Weather 2017

Nobody Interesting

10 minutes ago, Fred Zepplin said:

Perfect 

seriously, it is the dogs, highly recommend for  anyone who feels sun vulnerable; cream up pop pickers, drink plenty of water and stay safe. 

PS however funny it may seem at the time, don't leave your pissed up mate comatosed in the baking sun, it will do them serious damage and ruin their festival; look after each other.

• Upvote 3

Ok - so I have longed for a beautifully hot festival for years (I didn't go in 2010) BUT now I have the fear! Anyone recomend any tips for managing in a field for this long, in this kind of heat? I will buy a space blanket for the tent and perhaps buy a fan/water spray? 

1 minute ago, Larraht said:

Ok - so I have longed for a beautifully hot festival for years (I didn't go in 2010) BUT now I have the fear! Anyone recomend any tips for managing in a field for this long, in this kind of heat? I will buy a space blanket for the tent and perhaps buy a fan/water spray? 

plenty, and I mean plenty of water in between alcohol; stay hydrated.

its still relatively cool overnight so unless you plan to sleep in your tent during the day it will be all good. 

3 minutes ago, Larraht said:

Get a tarp to go over the tent! £20 and it'll be so damn worth it.

Just now, Larraht said:

Had not thought of this! But yes, spot on!

Less noisy than a space blanket. I went to Decathlon (don't think there's one in Plymouth, but been 5 years since I've lived there now) last week to get one.

Will be very welcome!

2 minutes ago, oneeye said:

plenty, and I mean plenty of water in between alcohol; stay hydrated.

its still relatively cool overnight so unless you plan to sleep in your tent during the day it will be all good. 

I do like a littlw nap late afternoon to recharge for the night! It will be important to take enough water into these predicted mammoth queues too. Perhaps I will try and stay sober until the sun starts to set and mostly drink water instead.

• Downvote 1

Just now, MJP said:

Less noisy than a space blanket. I went to Decathlon (don't think there's one in Plymouth, but been 5 years since I've lived there now) last week to get one.

Will be very welcome!

No, don't think there is but we do have a decent sized go outdoors so maybe in luck!

I got heat stroke in the 7 hour queue to get in on the Wednesday in 2010, and I was ill for the whole festival...so my tip is to make sure you have lots of water to hand in the queues, and a hat.  I had neither, and spent the whole festival regretting it.  I'm a sun baby and usually spend every spare moment in the sun, but I learnt my lesson hard that year.

And buy an umbrella.  The constant shade is invaluable.

Just now, JoBalls said:

I'm getting to the point where I'm actually considering rethinking what I'm taking clothing wise because I think I'll be too hot in leggings. This hasn't happened since 2010. 

I know! I'm currently doing emergency next day delivery clothes shopping as leggings have been a staple the last few years.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, theDandy said:

Will factor 30 be enough for somebody with squirrel brown hair? I didn't expect anything more than factor 30

If you put it on twice with just enough time for it to dry in between it'll effectively be factor 60.  Don't forget to leave some time between putting it on and going out in the sun - usually 15-30 minutes is what is recommended depending upon the brand you're using.

Just now, mandolin said:

If you put it on twice with just enough time for it to dry in between it'll effectively be factor 60.  Don't forget to leave some time between putting it on and going out in the sun - usually 15-30 minutes is what is recommended depending upon the brand you're using.

I can't tell if you're being serious or not?!

6 minutes ago, MJP said:

Get a tarp to go over the tent! £20 and it'll be so damn worth it.

Unless it's a space blanket foil looking tarp, don't bother.

I did this in 2010 and I nearly fucking cooked the kids, after wandering off at dawn to get breakfast. 

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Larraht said:

My top tip from 2010 was late afternoon showers in the green peace area. No queues and you felt like a new person afterwards. Sets you up nicely for the evening! 

And drink bucket loads of water

13 minutes ago, oneeye said:

PS however funny it may seem at the time, don't leave your pissed up mate comatosed in the baking sun, it will do them serious damage and ruin their festival; look after each other.

^^^ this. We looked after this random dude for about an hour in 2015. Kept moving him every 20 mins as the shade of the flags moved. Gave him water too, watched him suddenly come to, thank us and wondered off to enjoy his fest. Gave us both a warm feeling inside that we'd helped someone out, and made us feel old at the same time :mellow:

image.jpg

• Upvote 4

Just now, theDandy said:

I can't tell if you're being serious or not?!

I am - I really wouldn't joke about this stuff having seen on of my friends being blistered to f**k in cloudy weather.  What I've said above is what was recommended to her at the time (for future use - obviously waaaaaay too late to save her that time.)

2 minutes ago, Lucy92 said:

That's a fabulous idea! 

I would apart from it takes so damn long to fill up !! which I will be doing at night when then there are no queues for the taps , I'm not sure I will be appreciated filling a 7 litre bottle , when people are gasping for water behind me !!

6 minutes ago, Larraht said:

I know! I'm currently doing emergency next day delivery clothes shopping as leggings have been a staple the last few years.

Me too, also ordered a little paddling pool that I can set up at the caravan for my little boy.  

15 minutes ago, Larraht said:

Wednesday can be tricky as shaded areas can be fenced off while they set up the stages. If you need to cool down go to tree areas- glade, strummersville, wood area by John peel.

Once the stages are open there are lots of shaded locations - avalon, circus field tents, John peel, silver Hayes, acoustic. They won't always be cool but they do get you out of the glaring sun. The rrest is basic stuff- don't stay in the blazing sun for hours on end- seek shade every hour or so, put on suncream, drink water.

An emergency shade option is just to get a friend or two to stand up, then sit down in their shadow.

The tap water is usually very cool and refreshing and fine to drink- it will revive you! 

Edited by Mr.Tease
  • Upvote 1