Weather 2017

Nobody Interesting

17 minutes ago, tarw said:

If the ground is baked and we have heavy rain it will run straight off rather than soaking in. Don't pitch at the bottom of the hill guys. 

Can anyone explain how if the ground is baked rain is just going to run off? Surely it'd get soaked up? 

1 minute ago, Drfoxxx said:

Can anyone explain how if the ground is baked rain is just going to run off? Surely it'd get soaked up? 

Like they said it'll mostly run towards the lowest point so don't camp at the bottom of any hills. Google "2005 Glasto floods" and you'll see why. Site was baked dry as a desert until it rained!

Perfectly dry sponge.  Lob water at it and it'll take on some but not loads.  Some will just bead on top. Lob water on damp sponge and it'll drink it up.

Very dry surfaces take a minute to catch up is my explanation. :) I'm sure someone with actual science words will explain better soon, if not before I hit post.

1 minute ago, Drfoxxx said:

The soil is clay, mood soil will tend to have lots of tiny air pockets witch help the water to drain through the soil, Dry compacted clay will have amost non of these are pockets and so the water will not have have anywhere to go. 

3 minutes ago, Cooter said:

Like they said it'll mostly run towards the lowest point so don't camp at the bottom of any hills. Google "2005 Glasto floods" and you'll see why. Site was baked dry as a desert until it rained!

As a fair novice of merely camping next to the coach station in Darble last year, how would Oxlyers fare in these prospective conditions? Believe the folk I'm meeting will be there...