Biffy Clyro

Franky

5 minutes ago, Heartbreaker said:

I've been intrigued by Biffy for a while now but never got round to giving them a listen. Would someone be so kind as to give some suggestions on where to start? 

Puzzle and Only Revolutions are probably your best bet. IMO some of their best stuff is on their first three albums but they literally never play those so theres not much point in listening and getting your hopes up!

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

13 minutes ago, Tartan_Glasto said:

Depends what you're into. Last 3 albums are more friendly on the ear than the earlier ones. They're also the ones they play live these mostly days so if you want to hear what you'll hear at Glastonbury then start with Only Revolutions onwards.

Heavier the better IMO, I'll start from the beginning then!

13 minutes ago, evilduck said:

Puzzle and Only Revolutions are probably your best bet. IMO some of their best stuff is on their first three albums but they literally never play those so theres not much point in listening and getting your hopes up!

This is what I was worried about, and has happened to me before; get into a band before Glastonbury, go to see them and then they play nothing which I know or want them to play.

@supreme & @vintagelaureate This split between both of your suggestions of first 4 and last 3 albums are why I love asking for recommendations on here :) 

Cheers all, I'll get listening.

2 hours ago, Ameeps said:

Hello, i'm American and have never heard of Biffy Clyro, please help me change that. Where do I start?

Depends where you are in the States but they're on a American tour now, maybe worth going along, they're a superb live band

Seeing biffy on the line-up has really made my day.. my missus really wants to go see biffy but said she will hold off seeing him till after me and my daughter have been to glasto as there no chance he will be playing there.. well cut long story short let's say the look i got when i showed her the first band written in white that really caught my eye.. It was priceless :D

2 hours ago, Ameeps said:

Will do with Infinity Land in the morning.

Listened to ~5 full songs, maybe 10 snippets of other songs. Like what I hear, but i've DEFINITELY never heard any of these songs. Asked some friends and nobody has heard of Biffy. None of their albums have cracked the top 200 Billboard chart here. Always weird to discover a band that is practically unknown in your continent but massive superstars across the pond.

Reading other comments, and for some reason it totally left my head earlier, but Only revolutions is probably the best full album to start with to get a real feel of their sort of sound, strange timings etc.

They have become huge over here, but they are actually touring the US right now so if you can find a show possibly near you I'd definitely recommend going along, they sound brilliant live & have always put on a great show when I've seen them!

55 minutes ago, Heartbreaker said:

Heavier the better IMO, I'll start from the beginning then!

I've been into BC since the beginning mate - if you start with the heavier stuff you run the risk IMO of ending up hating seeing them. They will likely only play about 2/3 off the first 3 albums and fill the rest of the set with newer stuff. Which is less good. I was well happy when the lead single off the new record came out then when I listened to it it was shit. First 4 albums for the win then IMO they went steadily downhill. Shame really. But fair play to them..... they've been through it all and played low on the bill for years and are now headlining and subbing festivals. Can't say it isn't deserved!

Recommendations for early songs to check out and their albums:

- 57 (Blackened Sky)

- The entire Infinity Land album

- Bodies in Flight, The Ideal Height, Eradicate the Doubt, Toys toys toys choke toys toys toys (Vertigo of Bliss)

thats just off the top of my head..... Puzzle was also a good album but I'm not at my desk with itunes and I can't remember song names at the minute :P Biffy always good fun live though

15 minutes ago, mungo57 said:

I've been into BC since the beginning mate - if you start with the heavier stuff you run the risk IMO of ending up hating seeing them. They will likely only play about 2/3 off the first 3 albums and fill the rest of the set with newer stuff. Which is less good. I was well happy when the lead single off the new record came out then when I listened to it it was shit. First 4 albums for the win then IMO they went steadily downhill. Shame really. But fair play to them..... they've been through it all and played low on the bill for years and are now headlining and subbing festivals. Can't say it isn't deserved!

Recommendations for early songs to check out and their albums:

- 57 (Blackened Sky)

- The entire Infinity Land album

- Bodies in Flight, The Ideal Height, Eradicate the Doubt, Toys toys toys choke toys toys toys (Vertigo of Bliss)

thats just off the top of my head..... Puzzle was also a good album but I'm not at my desk with itunes and I can't remember song names at the minute :P Biffy always good fun live though

The newest album is so shit :(

2 hours ago, JayBalls said:

Yep, I don't think they could ever top 2013 at Reading for me that was insane, don't think I want to muddy that memory with a "softer set"

Of the two shows I've seen - Sheffield Arena 2013 and Leeds Arena 2016 - the former was definitely the better. The latter sounded marginally better. But the former was touring behind the sprawling, relatively strong Opposites whilst the latter was dealing with the less-than-stellar Ellipsis. Still hugely enjoyable though - tracks like Bubbles, Living Is a Problem, 57, Many of Horror, Black Chandelier - even Animal Style - are going to sound massive on the Pyramid Stage/Other Stage/Avalon/wherever they end up.

Haven't listened to these guys for a number of years, definitely going to give their newer stuff a whirl based on what you guys are saying. Saw them a few times over the years at Reading, top class live band.

Edited by 40 Days