Weather 2017

Nobody Interesting

1 hour ago, Doug85 said:

Last year was my first Glastonbury and I fucking loved it. 

1 hour ago, Jsmooth said:

same best week of my life.

3 minutes ago, Rubber Soldier said:

Last year was my first Glastonbury, and I still had probably the best 5 days of my life. Even with the horrendous underfoot conditions I realised it's the greatest place on earth. A tsunami couldn't keep me away. 

SAME to all of this!

3 minutes ago, briddj said:

If you think that in those conditions, just wait until you go to one with sunshine and grass!

Well and I think we're lucky 2016 was our first in that it can mostly (hopefully) only get better! I've got a great feeling about this year. 

J1's latest is out and it's a good one.

https://www.netweather.tv/forum/topic/87677-glastonbury-2017-21-25-june/?do=findComment&comment=3589764

Some excerpts below:

All 4 GFS runs have total rainfall for the Glastonbury area below 15mm over the next 16 days, so all currently looking dry for the run-up to the festival.

Ensembles

After this weekend, pressure rising with pressure over 1025mb, and pressure remaining above or around 1020mb until the 23rd June, perhaps drooping a little over the festival weekend.

Rainfall amounts are looking very low for the duration of the run

Currently looking good for at least a good build up to the festival weather wise. Some uncertainty over the festival weekend itself, but generally a good outlook.

Edited by stuartbert two hats

2 hours ago, Gozzynoko-Flow said:

If last year had been my first Glastonbury I probably wouldn't have gone again.

My first Glastonbury was 2007... and I've been back five times since! Even Somme-like conditions can't stop the magic of Glastonbury.

With that said I will accept nothing less than sun this year. 

Edited by barkley87

3 hours ago, Chicken Bob said:

I'm asking people that have been going for years and years. Was 2016 the muddiest ever ?

It might have been if it were not for the extra drainage that I believe was installed after 1997 and 1998. Conditions those years were horrendous. Lakes of watery mud.

Warming up nicely next week leading up to the start of the festival, which is just perfect.

The Sunday is the only potential moist one, by then we won't care anyway.

Met Office forecast is the one to keep an eye on, nearest Obs is Bath & West show ground for accuracy.

It's going to be ace :)

Last year was my 10th. 2007 was bad but last year was the hardest for me due to the sticky, hard to get through mud. Just a slog to get anywhere. Can't remember the other wet years being so difficult to get around. Still wouldn't swap it for owt like. Won't matter this year, wall to wall sun. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, herzzreh said:

It was bad but 2011 seems to have been worse.

I think last year was worse then 2011, in my opinion anyway. 2011 was my first year (been every year since) and can't remember it bothering me that much, last year was a real struggle. Probs didn't help I had broken my shoulder socket a week prior so was having to deal with that aswell as the sticky mud!

if you got through last year ok you then you're made for Glastonbury, I know people who's first year was last year and it has put them off!

Edited by Razza_bezza

The worst mud years were 97, 98, 05, 07 & 16.

98 & 07 probably the worst as in both cases it pissed down a lot during the festival so they were muddy and really wet.

97 & 16 were similar with lots of rain before the festival creating lots of heavy mud.

05 was the worst if you were camped at the bottom of Pennards by the railway line. Your tent ended up in 4 feet of water.

4 hours ago, Chicken Bob said:

I'm asking people that have been going for years and years. Was 2016 the muddiest ever ?

It depends on your definition of muddiness. I was there the year of Pennards flooding. The ground had been backed for weeks and the water didn't soak in it just ran off. Probably more thinner mud than last year. Went to see The Saw Doctors at Avalon and getting across T&C you were sinking 2 foot into virgin grass.

last year the ground was saturated before the festival and everywhere was thick gloopy mud. I found last year worse because it was hard work getting anywhere. Only saw half of what I normally see. Another year like that will probably finish me off.