Weather 2017

Nobody Interesting

4 minutes ago, mrfunk said:

Ok so let's talk hats.. I've got no hair, and been looking to find a replacement for my trusty yet vey dated bucket hat. Although I find my head completely bakes with a hat on, generating a headache from hell.  What's your best option to keep the sun from baking the skull?

I'm going with a straw trilby this year.

I've gone for a new style this year. I look like I'm trying to be down with the kids and failing with a baseball cap and I seem to destroy anything the slightest bit fragile (see straw trilby) so I've gone for what I consider to be the 'Cuban Dictator'. Not sure if it's the official style name mind

Image result for karrimor carter hat

Lets give @stuartbert two hats another one just in case he doesn't realise this is urgent

2 minutes ago, Tommy101 said:

I've gone for a new style this year. I look like I'm trying to be down with the kids and failing with a baseball cap and I seem to destroy anything the slightest bit fragile (see straw trilby) so I've gone for what I consider to be the 'Cuban Dictator'. Not sure if it's the official style name mind

Image result for karrimor carter hat

Lets give @stuartbert two hats another one just in case he doesn't realise this is urgent

My wife refers to my hat in that style as my "African Paramilitary" hat.

So are straw hats cooler and less sweaty than cotton? ive always thought this but never given it a go. Just the thought of having my brain boiled again in my skull brings shivers

18 minutes ago, mrfunk said:

Ok so let's talk hats.. I've got no hair, and been looking to find a replacement for my trusty yet vey dated bucket hat. Although I find my head completely bakes with a hat on, generating a headache from hell.  What's your best option to keep the sun from baking the skull?

Double up.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, mrfunk said:

So are straw hats cooler and less sweaty than cotton? ive always thought this but never given it a go. Just the thought of having my brain boiled again in my skull brings shivers

You'll get sweaty round the headband, but not on the crown as - unlike a beany, bucket or baseball cap - there's no scalp contact there - just cooling air.  And the brim protects ya neck.

Just re-run my GFS ensemble analysis again using today's  06z

160617_6z_plot.pngas per before:- 

X axis is total accumulated daily rainfall 

Y axis is the day by date 

Each GFS ensemble member is represented by the points (dots  - different colours represent the 4 different runs in the last 24 hours), the lines are the linear trends.

The so the points represent the range of likely outcomes and the more tightly they are clustered (closer together) across the x axis the more confidence we have in the forecast

Another way of visualising the same data :-

160617_6hz_bar.png 

Here  X axis = the day by date, Y axis = count of ensemble forecast members (84  (21 per run x 4 runs)) broken down by the level of rain they are forecasting 

So light green is good (minimal rainfall) and dark brown is bad (lots of rainfall) more green you can see = better chance of minimal rainfall

• Upvote 2