2019 Headliners

rzwodezwo

3 minutes ago, jackarmy said:

Pretty sure they've been "dropping hints" every year since about 2009. If they wanted to play it that badly, they would have by now.

I think it goes back longer than that. As far as i'm aware, I was the first to mention Fleetwood Mac in regard to Glastonbury, after I got word from a US contact that the band were saying they were going to play it (I'm pretty sure that what I heard about wasn't an invention).

I talked about it with Michael a month or two after that, and he said there'd been no contact at all (and it was within a convo where there was nothing discrete or diplomatic with some of the other things he said; sometimes you just know that you're hearing things straight with Michael).

But, I guess, the interest from the band came via whoever it is that Mick knows that lives very near to Worthy Farm (is it his sister? I forget), and wasn't driven by anything at the festival's end of things.

6 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

I think it goes back longer than that. As far as i'm aware, I was the first to mention Fleetwood Mac in regard to Glastonbury, after I got word from a US contact that the band were saying they were going to play it (I'm pretty sure that what I heard about wasn't an invention).

I talked about it with Michael a month or two after that, and he said there'd been no contact at all (and it was within a convo where there was nothing discrete or diplomatic with some of the other things he said; sometimes you just know that you're hearing things straight with Michael).

But, I guess, the interest from the band came via whoever it is that Mick knows that lives very near to Worthy Farm (is it his sister? I forget), and wasn't driven by anything at the festival's end of things.

I'm sure I remember a quote from Michael, maybe via you (?) where Michael said something like: "Oh, do people still listen to them?!"

Are they basically doing the opposite of what Prince thought Glastonbury used to do? (using the festivals name to keep them relevant)

22 minutes ago, jackarmy said:

I'm sure I remember a quote from Michael, maybe via you (?) where Michael said something like: "Oh, do people still listen to them?!"

Yep, that was part of what was said, now you remind me.

22 minutes ago, jackarmy said:

Are they basically doing the opposite of what Prince thought Glastonbury used to do? (using the festivals name to keep them relevant)

:lol:

They definitely use it, tho it's often offered up to them to use (like it was in that interview from the last day or two) - so why wouldn't they when the purpose of interviews like that is publicity?

And, i'd say, it's a combination of a number of lucky/timely circumstances that's helped cause that.

What Michael said was about right at that precise time, but the music scene was just moving into a love of the eighties and that big 80s sound, the new 20-somethings had probably had FM played at them by their parents, and FM became an active band again - all at about the same time.

Get these kids up there, they're slowly but surely growing past their obvious influences and they rock out. Look so much more potent than they did even a few months ago, every time I think they're reached their limit they get better. Clearly gifted musicians, starting to nail doing it bigger and better live. Glasto 2021, you'll see.

On 02/10/2017 at 8:23 PM, brettredmayne said:

Would guess Madonna would have to be arranged sometime in advance with her tour schedule probably planned years ahead. 

She would love to use Glastonbury to try and get some interest in her again. 

She wouldn't be that stupid not to do a greatest hit 

Would she? Cos it's been around a long time and her popularity has been flagging for a decade or so now...

And I'm not certain she would do a greatest hits set. Really she could do greatest hits tours right now and sell a million more tickets than Rebel Heart or MDNA jaunts but isn't playing that card yet.

I think Emily's instagram activity shows that Madonna is on her mind and she'll be entertaining the possibility of booking Madonna but ultimately that's up to Madge to break out her first ever festival headline slot and I suspect a big obstacle is still the fee.

3 minutes ago, priest17 said:

Get these kids up there, they're slowly but surely growing past their obvious influences and they rock out. Look so much more potent than they did even a few months ago, every time I think they're reached their limit they get better. Clearly gifted musicians, starting to nail doing it bigger and better live. Glasto 2021, you'll see.

Liked the lads' EP that came out a couple of weeks ago. The album was good but I went off it too quick as it's pretty tiring to listen thru with all its reprises and such but they've shown they have more in their locker.

6 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Did they get a big crowd this year?

Full tent if I remember correctly. I was hammered though so I might not. They're doing well though, on big shows in America and all that. Coachella 2021 is maybe more reasonable, they're future headliner material though I rate, and not just because I like them. 

Not that I'd nominate a band just because I like them. Anyway back to 2019, Kendrick, The Fall, The Cribs. Popular, heritage, newby, it's got it all.

4 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

Liked the lads' EP that came out a couple of weeks ago. The album was good but I went off it too quick as it's pretty tiring to listen thru with all its reprises and such but they've shown they have more in their locker.

Yeah I haven't given the EP much of a chance yet but did enjoy the album when it came out. They seem to be noticeably better every time I check in on them. The younger one wants rock be a rock god so much it makes me smile, reminds me of when I was 13 playing guitar hero (my acoustic was the same size as me at that point, it was a bit of a struggle). I wouldn't call them cool but they've got summit.

1 minute ago, dentalplan said:

Sam Smith plotting one h u g e arena tour through US next summer is bad news for Glastonbury 2019.

I had him down to headline V this summer but yeah, could definitely see him just waiting until Glastonbury 2019 as you say. Was strange to see him release a song with Timbaland today like it's still 2007 but I can't imagine his new album being anything other than hugely successful.