Weather 2017

Nobody Interesting

2005 was great, fell asleep woke up listening to the rain, we had no radio or phone, We hung around till the rain stopped then went for a walk. the closer we got to the rail way track (coming from where Arcadia is now the more water we could see. streams everywhere. then we saw the carnage. where we were camped it was still green and pleasant

Just now, Sasperella said:

What did The Nal do with his time in the run up to 2010, when everyone knew it was going to be an absolute scorcher?

That wasn't certain till close to it. If I remember it correctly up to about a week before the festival the forecasts were all over the place. 

Have I got that right? The mind plays tricks.

8 minutes ago, WS_Jack_III said:

I'm confused, is @The Nal saying JP was a paedo?

There have been grumblings in the past that Glasto should really change the name of the stage but I think many folk look back and say "as sure twas a different time". :o Sure Bowie was most likely at it as well, but sure isnt he a hero down Pilton way.........?

Just now, ThomThomDrum said:

There have been grumblings in the past that Glasto should really change the name of the stage but I think many folk look back and say "as sure twas a different time". :o Sure Bowie was most likely at it as well, but sure isnt he a hero down Pilton way.........?

Fair few more wasn't there? Iggy and Jimmy Page jump to mind.

9 minutes ago, Scruffylovemonster said:

John peel, not the Nal, that is. I dunno how old Mrs Nal is. 

I wouldnt really call her `Mrs Nal` surly shes just the woman who waits by the door next to a fucktonne of umbrellas ready to run outside at the slightest hint of moisture with a bell to shout about the end of the world is coming in the form of a monsoon......as her husband plots upstairs on the best method to shitup the `whatever year it is` efests glastonbury weather thread, cackling to himself in excitement above the noise of his beloved outside spreading the rainy gospel.......truly an awesome couple.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

11 minutes ago, WS_Jack_III said:

I'm confused, is @The Nal saying JP was a paedo?

Yes.

Apologies for The Fail link (and hijacking the thread) but this is all true.

"All they wanted me to do was abuse them, sexually, which, of course, I was only too happy to do," Peel told the Guardian in 1975. 

"Girls," he said to the Sunday Correspondent in 1989, "used to queue up outside, oral sex they were particularly keen on, I remember one of my regular customers, as it were, turned out to be 13, though she looked older."

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/1999/jan/23/weekend.julieburchill

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/article-2794855/by-honouring-sex-predator-like-john-peel-bbc-shows-s-learnt-jimmy-savile-says-stephen-glover.html

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/tv/features/fiona-sturges-the-teary-tributes-to-john-peel-make-me-feel-queasy-youd-think-the-bbc-would-have-9797148.html

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/tvandradio/bbc/9603959/John-Peel-got-15-year-old-pregnant-after-meeting-at-Black-Sabbath-concert-claims-woman.html

article-2216453-15782882000005DC-742_634

Soz, anyway back to the rain eh?

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Glasto Weatherwatch said:

Site was bone dry in 05, one of the reasons the flooding was so bad.

Just checked forecasts from that year and that storm wasn't forecast until the Tuesday week of the festival.

Still remember lying in the sun on Thursday, not a cloud in the sky, and thinking - nah, must be wrong, no way it's going to rain in 12 hours.

Yep, I remember on the Thursday someone saying a man with a beard (a rare occurrence in the smooth-faced 2005) had just said there was going to be some horrific torrential rain. How I laughed. 

Did you ever get your weather chart horrifically wrong in the years you used to do it? 

1 hour ago, Scruffylovemonster said:

2007 pre festival wasn't flooded as far as I remember. Couldn't move in lost vagueness due to glue mud. 

There was then the Sunday night deluge though and definite flooded spots after that onslaught - I remember being sat on the bench at the meeting spot and the water came up to near the top of my wellies. Also the coach waiting areas were likewise the Monday morning 

41 minutes ago, Twisted Melon said:

That wasn't certain till close to it. If I remember it correctly up to about a week before the festival the forecasts were all over the place. 

Have I got that right? The mind plays tricks.

Yup, even when we were there I seem to recall there were more pessimistic messages on the weather boards at the info points.

4 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

You're going to love my Lord Buckethead costume.

I was just kidding with that last comment, I actually don't tend to mind tall folk standing in front of me, especially the ones that are sheepish about it, people shouldnt be forced to feel uncomfortable for something they have absolutely zero control over.

Will always embrace those sorts of guys (or girls) and let them know they are very welcome and not to worry.

• Upvote 2

In fact, latest GFS has a dribbling of rain throughout with very heavy rain Sunday afternoon.

If that comes off it would be like a 2007 / 2005 combo.

The GFS data is used for most of the forecasts so I would expect them to start reflecting the above over the next few hours.

The latest runs are no better (18z), going on the last few runs the best we can hope for is a few showers maybe none to heavy, the worse: 2007.

Glastonbury Festival Braces Itself For Rain

added 09 June 2010 at 14.52

There’s two weeks to go, it’s not looking good for sunshine...

Met Office officials have said it’s likely that this year’s Glastonbury Festival will be hit by showers. Mixed weather conditions for June will likely mean a muddy site, although it’s not thought that the weather will be as severe as that seen in 2005 amd 2007.

