2019 Headliners

rzwodezwo

2019! I turn 40 that year. Holy hell thats old. As for headliners, seeing as it'll be my birthday (i have a birthday every year :lol:) it should be my choice, in which case it'll be: 

rammstein Friday night pyramid

George Clinton etc Saturday night West Holts while something popular/bollocks is on the pyramid, Arctics or whatever 

Elton John as Sunday legend 

flaming lips headlining the JP on Sunday 

40 minutes ago, Will-2609 said:

Foals

Arctic Monkeys

Drake

Edit: The 1975 to make their major festival headline debut at R&L in 2019.

Wish I edited now cos you're gonna win the Twix in 2019. But yeah I think The 1975 will be bigger than Foals then but R+L will have dibs. In fact, I think Matt Healy even said they'd headline Reading when they come back and Glastonbury the year later, so he might be right.

Don't reckon Foals will get much bigger but can defo see them getting the push nonetheless.

10 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

Wish I edited now cos you're gonna win the Twix in 2019. But yeah I think The 1975 will be bigger than Foals then but R+L will have dibs. In fact, I think Matt Healy even said they'd headline Reading when they come back and Glastonbury the year later, so he might be right.

Don't reckon Foals will get much bigger but can defo see them getting the push nonetheless.

Tbh I came into the thread thinking Foals/The 1975, AM, ??? (Would have said Swifty but didn't feel it was actually likely), then I saw your Beyoncé shout and was gonna say her instead, and then got to the Drake shout and decided to go for that instead :P So really my prediction only came as a result of reading the thread so far.

Edit: Aye I think Foals would be very similar to the Arcade Fire booking. Won't have gotten much bigger really since their R&L slot and will probably begin to wane in popularity after it.

Edited by Will-2609

Drake needs some big crossover hits if he's going to do it, all very well having a song at number one for 15 weeks but that doesn't mean much if it's just because of one demographic constantly streaming it, while in reality most of the country have never heard it. Same for my shout of Paramore I guess, although they only need a couple more bangers the size of Still Into You (and Ain't It Fun) from their last album which doesn't seem quite so unlikely.

• Downvote 1

Arctic Monkeys coming back after one new album would be a lazy, lazy booking. I don't even think Muse or Coldplay have done that. Not to say it won't happen. 

I can't see R&L getting The 1975 first and then Glastonbury having them on the same album cycle. I think they will eventually headline but if R&L get them first I'd say it would be more likely to be after album 4.

1 minute ago, Zac Quinn said:

Drake needs some big crossover hits if he's going to do it, all very well having a song at number one for 15 weeks but that doesn't mean much if it's just because of one demographic constantly streaming it, while in reality most of the country have never heard it. Same for my shout of Paramore I guess, although they only need a couple more bangers the size of Still Into You (and Ain't It Fun) from their last album which doesn't seem quite so unlikely.

Yeah I was wondering if Drake is appropriate too. He's clearly huge but if you compare him to Kanye, who I suppose is the most similar headliner in recent years, he hasn't got anything on the level of Gold Digger, Power, Stronger etc. Really not convinced he'd get a good crowd at Glasto, personally think he's shite so I hope it doesn't happen.

There's absolutely no way Paramore are playing on the pyramid imo. Headlining the other, maybe. That'd be fun if they got booked but can't see past R&L and/or Download for them.

5 minutes ago, Odessa said:

Arctic Monkeys coming back after one new album would be a lazy, lazy booking. I don't even think Muse or Coldplay have done that. Not to say it won't happen. 

Six years would be the same gap between their headline sets as last time, and they barely played anything off AM in 2013, but yeah this is a fair point all the same.

2 minutes ago, Zac Quinn said:

Six years would be the same gap between their headline sets as last time, and they barely played anything off AM in 2013, but yeah this is a fair point all the same.

Ah I got mixed up and was thinking they played 2014. I'd guess they only did 'Do I Wanna Know?' and 'R U Mine?' then last time? Not as bad as I first thought then but still think they should look elsewhere first. 

Edited by Odessa

10 minutes ago, Zac Quinn said:

Ehh? It's not like that Mike Posner dude getting a no. 1 - Drake is already a hyowge artist and established festival headliner. Could easily throw down a Wembley Stadium gig and sell it quickly. And given everyone (alive) will be two years older in 2019, there'll be many people of Glasto-going age for who Drake will have been the consistently biggest artist of a generation. Paramore are nowhere near comparable to him mon.

16 minutes ago, Odessa said:

Ah I got mixed up and was thinking they played 2014. I'd guess they only did 'Do I Wanna Know?' and 'R U Mine?' then last time? Not as bad as I first thought then but still think they should look elsewhere first. 

Yeah according to setlist.fm they didn't start playing One for the Road/Why'd You Only Call Me When You're High/Snap Out Of It/Arabella until later, so there'd probably be enough difference in setlists to justify it. Also that album led to a bit of a resurgence in mainstream interest in them so they'd probably get a slightly different make-up of crowd in 2019 compared to the one they managed then. I don't even like them so I don't know why I care, mind.

Edited by Zac Quinn

1 minute ago, dentalplan said:

Ehh? It's not like that Mike Posner dude getting a no. 1 - Drake is already a hyowge artist and established festival headliner. Could easily throw down a Wembley Stadium gig and sell it quickly. And given everyone (alive) will be two years older in 2019, there'll be many people of Glasto-going age for who Drake will have been the consistently biggest artist of a generation.

For sure, but if he doesn't have the crossover hits it'll fall flat regardless, surely. You can headline Wireless all you want but it's not the same crowd.

2 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

Paramore are nowhere near comparable to him mon.

fair