2019 Headliners

rzwodezwo

7 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

Aren't the Rolling Stones kinda always on the road in some shape or form?

i think they've not got anything booked for 2017 - say they have 2 years off two years on (as they tend to do) that would make them about in 2020

Providing that's what they are doing lol all speculation 

I also feel like they would do it again if the circumstances were right

They have been recently.....but it's probably too much of an unknown quantity and likely to be something arranged nearer the time than this far out.

I get the feeling they're in the One & Done Club.

Not that anybody (I hope) is seriously considering them as a realistic contender, but The Stones being booked again would be shite. They nailed that slot in 2013, more than anybody could've hoped for. What'd be the point in doing it again just to inevitably underwhelm beyond belief? If there's a huge act being lined up for 2020, Fleetwood Mac, Pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin, hell, even a reformed Oasis, all surely more realistic and worthwhile ventures. That is, of course, if this already in talks act is in fact a biggie and not just the likes of Coldplay being nailed down early, which is a very realistic possibility.

1 minute ago, eldest200 said:

1975 - Friday

Kendrick Lamar - Saturday 

Arctic Monkeys - Sunday 

They're never gonna have two brand spanking new headliners like Kendrick and The 1975 in one year, and given their track record with rappers (well, just Jay Z and Kanye) we won't get Kendrick until he's well and truly solidified as a headliner, rather than picking him up when he's on the up and up.

I really feel like considering Blur's relationship with the festival and their last shot at headlining - 2020 for the 50th just seems to fit so well

I can honestly see Coldplay being nailed down early for it - can't have the 50th anniversary without them doing it.

We are getting to the point where almost all of the big acts have done it now, so it'l most likely be a repeat. I can't see Oasis or The Smiths so it's gotta be someone who's headlined in the 2000s and wouldn't mind a shot at doing it again

3 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

They're never gonna have two brand spanking new headliners like Kendrick and The 1975 in one year, and given their track record with rappers (well, just Jay Z and Kanye) we won't get Kendrick until he's well and truly solidified as a headliner, rather than picking him up when he's on the up and up.

Doesn't Kendrick have a new album on the way? If he doesn't headline for 2019 he should be there for the album after that.. I'll have to think of another headliner. I think the 1975 will be there. 

Edited by eldest200

Just now, eldest200 said:

Doesn't Kendrick have a new album on the way? If he doesn't headline for 2019 he should be there for the next album. I'll have to think of another headliner. I think the 1975 will be there. 

Yeah he should definitely have a new album due, but he'll still be a relatively new major festival headliner by that time. Think Reading/Leeds will pick him up first (2018 or 19 depending on when the album is released) and then Glastonbury maybe get him on the next album.

The 1975 seem like a good bet though considering the trajectory they're on, although again I wouldn't be surprised if Reading/Leeds get them first.

Just now, FloorFiller said:

Yeah he should definitely have a new album due, but he'll still be a relatively new major festival headliner by that time. Think Reading/Leeds will pick him up first (2018 or 19 depending on when the album is released) and then Glastonbury maybe get him on the next album.

The 1975 seem like a good bet though considering the trajectory they're on, although again I wouldn't be surprised if Reading/Leeds get them first.

Yeah. Kendrick will probably be a reading next year. I think the 1975 will be the new headliner for 2019. I just want to get my headliners correct.  

7 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

Didn't the 40th anniversary get similarly bigged up?

I don't think Glastonbury had a trio bigger than U2, Muse, Stevie Wonder before then

also U2 are one of these acts that don't do festivals - regardless of popularity on here that's huge for glasto

I'd consider U2 just as big as any of these bands being touted for 2020, just doesn't seem as big of a deal because they've done it now

Just now, FloorFiller said:

U2/Muse/Stevie Wonder was a pretty big trio, no? U2 especially, before it all went to shit.

Bigger than the years before and after? I doubt they were booked and kept off previous bills with an eye on it being the 40th anniversary anyway, its just that they could play that year so did. I think if they do anything massive to celebrate it'll be away from the headliners and possibly away from the line up. So yeah, might as well get to predicting 2019 with such desire rather than skipping over it for something that'll turn out just the same on the face of it.

1 minute ago, dentalplan said:

Bigger than the years before and after? I doubt they were booked and kept off previous bills with an eye on it being the 40th anniversary anyway, its just that they could play that year so did. I think if they do anything massive to celebrate it'll be away from the headliners and possibly away from the line up. So yeah, might as well get to predicting 2019 with such desire rather than skipping over it for something that'll turn out just the same on the face of it.

Tbh much like U2 were a huge one for 2010 (with Muse and Stevie Wonder falling in to 'regular old headliner' territory) I think similar will happen for 2020, although you're probably right in U2 being booked purely by coincidence that year rather than being made as a purposefully huge booking for the anniversary. Either way, Emily's comment has opened the floodgates for speculation and I intend to spend the entire three years leading up to it making the wildest guesses possible.