2019 Headliners

rzwodezwo

4 hours ago, vintagelaureate said:

I don't think they would be. DMC does loads of little events through his writing, I've spoken to him a couple of times (about comics!) but I don't think they'd be in it just for the money. 

Interesting fact - do you know how DMC kept his shoes on with no laces? He used to buy them half a size/size to small to keep them tight. 

Hmm. That sounds clever until you see the state of his crippled toes.

18 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

It was said on here that RHCP offered to play for free in the 90’s but were declined by Eavis.

They could not Give It Away, Give It Away, Give It Away now.

They were booked to play in the 90’s tho. Eavis might have just temporarily froze them out because of the ignominy of having to book Lenny Kravitz as a replacement.

2 hours ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Bad things do tend to happen in threes, but let's not actively hope for it.

Hey I’m not hoping for willy socks, I can just see them on the horizon.

1 hour ago, tjamest said:

I still can't forget or forgive the snoozfest when they played Leeds festival in 07

I saw them in 06 and they were dull but then I saw them again last year and they were awesome and that was without frusciante! I think it just depends on what sort of a mood they’re in on the night.

8 minutes ago, Tartan_Glasto said:

I'm having a day where I feel pretty down about no Glastonbury this year :(

I've only been to the last three! Can't imagine how it is for you folks that have been going for years!

I almost certainly wouldn't have been able to go this year anyway so it's not too bad for me.

On the bright side, it's only 10 months until T-Day.

5 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

I almost certainly wouldn't have been able to go this year anyway so it's not too bad for me.

On the bright side, it's only 10 months until T-Day.

This is true...

I think my friends that always manage to get lucky with tickets won't be going next year so will have to be nice to them to still get them to try for me come October!

26 minutes ago, Tartan_Glasto said:

This is true...

I think my friends that always manage to get lucky with tickets won't be going next year so will have to be nice to them to still get them to try for me come October!

I will have a space to try for you, we only have a group of four next time round. Just remind me!

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, ghostdancer1 said:

did that actually happen according to any official interview, or just another one of the several nonsense things that gets repeated on here that is almost certainly not true?

According to what Eavis told me at the time, they were turned away because the top slots were full.

http://www.efestivals.co.uk/news/07/070123a.shtml

The original music week article seems to have disappeared, so I can't check what exactly was said.

4 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

According to what Eavis told me at the time, they were turned away because the top slots were full.

The original music week article seems to have disappeared, so I can't check what exactly was said.

That makes much more sense than Glastonbury turning down one of the world’s biggest bands on a freebie while actively looking for a headliner based on personal tastes or something or other.

10 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

That makes much more sense than Glastonbury turning down one of the world’s biggest bands on a freebie while actively looking for a headliner based on personal tastes or something or other.

if I remember rightly, the words Elbourne was reported to have used when talking about it weren't exactly flattering, and i decided to play it down in what i reported of it.

But (from what i can remember) that was Martin talking to a room of industry types, and where he was saying stuff he never expected to be reported, so they were probably flippant throwaway words rather than anything considered.

5 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

if I remember rightly, the words Elbourne was reported to have used when talking about it weren't exactly flattering, and i decided to play it down in what i reported of it.

But (from what i can remember) that was Martin talking to a room of industry types, and where he was saying stuff he never expected to be reported, so they were probably flippant throwaway words rather than anything considered.

Oh I’m absolutely not insinuating that Martin or Michael or anyone involved in music does in fact like the Red Hot Chili Peppers’ music but they’d just have to book them if  offered them while looking for headliners.

The thing about them not being interested in doing Glasto I reckon might well change with a scarcity of other festivals for them to do. And the last time they skipped fests to do stadiums and Knebworth was a noted balls-up.

2 hours ago, eFestivals said:

Yeah, that's how I remember it.  Something along the lines of no room for a "band of that size".