Speaking to the Mirror newspaper, Met Office weather forecaster Sarah Holland admitted there would be “changeable conditions”, with a sunny weekend seeming very unlikely indeed.

http://www.xfm.co.uk/news/2010/glastonbury-festival-braces-itself-for-rain

Edited by The Nal
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Sasperella said:

So, in 2005, I know Pennards got pretty fucked up, but what was the rest of the site like? Presumably that was the muddiest part and took the longest to dry out...?

Whole thing was destroyed Friday, but from Friday pm to end of festival weather was great.

Bizarrely, by Sunday afternoon the mud had compacted flat in most areas, with only a few horror spots left.

This I know because I was sat down before Brian Wilson at the Pyramid, but fell over later that night at Ian Brown (Other Stage never recovered as The Nal says) and was covered in slop. 

17 minutes ago, Mr.Tease said:

Did you ever get your weather chart horrifically wrong in the years you used to do it? 

All I ever did was compile everyone's forecasts, so it basically said everything at some point in the lead up to each festival. Even a stopped clock tells the right time twice a day. 

I think I was very pessimistic about 2003, and it was lovely. 

Just now, Glasto Weatherwatch said:

Whole thing was destroyed Friday, but from Friday pm to end of festival weather was great.

Bizarrely, by Sunday afternoon the mud had compacted flat in most areas, with only a few horror spots left.

This I know because I was sat down before Brian Wilson at the Pyramid, but fell over later that night at Ian Brown (Other Stage never recovered as The Nal says) and was covered in slop. 

Aaaah ok, so one day shit storm but also the ability to lie down the grass (earth?) at other times

Would anyone take 2005 weather again?? Only thinking of those NOT camping in Pennards, obviously! :)

That 2005 flood looks fucking horrendous. I couldn't watch all of that. Poor buggers tents submerged.  I presume the drainage is much much better now to prevent that happening again. 

A river running through a tent is probably enough to break many a person! 

Edited by Doug85

Just now, Sasperella said:

Aaaah ok, so one day shit storm but also the ability to lie down the grass (earth?) at other times

Would anyone take 2005 weather again?? Only thinking of those NOT camping in Pennards, obviously! :)

Er, no. 

Let's be clear, it's better muddy underfoot and limited rainfall than constant rain (98, 07), but you couldn't sit down until Sunday, and then only in very specific spots. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Doug85 said:

That 2005 flood looks fucking horrendous. I couldn't watch all of that. Poor buggers tents submerged.  I presume the drainage is much much better now to prevent that happening again. 

They put in new drainage along there year after IIRC (06 was a fallow year). 

12 minutes ago, Glasto Weatherwatch said:

All I ever did was compile everyone's forecasts, so it basically said everything at some point in the lead up to each festival. Even a stopped clock tells the right time twice a day. 

Ha, despite the weather data being more sophisticated and plentiful, essentially nothing has changed:lol:

25 minutes ago, Doug85 said:

Yep, we unfortunately returned home from the festival around mid afternoon that Friday having not seen a single band. The girl I was seeing at the time also woke up that morning with mumps so I think the gods were against us that year!

33 minutes ago, The Nal said:

In fact, latest GFS has a dribbling of rain throughout with very heavy rain Sunday afternoon.

If that comes off it would be like a 2007 / 2005 combo.

The GFS data is used for most of the forecasts so I would expect them to start reflecting the above over the next few hours.

The latest runs are no better (18z), going on the last few runs the best we can hope for is a few showers maybe none to heavy, the worse: 2007.

Glastonbury Festival Braces Itself For Rain

added 09 June 2010 at 14.52

There’s two weeks to go, it’s not looking good for sunshine...

Met Office officials have said it’s likely that this year’s Glastonbury Festival will be hit by showers. Mixed weather conditions for June will likely mean a muddy site, although it’s not thought that the weather will be as severe as that seen in 2005 amd 2007.

Speaking to the Mirror newspaper, Met Office weather forecaster Sarah Holland admitted there would be “changeable conditions”, with a sunny weekend seeming very unlikely indeed.

http://www.xfm.co.uk/news/2010/glastonbury-festival-braces-itself-for-rain

Christ, this really emphasises how pointless our speculation is at the moment...

I posted in the wrong group by accident, oops! Here is the correct one. I wuold def have taken this if offered it in October. Warm, bit cloudy for day time drinking, nice and cool at night. Lovely

http://www.glastofestfeed.com/2017/06/13/latest-weather-forecast-for-glastonbury-2017-will-it-be-the-sunnies-or-the-wellies/

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

6 minutes ago, simian_mobile_mushrooms said:

I posted in the wrong group by accident, oops! Here is the correct one. I wuold def have taken this if offered it in October. Warm, bit cloudy for day time drinking, nice and cool at night. Lovely

http://www.glastofestfeed.com/2017/06/13/latest-weather-forecast-for-glastonbury-2017-will-it-be-the-sunnies-or-the-wellies/

Sunday 25 June
The forecast indicates that the festival’s final day will be akin to Saturday which means one thing, or two simple words: NO RADIN!

Great news! I fucking hate RADIN!

Another utterly insane forecast from a dangerous lunatic.

No fucking RADIN!, no fucking compromise. 

Edited by The Nal
  • Upvote 1