Weather 2017

Nobody Interesting

10 minutes ago, ivan said:

Here is my take on it.

I had been at since I got on site , and sat outside our tents in early hours my mate said there is a storm coming so we decided to call it a night.  I thought I would not sleep due to certain substances but due to the lack of sleep since the Tuesday I was out like a light .  I vaguely remember it raining but that's about it.  We camp on big ground and so were in no danger of flooding etc.  When morning came my partner at the time rang me really worried.  "Festival could be cancelled " " Dance Tent on fire hit by lightening " "People missing presumed drowned " "No one can leave or get onto site "  She wanted to make sure I was ok and safe. 

I poked my head outside of my tent and said to her " everything looks fine to me "

I remember I got up later and my first band was British Sea Power , I dressed in all my wet weather gear - and not long after sun came out and I was boiling with about 4 layers on 

We were in the same area (right next to the cash machines which were at the top of Big Ground next to Worthy Farm that year. I remember it being really hot an sunny Thursday afternoon/evening. I think we went to bed in the early hours before the storms came. Got woken up by some thunder but went back to sleep. Woke up and their were rivers of water tumbling down the path next to Big Ground towards the Pyramid. There was lots of debate about if and when the festival was going to start, there was a massive flood outside around the Village Inn and foods outlets, and at the bottom of Pennards. Eventually the Thrills came on and the festival started. Cant remembered much more rain that year but it was already muddy after Friday morning, I really enjoyed 2005

So what the latest pretty graphs tell us is that it is far too early to tell anything much after this coming Sunday though the likelihood is that high pressure will remain until late on Thursday with potentially thundery weather heading up from the south on Friday.

So either, it will be great and many will get sun burnt or we are all fucked.

1 minute ago, Nobody Interesting said:

Are you saying the Express front page is wrong :D

I havent seen it but i'm going to stick my neck out there and says yes the Express is very wrong

3 minutes ago, stopwn1981 said:

Out of interest when you're outside for 5 days, where the hell are you supposed to go in the event of an epic thunderstorm - in 2014 when the stages were shut down we just stood there like pillocks and hoped for the best!

Go to a bar. Drink beer. Wait for the rain to stop.

• Upvote 2

10 minutes ago, stopwn1981 said:

Out of interest when you're outside for 5 days, where the hell are you supposed to go in the event of an epic thunderstorm - in 2014 when the stages were shut down we just stood there like pillocks and hoped for the best!

In 2014 the Crooners Corner was still running as that's just a one man band affair really. We all had a giggle at the guy singing What a Wonderful World under scaffolding in a thunderstorm. There might be similar stages.

Or find a tent and drink.

15 minutes ago, stopwn1981 said:

Safest place is in a car or other metal vehicle, faraday cage keeps you safe.

apparently if you are caught in the open, safest place is a forest( NOT A LONE TREE) or make like a mushroom, crouching down grabbing your ankles and prey to you own personal god.

In 2014 we happened to be heading backwards to the tent to pick up some bits, and then it started absolutely bloody bunging it down - so we sat in the porch, cracked open the rhubarb n custard voddy, and didn't come out til it was gone :P (the rain and the voddy, I mean)

9 minutes ago, JoeyT said:

This is an interesting read regarding the weather for next week...

Netweather Article

I understand about 20% of that, but it seems good to me that they're discussing whether it will be scorcio or cooler, and not whether we will have biblical rainstorms. That 's good, right? Or did I understand even less than I thought I did.... 

Also, if it is cooler, does that make thundery showers less likely? 

Just now, Smeble said:

Safest place is in a car or other metal vehicle, faraday cage keeps you safe.

apparently if you are caught in the open, safest place is a forest( NOT A LONE TREE) or make like a mushroom, crouching down grabbing your ankles and prey to you own personal god.

Does a forest of people at the Pyramid stage count? 

24 minutes ago, stopwn1981 said:

Stand next to someone taller than you and hope for the best.