2019 Headliners

rzwodezwo

Its about more than sales, though.  Whatever you think of their music, Ed and Adele's impact on the wider culture is sizable and as totems both sort of transcend the mere facts of their recorded work. They're superstars in the old fashioned tabloid sense, defining a particular moment in time.

By contrast, the Samster is still pretty anonymous.

1 hour ago, Tuna said:

Sam Smith's mega tsunami...? I too assumed a Sandé-like trajectory was likely - let us pray.

The thing that killed Sande, though, was how long she went away. He's barely been away any time at all compared to her, and he was bigger than her before their respective breaks anyway. Totally different ball game, I'm afraid.

46 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

Drake also. But I agree. And the sorta things Smith has going for him is he's a British success, has played Glastonbury before (three times if he played with Disclosure in both 2013 and 2016?) and would probably benefit from offering a possibly cheaper headline booking than other popstars and agents that would actually approach the festival rather than vice versa.

Also, at the risk of making a stupidly ill-researched statement much in the vein of Mr Smith himself, I think he'd be the first openly gay solo act to headline since Bowie, which would something notable even if it shouldn't be these days.

39 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Its about more than sales, though.  Whatever you think of their music, Ed and Adele's impact on the wider culture is sizable and as totems both sort of transcend the mere facts of their recorded work. They're superstars in the old fashioned tabloid sense, defining a particular moment in time.

You're right in this but, again, it's worth remembering that neither of those two were in no way globe-conquering tabloid superstars until their second albums came out. It's not just in terms of sales that Smithy has already achieved way beyond what Adele and Mr Edward had by the same stage in their careers. E.g. he's already done a Bond song (which Adele didn't do until the arse-end of her second album cycle).

Edited by Zac Quinn

2 minutes ago, eastynh said:

Liam Gallagher to headline?? Pulled a huge crowd on other this year and his new album is currently outselling the rest of the top 20 combined and sold out his upcoming arena tour. Maybe have his secong album out in time for Glasto 2019.

He’s never gonna headline because as big as he is, he isn’t Oasis. Just as was the case with Noel when people were wondering if he’d headline a couple of years ago, why blow your load on one of them doing a couple of Oasis songs when you can just wait a few years and have them both headline as Oasis? 

Not that Liam is big enough to headline solo, mind.

2 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

He’s never gonna headline because as big as he is, he isn’t Oasis. Just as was the case with Noel when people were wondering if he’d headline a couple of years ago, why blow your load on one of them doing a couple of Oasis songs when you can just wait a few years and have them both headline as Oasis? 

I have got no particular wish to see it, but I reckon the fallout on efests would be epic.

5 hours ago, FloorFiller said:

Plus he doesn't seem to like playing the Oasis songs as part of his set (he made some mention of it during his set this year). 

15 hours ago, Zac Quinn said:

Also, at the risk of making a stupidly ill-researched statement much in the vein of Mr Smith himself, I think he'd be the first openly gay solo act to headline since Bowie, which would something notable even if it shouldn't be these days.

Also at the risk of drawing up arbitrary rules of who is "a proper gay" I wouldn't call Bowie in 2000 an openly gay act, more an act who was open about bisexuality in his past.  If you did count him, then you could have Jagger in 2011, Bowie's most famous gay, or Skin from Skunk Anansie the previous year, who actually has a same sex partner.

Not great representation is it?

19 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Also at the risk of drawing up arbitrary rules of who is "a proper gay" I wouldn't call Bowie in 2000 an openly gay act, more an act who was open about bisexuality in his past.  If you did count him, then you could have Jagger in 2011, Bowie's most famous gay, or Skin from Skunk Anansie the previous year, who actually has a same sex partner.

Michael Stipe twice since Skin tho.

19 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

only relevant if their sexuality plays even the tiniest part in whether someone gets booked or not.

I can see how gender plays a role with the lack of women getting booked, but I can't see the slightest thing of that with gays.

If i'm missing anything, wanna wise me up?

28 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

I specifically stipulated 'solo act' in the hope someone would otherwise be able to hit me with the news a member of Florence's machine or a background warbler in Arcade Fire or something were LGBT. But yeah it's pretty bad even if, like with the female representation thing, it's the fault of the wider industry rather than the festival. 

Edited by Zac Quinn

Just now, eFestivals said:

only relevant if their sexuality plays even the tiniest part in whether someone gets booked or not.

I can see how gender plays a role with the lack of women getting booked, but I can't see the slightest thing of that with gays.

If i'm missing anything, wanna wise me up?

It probably doesn't matter so much, just interesting there seems to be some underrepresentation, but it's a pretty small sample, so probably doesn't meet much.  And I forgot Stipe.

17 hours ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Exactly this. People will continue looking at sales figures etc to back up whether he could or couldn’t headline but that’s not the point. Bradley Walsh sells a fuck load of albums too.

1 hour ago, stuartbert two hats said:

It probably doesn't matter so much, just interesting there seems to be some underrepresentation, but it's a pretty small sample, so probably doesn't meet much.  And I forgot Stipe.

there's always been an over-representation of gays in the entertainment business as far as I'm aware, rather than the opposite. It's the part of society where they've always been accepted, by and large.

And just because you haven't built a big list doesn't really mean anything. People are not required to wear stickers, not even to help you out. :P

Under-representation only exists where there's discrimination in order to cause that under-representation ... otherwise, we're talking quotas-for-quotas-sake in order to be proportional, and i wouldn't think that's a step forwards.