Weather 2017

Nobody Interesting

Walking boots are well and good but they get covered in mud and crap and it's all in the laces and your hands get filthy putting them on and taking them off, then cleaning them is a pain. Wellies are easier in that regard.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Dave_c said:

Walking boots are well and good but they get covered in mud and crap and it's all in the laces and your hands get filthy putting them on and taking them off, then cleaning them is a pain. Wellies are easier in that regard.

Fold socks down over top of laces so the bow is covered. Lift sock at end of night and clean laces await you.

Worked a treat last year.

• Upvote 5

Walking boots served me well last year in the horrific mud, wore wellies on the saturday morning after the rain during the night and then i changed back to my walking boots once that had subsided. Boots are so much more comfortable and as mentioned fold the top of your socks over the laces or go all out and wear gaiters.

27 minutes ago, Dave_c said:

Aside from @Nobody Interesting's tactic - or the older one of using marigolds/gloves to deal with your laces - this is a couple of minutes of faff a day vs. five days of easier walking and better care for your feet.

Walking boots all day long. If it's really bad perhaps gaiters with them. I spend a lot of time in the peat bogs round by us in boots with no probs, wore mine last year, no stuck feet, immense grip and a baby wipe to clean fingers sorts the mud problem. 

A well twisted ankle in a welly wouldn't be conducive to a good weekend.

Each to their own mind as I guess an decent pair of wellies over a cheap pair of leaky boots could cause different issues.

43 minutes ago, mindrobber said:

Been every year since 2001 never taken wellies - to restrictive, DMs and water proof socks has served me well. 

Aye docs always serve me well, no way they're coming off when you find somewhere to sit during the day if they're muddy though. Worth having 10 tonne feet for 16 hour blocks to look hella fly though (word).

Shame I'll have to leave my docs in my tent all weekend due to dusty hard floor.

4 minutes ago, nikkic said:

Can all this talk of appropriate footwear stop now.... The big issue is what factor sun cream you're going to take?! Factor 30 for me. 

I'm a right moley bugger so factor 50 (wallpaper paste) for me.

1 hour ago, sisco said:

I currently don't own wellies!!! What to do?!!!

If you buy a really expensive pair of wellies, Sod's law says it will be gloriously sunny all festival. 

I think you've gotta take one for the team here.

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, Keithy said:

Post it every year so will do the same.... if you really want to weather geek out = https://earth.nullschool.net

Loads to play around with with several weather overlays. Updated every 4 hours and can zoom in around the world. click on the word 'earth' to open and close the menu.

If you have a touchscreen, it's even more fun to spin around the world :)

That's bloody marvellous! Even better than the other one posted somewhere...rather mesmerising!

15 minutes ago, VolumetricFox said:

"Riemann P20" the factor 30 spray version.  Apply once in the morning and does you right the whole day.  Takes a good 5 minutes to dry but not having to think about it the rest of the day is ideal.

Boots have an apply once a day job now too, not tried it but have bought some test out at Glastonbury, got to be worth it not to have to reapply and therefore rub the dust into your skin multiple times a day

21 minutes ago, VolumetricFox said:

"Riemann P20" the factor 30 spray version.  Apply once in the morning and does you right the whole day.  Takes a good 5 minutes to dry but not having to think about it the rest of the day is ideal.

Is this the one that smells like industrial cleaning fluid? 

• Upvote 1