2019 Headliners

rzwodezwo

2 minutes ago, Zac Quinn said:

Macklemore song from a few years ago which basically went 'okay this is a song about marriage equality but DON'T WORRY I'M NOT ACTUALLY GAY PLEASE DON'T STOP BUYING MY RECORDS'.

Better than nothing though, and could encourage people to take an interest in equality irrespective of their own sexuality

5 minutes ago, Steve1000 said:

Better than nothing though, and could encourage people to take an interest in equality irrespective of their own sexuality

I agree it's better than nothing, but as long as people still feel the need to spend the first verse of songs in support of the LGBTQ movement clarifying 'yeah but I'm not ACTUALLY gay please still play me on the radio', there's still a problem there.

Edited by Zac Quinn

5 minutes ago, Zac Quinn said:

I agree it's better than nothing, but until people can make songs about the LGBTQ movement without feeling the need to spend the whole of the first verse clarifying 'yeah but I'm not ACTUALLY gay please still play me on the radio', there's still a problem there.

This is kind of similar to the notion of changing gender pronouns when covering a song, actually, which comes up often. 

"I'm more than happy to cover this song but honestly, I gotta change the lyrics so I am not singing about the same sex... People could get the wrong idea you know!"

Edited by jyoung

4 hours ago, zahidf said:

Will the Eavis's get any flak if they rebook openly bigoted Morrisey again i wonder? Or will the Smiths effect give him carte blanche?

One to ask next time there is a q and a i feel.

The statement he put out calling Eavis a c**t and slating the festival makes it a moot point. But in the wider world folk are happy to carry on and never mention it.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/10/2017 at 6:19 PM, GETOFFAMYLAWN said:

The statement he put out calling Eavis a c**t and slating the festival makes it a moot point. But in the wider world folk are happy to carry on and never mention it.

I don't know about Morrisey, but Billy Bragg's a complete weirdo. Last year, he hassled me near the late night area, with this gorilla in tow. I don't know how he knew my name, at all. Some security people told him where to go. It was really freaky.

Michael Eavis seems quiet a reasonable guy, so I can see why; if Morrisey were a bigot, Morrissey would dislike Michael Eavis. On the other hand, Emily's really odd, she seems to screw about with the campsites and everything, in really odd ways. I don't know why Michael Eavis let her run the place. But, as long as she runs that place, maybe she doesn't mind other people having to deal with that sort of man. In which case I suppose Morrisey could make it onto the line up.

I saw Billy Bragg at a grocery store in Los Angeles yesterday. I told him how cool it was to meet him in person, but I didn’t want to be a douche and bother him and ask him for photos of his Gorilla or anything. He said, “Oh, like you’re doing now?”
I was taken aback, and all I could say was “Huh?” but he kept cutting me off and going “huh? huh? huh?” and closing his hand shut in front of my face...

• Upvote 1

On 10/10/2017 at 12:06 PM, Zac Quinn said:

Bradley Walsh's album sold 100,000 to Sam Smith's 12 million, and there's no evidence Glastonbury would ever book Bradley Walsh whereas there's ample evidence they'd book Sam Smith. That comparison is silly lad. Other than his weird awkward personality - which is only a problem if you take it as one - there is literally no reason Sam Smith couldn't headline.

I'd be well up for Bradley Walsh playing the Pyramid. Bang out a few of his show tunes then do a live action version of The Chase. Watch a few space cadets in the crowd shit themselves as Sean or the Beast glower down from the jumbotrons. Eavis taking the low offer everytime. Vintage stuff.

36 minutes ago, MEGABOWL said:

I'd be well up for Bradley Walsh playing the Pyramid. Bang out a few of his show tunes then do a live action version of The Chase. Watch a few space cadets in the crowd shit themselves as Sean or the Beast glower down from the jumbotrons. Eavis taking the low offer everytime. Vintage stuff.

He’s going to do the Dr Who theme on a kazoo.