Weather 2017

Nobody Interesting

11 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

WTF have you done to this thread? Why is everyone going on about phone reception? What have I missed?

I think that you may have missed the fact that weather in prospect is much, much more all-consuming than weather in retrospect :P.

That and we're just trying to find anything vaguely related to the festival to talk about.

WTF is it going to be like this time next year?????

• 9 months later...

If anyone is missing the thrills and spills of the weather thread in the fallow year you can get all your intense jet stream and Azores finger debate by going to see David Haig's excellent play Pressure which has finally made its way to the West End years after its Edinburgh premier.

https://www.theguardian.com/stage/2018/apr/21/james-stagg-d-day-weatherman--pressure-west-end

It really is very good and genuinely seemed like the closest you'll get to The Weather Thread on stage.

3 hours ago, EamerRed said:

You just know Glastonbury weekend is going to be effing PERFECT this year don't you.

In 2012 I think the consensus was that a bullet had been dodged. From what I can recall, there was loads of rain building up to it and some heavy rain over the weekend. 

Probably wrong, like but I found this...IMG_20180422_132740.thumb.jpg.e2c04040309a4e4089e5466beef2ff44.jpg

2 hours ago, Gnomicide said:

In 2012 I think the consensus was that a bullet had been dodged. From what I can recall, there was loads of rain building up to it and some heavy rain over the weekend. 

Probably wrong, like but I found this...IMG_20180422_132740.thumb.jpg.e2c04040309a4e4089e5466beef2ff44.jpg

I think 2006 was pretty nice. Not too hot, but warm and pretty dry. I think you're right about 2012, a right shocker. No idea about 2001 or 1996.

• 1 month later...
On 4/22/2018 at 4:15 PM, stuartbert two hats said:

I think 2006 was pretty nice. Not too hot, but warm and pretty dry. I think you're right about 2012, a right shocker. No idea about 2001 or 1996.

2001 was lovely https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/climate/uk/summaries/2001/june

2018 is looking perfect too http://weather.unisys.com/forecasts?source=6&inv=0&plot=98&region=eu&t=9p&view=4

I was out of the country in 1996, but from what I remember from watching Euro96 on the telly, the weather looked pretty good.

15 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Mid June is definitely a bit more relaxing this year.

Yep, sun's out, no repeatedly checking forecasts and no panicking about weather and potential travel and weekend problems, last minute shopping & packing, or desperately trying to figure out how to handle the mother of all clashes.

I don't care for it.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

37 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

The true hero of the Weather Thread 2017 was the person who recommended cornflour as an anti-chafing agent.

Whether or not anyone tried it is still a mystery.

Holy shitballs I'd completely missed that.  Had to go back and re-read the thread to make sure you weren't just pullin' my lariat. Outstandingly left field lunacy that actually sounds like it might be true.

5 hours ago, Quark said:

Holy shitballs I'd completely missed that.  Had to go back and re-read the thread to make sure you weren't just pullin' my lariat. Outstandingly left field lunacy that actually sounds like it might be true.

There were studies linking use of talc with cancer (it used to be contaminated with asbestos). Talc free powders contain cornstarch (zea mays), ie cornflour.  When I was researching products for reducing odour from, ahem, intimate regions after strenuous badminton  matches, I discovered 'Fairy Dust' and 'Dingo Dust'. Obviously  women can only buy fairy-related products, or they'll just faint away!