2019 Headliners

rzwodezwo

1 minute ago, Gilgamesh69 said:

Can anyone see Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds headlining someday? They've got a 35+ year long career (40+ if you include The Birthday Party), so many of their albums have been critically acclaimed, they have a unique sound, and I've heard so many good things about their live shows.

They certainly deserve it, but unless they have some unusual surge in popularity I can't see them ever headlining the Pyramid Stage. The Other Stage would be more likely.

8 minutes ago, Gilgamesh69 said:

Besides, take Radiohead for example. Critically acclaimed and have headlined three times. Yet if I were to go out in the streets and ask people about Radiohead, I imagine more than half of them would probably not be that familiar with them. "Oh they're the band that did that Creep song aren't they?"

Radiohead were one of the biggest bands in the UK by the end of the 90s though, and have continued to maintain a large loyal fanbase. Their headline sets from 1997 and 2003 are considered to be some of the best headline sets ever at Glastonbury, which probably helped them being booked again last year. As I said, Nick Cave ATBS have never had such a surge in popularity that would propel them to the heights of headlining Glastonbury. Bands don't headline because of how critically acclaimed they are. It probably helps, but if critical acclaim was favoured over popularity then The National would have been headlining over Ed Sheeran last year.

Also like you say, pretty much everyone knows Creep. I doubt you'd find many on the street who can name a Nick Cave song. Red Right Hand perhaps, and that's probably because of Peaky Blinders.

Edited by SomeoneListeningIn

13 minutes ago, Gilgamesh69 said:

Can anyone see Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds headlining someday? They've got a 35+ year long career (40+ if you include The Birthday Party), so many of their albums have been critically acclaimed, they have a unique sound, and I've heard so many good things about their live shows.

I think they will one day. They're getting to the height of their popularity now while simultaneously becoming one of the longest surviving bands in alternative rock. Considering how thin on the ground we are of legendary acts that want to headline the festival, I think they're approaching that upper echelon once a few more have cleared off. I see it a bit like old Neil Young being down to sub Glastonbury while in his early 50's and coming back to headline as a veteran.

10 minutes ago, Gilgamesh69 said:

Is Depeche Mode a possibility? Not necessarily next year but someday. I mean they're critically acclaimed, popular, just did a huge arena/stadium tour, and they have  more than enough songs for it.

By the way, is their IoW show an exclusive?

Not an exclusive but I don't think they'll crop up anywhere else in the UK.

Someday they might. They've supposedly turned down Glastonbury in the past because it doesn't pay enough but of course some acts have been convinced there's something beyond the fee. They only tend to tour for a bit over a year however so it won't be until the next album tour, which I would assume is 2021 going off their usual pattern.

On 2/7/2018 at 1:29 PM, priest17 said:

I was convinced their last album would push them up to the top but as you say it's at the very least kept them at subheadlining (which I think they pulled off really well last time). I'd say they could do it if they gamble and take an innovative step forward, reckon that the fests next few risks will probably be trying to push more female acts in that direction though.

I really think they should have headlined instead of Muse in 2016 and The XX as well last year but the festival seems to have stopped taking those sort of risks, they're arguable both bigger acts than Muse and Kings of Leon were when they first headlined.

9 hours ago, Gilgamesh69 said:

Is Depeche Mode a possibility? Not necessarily next year but someday. I mean they're critically acclaimed, popular, just did a huge arena/stadium tour, and they have  more than enough songs for it.

By the way, is their IoW show an exclusive?

I would have thought yes but after IOW have them as a co-headliner, I think Glastonbury would either have to suddenly do one of them which I don't see or get them to agree to close the Pyramid stage....surely a 2nd position down is too light as well?, I imagine they will close after Liam at IOW. 

On 08/02/2018 at 5:28 PM, Gilgamesh69 said:

I see Other stage headliner but nothing else. I'm not sure their sub last time was hugely attended and tbf it should have been Other stage headliner last time as the sub isn't really for them.....there is no in between I feel, you like or you don't and as someone suggested unless you like them you probably can't name a song.

12 hours ago, dentalplan said:

Not an exclusive but I don't think they'll crop up anywhere else in the UK.

Someday they might. They've supposedly turned down Glastonbury in the past because it doesn't pay enough but of course some acts have been convinced there's something beyond the fee. They only tend to tour for a bit over a year however so it won't be until the next album tour, which I would assume is 2021 going off their usual pattern.

It’s exactly this reason, Glastonbury don’t pay enough for them to be bothered about doing it.  

I’ll find out early if they are though but yeah.... doubtful unless a massive change of heart.

Don't see The Weeknd ever headlining. He would've made a good sub if they'd had nabbed him at an earlier date but he's probably too big to be accepting that position now and I think popularity wise he's probably peaked, or at least plateaued below being an essential headliner act. Can't see him ever being near the top of the list, and I expect even now he'd be less than willing to take Glastonbury's low pay.

5 hours ago, sisco said:

It’s exactly this reason, Glastonbury don’t pay enough for them to be bothered about doing it.  

I’ll find out early if they are though but yeah.... doubtful unless a massive change of heart.

True as this may have been, is this still the case since they headlined the 6 music festival in Glasgow last year.

If it was the BBC coverage that interested them enough to take that slot then surely they would be thinking positively about the Pyramid now?

19 hours ago, not worthy said:

True as this may have been, is this still the case since they headlined the 6 music festival in Glasgow last year.

If it was the BBC coverage that interested them enough to take that slot then surely they would be thinking positively about the Pyramid now?

Can only say what I was told mate.  Things change and of course if they just wanted the coverage to highlight a greatest hits album etc... then I’d understand it.

@eFestivals knows my source and it certainly helped him get the IOW news before others.