Weather 2017

Nobody Interesting

I haven't read the previous 58 pages so apologies if this has been covered .... but what is the state of the ground right now ? is it baked, slightly dry or moist ? Info from those on site now would be realy welcome.

I have been in pretty much all possible conditions at the festival, the deep mud is the only really bad one. all temperatures are OK though I prefer it not to be super hot as I burn easily.

getting excited now, in a week's time I will start packing the van :D

• Upvote 1

On 10/6/2017 at 0:08 PM, The Nal said:

I haven't dared to check until now. I must be interpreting this wrong. That doesn't look to bad at all, does it? A bit of rain now and then. Surely we have had much worse...?

41 minutes ago, tigertoo said:

I haven't read the previous 58 pages so apologies if this has been covered .... but what is the state of the ground right now ? is it baked, slightly dry or moist ? Info from those on site now would be realy welcome.

I have been in pretty much all possible conditions at the festival, the deep mud is the only really bad one. all temperatures are OK though I prefer it not to be super hot as I burn easily.

Rock hard.

52 minutes ago, tigertoo said:

I don't live anywhere near Pilton but if it's any use my lawn is rock hard at the moment.

I just read the very helpful people on netweather - they absolutely know their stuff.  

https://www.netweather.tv/forum/topic/87748-model-output-discussions-12z-01062017/?page=12

And of course our very own thread 

https://www.netweather.tv/forum/topic/87677-glastonbury-2017-21-25-june/?page=3

From the very little I know we need to watch where the high pressure goes.  Winds go clockwise around high pressure so if it's to the west of us = cold northerlies.  If it goes to the east we get the warm air from the south.... But we also want the high pressure to remain so the jet stream goes north and takes the low pressure rain systems with it.  But what could happen at the last minute is they see a short cut and go 'f*ck it, I know a short cut across Pilton".  eeeek.

And even if there is no low pressure systems on the map - it doesn't rule out thunder showers.  For that you need the rain radar map - to track thunderstorms and rain on the day. 

well if the ground is rock hard then I am very happy as  deep mud wont be a major problem this year. so thank goodness for that after last year. This could be a brilliant year and we deserve it after last year.

If we get a sudden downpour then it will collect in the the dips, instead of immediately soaking away which is not a disaster unless your tent is in a dip.  I was there the year that some poor folks' tents were floating, a number of families had to be rescued whose tents were in dips at the top of cockmill meadow, I remember rain flowing fast under our tent but it looks like a very small chance of that happening again.

if it is dry enough for folks to sit on the ground that is the making of a very fine festival. :D

Edited by tigertoo
punctuation

32 minutes ago, tigertoo said:

well if the ground is rock hard then I am very happy as  deep mud wont be a major problem this year. so thank goodness for that after last year. This could be a brilliant year and we deserve it after last year.

If we get a sudden downpour then it will collect in the the dips, instead of immediately soaking away which is not a disaster unless your tent is in a dip.  I was there the year that some poor folks' tents were floating, a number of families had to be rescued whose tents were in dips at the top of cockmill meadow, I remember rain flowing fast under our tent but it looks like a very small chance of that happening again.

if it is dry enough for folks to sit on the ground that is the making of a very fine festival. :D

if you pitch your tent using common sense aka not in a dip or at the bottom of a slope youll be fine. And yes hoping to be able to sit down on park hill in the sun again with a beer on Wednesday taking it all this year, didnt feel right without that little first thing to do after sorting out my tent etc ritual last year

1 hour ago, tigertoo said:

If it is dry enough for folks to sit on the ground that is making of a very fine festival. :D

Agreed. The thing that made last year so much more hardgoing than other years is the fact that you couldn't just plonk down for a little rest every now and then... it meant that by 1am every night we were ready for bed when in usual times we would party til 4 or 5.

I don't mind a little bit of rain during the festival as long as the grounds not already waterlogged. If it dries up quickly and you can sit on the floor again within a couple of hours, then it's not too much of a problem. Emphasis on the "little bit" though!! :lol: 

3 minutes ago, JoBalls said:

Agreed. The thing that made last year so much more hardgoing than other years is the fact that you couldn't just plonk down for a little rest every now and then... it meant that by 1am every night we were ready for bed when in usual times we would party til 4 or 5.

I don't mind a little bit of rain during the festival as long as the grounds not already waterlogged. If it dries up quickly and you can sit on the floor again within a couple of hours, then it's not too much of a problem. Emphasis on the "little bit" though!! :lol: 

we were lucky that we were camped near arcadia/the park last year which meant we could get back after the headliners for a quick 'leg rest' , load up and take the short walk to one of those two venues....also helped that when it finished we were back at the tents within 5 mins.

did make us very lazy though, i only ventured out to shangri-la once over the whole weekend, and the sunday night we just sat around the tents after headliners. 

i've done enough festivals now to know how to cope with it, just i think the older you get (i'm nearly 36) the less inclined you are to get about the site.