Weather 2017

Nobody Interesting

1 minute ago, O'Doyle Rules said:

Yeah, that's why I don't think baking hot is good festival weather.

• If you get in at 4am/5am, you're then forced awake by 7am
  • It's dangerous re sunstroke
  • There is no shade

21 degrees cloudy please!

OCCASIONAL clouds. Don't be silly.

So basically,

It's going to be hot, it's also going to rain a little which will be welcome and refreshing for most after putting tents up in 30 degree heat and queuing in peak heat times.

Wellies won't be needed because even if it does rain the ground is so solid now that it will just not be able to take it in - and we know that if it's warm and sunny, even with a thunderstorm, the Glasto ground does dry up very quickly as previous years have shown.

So enjoy the sun on Weds + Thurs and just remember that it's a hell of a lot better than last year :drinks:

5 minutes ago, Nobody Interesting said:

Bit puzzled by the suggestion of record temps on Thursday as in the met office video - Thursday shows as much cooler on all forecasts.

It also shows showers on Sat, like GFS runs do, while their forecast page (which has been changing throughout the day) is expecting them on Friday.

At this stage, verbal forecasts much more reliable than symbols, so go with that I suppose...

8 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

This is way too fucking hot!

The impromptu water sculpture my flatmate has assembled in the courtyard in a last desperate attempt to cool the flat would lead me to concur with this assessment.

Also one of my active speakers blew up

Edited by frostypaw

3 minutes ago, Glasto Weatherwatch said:

Actually quite glad for once I'm not there till Friday first thing, Weds looks mental.

12z run just completed for Thursday, dry, 21-22 degrees, cooling down fast

That's the perfect temp.  It's a shame we're getting the other extremes seemingly - 28 and 17.  Can't it just stay on 22?

Just now, briddj said:

Friday, 20-22, no rain (same as last run)

But this is a little too close for comfort. Flies over the north and out to Scandinavia by early afternoon.

gfs4.PNG

Don't worry about that, it's heading straight for Manchester, the Pennines will stop it going any further.

37 minutes ago, Thunderstruck said:

Wednesday is going to be killer for people arriving! Looks like it could top 30c. Ouch!

This extra security and longer queuing in those kinds of temps is going to be an absolute disaster!

31 minutes ago, priest17 said:

Has it really never gotten higher than 27.5 degrees? Man I need to do some back tracking with certain people at some point...

I do wonder myself.  1994 and 1995 were both reputed to be insanely hot.  A mate who went in 94 came back absolutely mangled with the effects of sunstroke and an interesting hat.  We went to phoenix a few weeks later and it was proper heatwave stuff, temps in the 30s and no shade, glastonbury 2010 was a breeze by comparison.

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, Glasto Weatherwatch said:

Actually quite glad for once I'm not there till Friday first thing, Weds looks mental.

12z run just completed for Thursday, dry, 21-22 degrees, cooling down fast

Yeah I'm a bit glad I'm dodging the Wednesday too!

Just now, Spindles said:

I do wonder myself.  1994 and 1995 were both reputed to be insanely hot.  A mate who went in 94 came back absolutely mangled with the effects of sunstroke and an interesting hat.  We went to phoenix a few weeks later and it was proper heatwave stuff, temps in the 30s and no shade, glastonbury 2010 was a breeze by comparison.

We're just not used to regular temperatures like this. Festivals in warmer climates do allow for the extra heat plus the locals are acclimatised. This is why I'm spending as much time outdoors drinking cider as is physically possible just to make sure my body is ready.