Weather 2017

Nobody Interesting

6 minutes ago, DownboundTrain52 said:

As a fair novice of merely camping next to the coach station in Darble last year, how would Oxlyers fare in these prospective conditions? Believe the folk I'm meeting will be there...

None too bad, in my experience, having camped in both.  Largely flat ground which, while at the bottom of the valley is shielded by the old railway line to the south.  Don't camp near the bogs though.

Just now, Spindles said:

None too bad, in my experience, having camped in both.  Largely flat ground which, while at the bottom of the valley is shielded by the old railway line to the south.  Don't camp near the bogs though.

I'll pass that on, cheers.

(He says, despite the fact the rest of his crew are seasoned veterans of a decade.)

4 minutes ago, T-Mouse said:

The BBC News weather is forecasting low pressure fronts, thunderstorms and unsettled weather towards the end of next week. Night all :)

Why do you try to hurt me so :( I'm now ignoring all weather forecasts until Monday night (whilst fevershily checking every day till then obviously) 

3 hours ago, stuartbert two hats said:

But 2015 was better than 2014.

Was it? That's not my recollection, weirdly. No wait. You're right. Sorry. Yes, you're right.

This will be the best year since 2015!! Not really saying much though, that.

Edited by kalifire

2 minutes ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

This relentless sun and good weather is putting me on edge, I'd love a few days of decent rain right now. At least we were close this year though, a week earlier and it would've been the perfect festival weather. Cest la vie.

Except that the rain seriously impedes the build and, although the relentless stuff was not typical in the run up last year, it was what did for us, ultimately. 

Better to have a perfect build and arrive and pitch in the dry, with maybe a little bit of wet over the festival, than arrive with the ground wet - that initial arrival of 150k people can destroy it in minutes if it's already wet. 

Saying all of that, and acknowledging the pointlessness of forecasts in the main, everything now pretty much guarantees no chance of a repeat of ground conditions like last year. 

Having got off my coach and walked the last 8.5miles last year, arriving 4-5 hours before my coach did, I would take a sprinkle or two over the festival to avoid the arrival carnage of last year plus 5 days traversing chewing gum mud. 

It's all gonna be fine, in the end. 

:)

Ben

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, bennyhana22 said:

Except that the rain seriously impedes the build and, although the relentless stuff was not typical in the run up last year, it was what did for us, ultimately. 

Better to have a perfect build and arrive and pitch in the dry, with maybe a little bit of wet over the festival, than arrive with the ground wet - that initial arrival of 150k people can destroy it in minutes if it's already wet. 

Saying all of that, and acknowledging the pointlessness of forecasts in the main, everything now pretty much guarantees no chance of a repeat of ground conditions like last year. 

Having got off my coach and walked the last 8.5miles last year, arriving 4-5 hours before my coach did, I would take a sprinkle or two over the festival to avoid the arrival carnage of last year plus 5 days traversing chewing gum mud. 

It's all gonna be fine, in the end. 

:)

Ben

I too was caught up in all the chaos last year and it took me the best part of 24 hours from leaving my house to get there properly, so I know that having a completely dry run up (which now looks almost certain) is a god send and probably more important.

I'm also very selfish and want to 'have my cake and eat it' :P

The BBC week ahead report late last night didn't make for pleasant viewing.

He seemed almost certain of a breakdown in the weather next week and appeared to be torn as to wether it would come up from the south (thundery) or from the Atlantic (thundery) - personally doesn't seem to be a lot you can get torn over, storms are almost definitely on the cards I'd say. I wouldn't be surprised if we get 2014 like conditions. Won't stop us though, infact I quite like the community Glastonbury spirit that comes out in testing conditions (trying to do some wierd reverse psychology on the weather gods)

Ventusky saying rain will arrive in the wee hours of Saturday.

Accuweather also predict rain on the fest weekend. 

YR saying 29 degrees on Thursday with a little rain on Friday and a big temp drop off

Edited by Mozzer79