2019 Headliners

rzwodezwo

On 18/4/2017 at 5:00 PM, thewayiam said:

It's not a festival that is going to book hip hop every year is it to be honest and the last time they did that it was the biggest backlash they've ever had, it's funked.....even he said it did and that's the most egotistical I am God man walking on the earth.

the backlash was more about Kanye being a monumental bellend IMO.

Kendrick or Drake don't elicit much of a similar reaction from most people, and with Kanye, Adele and Sheeran going before them, I doubt there'd be much outcry from the Neil Lonsdales of the world now for either.

I also think Kanye's set was pretty decent overall, and was mostly criticised because of people's underlying dislike of Kanye West, rather than a few missteps during an otherwise straightforward performance.
give me a headline performance like that over the dull turd of recent years like The Who, Kasabian or Muse any day.

Edited by ghostdancer1
  • Upvote 2

34 minutes ago, ghostdancer1 said:

the backlash was more about Kanye being a monumental bellend IMO.

Partially, but the petition asked the festival to replace him with a rock band. Plus one of the suggested headliners by Lonsdale was Oasis, so the arsehole defence doesn't really hold up.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

The Lonz also said that Ye's Brits performance was 'threatening', which is an almighty dogwhistle if ever I heard one.

Was funny rewatching it again.  The crowd down the front look like they're having a whale of a time during things like Touch The Sky.

One of the funnest sets I've been at.

1 minute ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

I loved it, but have to fess up to being a fairly unreliable witness.  We started near the top of the hill but apparently I hightailed it away from my mates away down the hill towards the stage the minute Black Skinhead started properly.

After the opening of Stronger > Power and the incredible atmosphere around me I genuinely thought it was about to see one of the greatest Glastonbury sets. Unfortunately there were then a few hiccups and setlist-wise it took a dip in the middle but then it finished once again as a banger-fest. On the whole an incredibly fun set with a few downsides stopping me being able to consider it an amazing set.

1 hour ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

The Lonz also said that Ye's Brits performance was 'threatening', which is an almighty dogwhistle if ever I heard one.

Was funny rewatching it again.  The crowd down the front look like they're having a whale of a time during things like Touch The Sky.

We were, even my Mum had a laugh 

Wish he'd done Blood On The Leaves properly though. At Wireless a year earlier he spent a whole 20 minute encore repeatedly playing the drop in that. Having already played the whole song in the main set too. Madness. 

Edited by Zac Quinn

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/20/2017 at 3:53 PM, CaledonianGonzo said:

I loved it, but have to fess up to being a fairly unreliable witness.  We started near the top of the hill but apparently I hightailed it away from my mates away down the hill towards the stage the minute Black Skinhead started properly.

People love to bash it, but for about 70% of the set, it was amazing.

3 minutes ago, GETOFFAMYLAWN said:

People love to bash it, but for about 70% of the set, it was amazing.

Then again, if it was actually that great then people would just frequently say unprompted that it was a great Glastonbury set, whereas in reality you only hear praise to counter other peoples' negative experience of the show.

I think that regardless of what you or I thought about it, someone with as much star power as Yeezy who gets column inches about any old bollocks coming over for the Pyramid headline slot and it just having such small impact.. it kinda confirms it as a damp squib.

On 20/04/2017 at 3:53 PM, CaledonianGonzo said:

Black Skinhead is one of the all time great hip-hop tracks. Absolute stone cold banger. 

• Upvote 3

On 20/04/2017 at 2:43 PM, Deadendfriends8 said:

I'm all for a prediction...

1975 (I just think with one more big album they'll get bumped up at Glasto or reading)

Kendrick Lamar or Drake

Arctic Monkeys

I'm a massive Kendrick fan and would love to see him headline Glastonbury but I honestly think by 2019 the festival won't get him. 

Once he drops Loyalty or XXX off Damn! he's going to absolutely blow up in terms of mainstream exposure and I'm sure with next year being a fallow year Reading and Leeds are going to make the most of the opportunity to book him to headline. No way would Glastonbury book him the very next year 

4 hours ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

These laughable no marks want to do it

tw:  Contains a record-breaking use of the phrase 'I mean' within a two sentence quote.

Fall Out Boy are better than 99.9% of Glastonbury headliners... Or maybe were better, it remains to be seen. They've been brilliant every time I've seen them. I'm a big fan.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

Can I just point out re: Kanye's headline set; fuck off Lee Nelson. People went to see Kanye, not some unfunny privileged no mark comedian who makes their living from laughing at what they think the working class looks and sounds like.

Wasn't there myself but his 'hilarious' stage invasion still annoys me.

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...