Weather 2017

Nobody Interesting

2 minutes ago, big__phil said:

Wut? No way José. I'd happily take a nice dry run up to the festival.

There's a difference between dry and the wild temperatures they're predicting. Have you tried working outside in 25+ degrees. It's not easy going. Anything above 20 is uncomfortable especially if you're building something and trying to party. Lots of dehydration and lethargic people around. Also the ground will be like concrete. 

We need the weather to be somewhere in the middle to make it comfortable.

1 minute ago, squirrelarmy said:

There's a difference between dry and the wild temperatures they're predicting. Have you tried working outside in 25+ degrees. It's not easy going. Anything above 20 is uncomfortable especially if you're building something and trying to party. Lots of dehydration and lethargic people around. Also the ground will be like concrete. 

We need the weather to be somewhere in the middle to make it comfortable.

Did you go last year?

• Upvote 4

Just now, big__phil said:

Did you go last year?

No but I did 2011 so I have experienced bad glasto mud and weather. I also did Sziget last year which was at the opposite spectrum at around 30 degrees.

20-22 degrees, mainly dry with a nice breeze will be perfect.

15 minutes ago, squirrelarmy said:

Latest Metcheck forecast is for 25-28 degrees for the days leading up to the festival.

To be honest I'd prefer rain to those sort of temperatures. That's going to be some uncomfortable queuing. Still plenty of time for it change to something more realistic.

http://www.metcheck.com/WEATHER/16days.asp?zipcode=Glastonbury&locationID=57455&lat=51.1&lon=-2.7

May a plague of locusts descend upon your house.

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, squirrelarmy said:

No but I did 2011 so I have experienced bad glasto mud and weather. I also did Sziget last year which was at the opposite spectrum at around 30 degrees.

20-22 degrees, mainly dry with a nice breeze will be perfect.

Last year's ground was horrendous. Give me concrete ground and sunshiiiiiine any day :)

Can I direct people to the thread below where people thought it was too hot last week. it could be hotter and for longer. Imagine being one of those essential people building the festival for us having to work in the predicted temperatures. It isn't going to be a fun time for them.

We need to keep an open mind for another week though until more realistic predictions are posted.

13 minutes ago, big__phil said:

Did you go last year?

I went last year and my Glastonbury toe was far, far less severe than in 2014 when some parts of the ground turned into something more akin to shiny marble.  Made concrete feel like rubber in comparison.

Yes, mud isn't nice, but rock hard ground has its own issues.  I'd like it nice and dry of course, but somewhere in the middle is best.

2 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

I went last year and my Glastonbury toe was far, far less severe than in 2014 when some parts of the ground turned into something more akin to shiny marble.  Made concrete feel like rubber in comparison.

Yes, mud isn't nice, but rock hard ground has its own issues.  I'd like it nice and dry of course, but somewhere in the middle is best.

Eh?  It rained on the Friday and the Sunday.

Edit: Wrong year.  Soz.  In 2014 it rained on the Thursday and Saturday.

Edited by CaledonianGonzo

Just now, CaledonianGonzo said:

Eh?  It rained on the Friday and the Sunday.

But in between some of the ground went very, very hard.  Did it rain much on the Sunday?  I don't remember.  But I do remember the hard ground.  I think it's worse when it's rained and then people walk on it as it dries, seems to polish the ground right up.

Some parts of the site (particularly the area we're now referring to as Saxon) were still muddy, but higher up, it was very hard.

Listen, I'm not saying sweltering heat is any fun at all, but last year was a proper slog at times. It totally changed the way you had to do the festival as well. No more 'popping away early from this set to see the next one', because every journey took twice as long. You couldn't leave the walkways, which made everything incredibly slow. No sitting on the grass, no taking off wellies, no walking through certain areas of the SE corner for fear of getting stuck.

I'd take brutal heat over brutal mud, any day. At least the sun goes away at night.

• Upvote 1

36 minutes ago, squirrelarmy said:

Latest Metcheck forecast is for 25-28 degrees for the days leading up to the festival.

To be honest I'd prefer rain to those sort of temperatures. That's going to be some uncomfortable queuing. Still plenty of time for it change to something more realistic.

http://www.metcheck.com/WEATHER/16days.asp?zipcode=Glastonbury&locationID=57455&lat=51.1&lon=-2.7

So its going to be really hot when we're not there?!

:lol: I love this thread. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, big__phil said:

I'd take brutal heat over brutal mud, any day. At least the sun goes away at night.

And party all night we shall.

Spare a thought for the people working though. They definitely will have earned a beer at the end of their shifts.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, big__phil said:

Listen, I'm not saying sweltering heat is any fun at all, but last year was a proper slog at times. It totally changed the way you had to do the festival as well. No more 'popping away early from this set to see the next one', because every journey took twice as long. You couldn't leave the walkways, which made everything incredibly slow. No sitting on the grass, no taking off wellies, no walking through certain areas of the SE corner for fear of getting stuck.

This is very true and often overlooked. Everywhere seems so much busier when its super muddy because you are pretty much confined to the metal walkways when trying to get anyway. It makes a lot of the site seem so much smaller.

As someone who has been to every glasto for the last 10 years apart from 2010, I'm willing to take my chances on a hot and sunny one!

Being able to sit down on the grass for a rest is the single biggest factor in how much more enjoyable Glastonbury can be.  

It can be cloudy every day for all I care, but being dry is a must. 

I would even take 2015 all over again, as we were able to sit for 80% of the festival. 

• Upvote 1