slot Metallica ended up filling, basically).

I can't prove that of course because what comes my way is only 'gossip', tho I had plenty of info come at me about Metallica over a number of months and including from some of the better sources that sometimes give me info.

2 hours ago, eFestivals said:

info that's come my way says very different, and they were going to be on the Other Stage because the headline slots were already believed by the festival to be filled (they thought Prince was going to do the Pyramid slot Metallica ended up filling, basically).

I can't prove that of course because what comes my way is only 'gossip', tho I had plenty of info come at me about Metallica over a number of months and including from some of the better sources that sometimes give me info.

Well fair enough then.

16 hours ago, Ex_ollie said:

Faithless to sub other? I watch the Faithless performance form a few years ago on Youtube at least once a month. This being a big anniversary could it become a bit of a 'best of' collection of artists? 

2020 is the big anniversary not 2019

20 minutes ago, Odessa said:

Dunno if Stone Roses are ever getting back together again again, but if they do it won't be as soon as next year.

Ian Brown (not as headliner of course) might be a better shout, given that he was working on solo material last time anyone bumped into a family member of his in the Arndale Market.

Don't know where he'd play now. Post-reunion his name could be embiggened or the 'closest thing to Stone Roses' itch may have been scratched. I'm open to suggestions though as I'm just finishing up a fresh stage prediction and that's a nice one to chuck in.

Edited by dentalplan

24 minutes ago, Odessa said:

Dunno if Stone Roses are ever getting back together again again, but if they do it won't be as soon as next year.

I reckon they would one last time but if only Brown then I reckon he'd sub Other/3rd down Pyramid. Liam must be a banker atm for a high Pyramid slot next year.

I think undercard wise will surprise many as playing this will take the 50th away, I think that one will be majorly strong with acts accepting to play lower to feature.

1 hour ago, thewayiam said:

I reckon they would one last time but if only Brown then I reckon he'd sub Other/3rd down Pyramid. Liam must be a banker atm for a high Pyramid slot next year.

I think undercard wise will surprise many as playing this will take the 50th away, I think that one will be majorly strong with acts accepting to play lower to feature.

Subbing Other feels right to me too, but I would have said that before the Roses reunion. I've no idea if that changes his standing. I would expect him to steer clear of Roses stuff if he's trying to re-establish himself as a solo artist. There's certainly enough for a very enjoyable set of music without any Roses tunes.

I'd be all over an Ian Brown solo set.

2 hours ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Subbing Other feels right to me too, but I would have said that before the Roses reunion. I've no idea if that changes his standing. I would expect him to steer clear of Roses stuff if he's trying to re-establish himself as a solo artist. There's certainly enough for a very enjoyable set of music without any Roses tunes.

I'd be all over an Ian Brown solo set.

You don't get an Ian Brown set without a couple of Roses songs.