2019 Headliners

rzwodezwo

5 minutes ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

Genuine question, are the 1975 really a serious contender? I'm not suggesting they aren't, but what have I missed over the last few years to put them in the frame for 2019? I just thought they were pretty average, inoffensive, middle of the road band?

Mumfords

Coldplay

Sheeran

Your point is?!

19 minutes ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

Genuine question, are the 1975 really a serious contender? I'm not suggesting they aren't, but what have I missed over the last few years to put them in the frame for 2019? I just thought they were pretty average, inoffensive, middle of the road band?

Last album got a load of critical acclaim and they just did an arena tour which sold fairly well, including two nights at The O2. If they disappear for 18 months to allow the clamour for them to rebuild then their third album will be everywhere, and they've already 'promised' to headline Reading on it 

Edited by Zac Quinn

Just now, Zac Quinn said:

Last album got a load of critical acclaim and they just did an arena tours which sold fairly well, if they disappear for 18 months to allow the hype to fester their third album will be everywhere, and they've already spoken about headlining Reading on it 

Ok, fair enough. It's just I saw them at bestival about 4-5 years ago. I thought they had a couple of catchy yet throw away songs, never gave them a second thought after that, and I've always just been broadly aware of them hovering around in the background, without hearing too much more about them.

I don't think 1975 are a contender to headline 2019. Probably more likely for Reading as everyone is suggesting

I feel out of all bands around at the moment they probably deserve to be given a shot at headlining, but I don't know if they will

I hope the 1975 don't get any more popular. I they do, they will definitely headline in the the next few Glasto festivals. 

Doesn't take Einstein to work that out. Will be plenty of other stuff to go see though :)

Might take place of a 'better' headliner though when it happens :P 

My prediction, Friday headliner 2019

1 minute ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

Thinking about it 2020 is the 50th anniversary, so any big guns will be saved for that, therfore the 1975 and Arctic Monkeys + another for 2019.

Yeah if I remember correctly (maybe I'm not) they've mentioned already having a 2020 headliner lined up so definitely seems like they're treating that year as the big one. Not to say that the 2019 headliners will be shit, but I'm expecting something massive to be booked for 2020 if they've had to book it three years in advance.

37 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

Yeah if I remember correctly (maybe I'm not) they've mentioned already having a 2020 headliner lined up so definitely seems like they're treating that year as the big one. Not to say that the 2019 headliners will be shit, but I'm expecting something massive to be booked for 2020 if they've had to book it three years in advance.

Yep this is a quote from Emily a month ago:

"We're talking to our first headliner for the 50th anniversary"

You'd have to assume if they're speaking to a headliner three and half years before the festival they will be a pretty big hitter, and they certainly won't be using them the year before in 2019.

46 minutes ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

Thinking about it 2020 is the 50th anniversary, so any big guns will be saved for that, therefore the 1975 and Arctic Monkeys + another for 2019.

AM are a big hitter tbh, by that point they'll be one of those acts that can earn so much from stadium tours that they don't need to do festivals any more, so will be a massive coup for any festie they do play. If they aren't in this category already.

Tempted to agree on The 1975, don't think they'd be ginormous enough for the 50th unless the Eavii tried to be cute and go "we have a headliner from the past (Mac), present (Monkeys) and future (1975)" but that's maybe a bit corny.

20 minutes ago, Zac Quinn said:

AM are a big hitter tbh, by that point they'll be one of those acts that can earn so much from stadium tours that they don't need to do festivals any more, so will be a massive coup for any festie they do play. If they aren't in this category already.

Tempted to agree on The 1975, don't think they'd be ginormous enough for the 50th unless the Eavii tried to be cute and go "we have a headliner from the past (Mac), present (Monkeys) and future (1975)" but that's maybe a bit corny.

Alas, in three years time,  The 1975 probably won't be the future anymore.