Weather 2017

Nobody Interesting

I feel a bit sad that I didn't really work out how to do 2010 weather til quite near the end of the festival. I did struggle a bit early on.

Then it was stay close to the tent or in a shady area (if you can find one) resting until about 4/5pm unless there is someone I am desperate to see, and drinking plenty of water. Then get going, start the alcohol, and party til late once the sun starts to cool a little. Overall, just generally take it slower in the day, and get things moving as evening falls. (Which I accept is many people's festival anyway!)

In the rain, I tend to keep moving, plan to see as many bands as possible (preferable upbeat) and actually try to vary the stages so that I am not just standing in mud all day. I don't mind having to trudge through mud as much as having to stand in it - I hate that feeling when your feet just keep getting stuck to where you are stood. I drink loads of rum so I stay warm and laugh at the mud, and keep active.

its two very different experiences, and both take a little moderation of what you would do on a so-so weather year, but I'd definitely take the sun over the mud - if only because the site looks so much prettier with green grass and blue skies - I hate it when everything just turns to brown and greyness.

45 minutes ago, The Nal said:

If anyone hasn't looked at Metcheck yet, here it is. The worst forecast in the history of the festival. 

http://www.metcheck.com/WEATHER/16days.asp?zipcode=BA4&locationID=58239&lat=51.2&lon=-2.5&findtype=

Metcheck are shit, one year they actually predicted wind speeds of 283mph. Needless to say it wasn't that windy

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Mozzer79 said:

Is 3mm of rain enough to ensure a day of mudfest? Only one of the days exceeded that.

3mm is bugger all.

4 minutes ago, brettredmayne said:

Isnt metcheck largely known as the most inaccurate site of the lot?

Basically they speak bollocks.

but we are totally fucked ;)

2 minutes ago, Scruffylovemonster said:

I never knew that was a factor. 

According to Gav the showers will be lighter from the North rather than when coming from South West and Atlantic.....cooler temps though....which I would take over wet anyday.

Edited by parsonjack

One of the few joys of not having a ticket this year is not having to fret about the weather. But I reckon no forecast can be relied on until about a week before.  Most forecasts this far ahead are based on statistics about weather in previous years.

As a general rule I reckon the critical days are arrival and departure as it's not much fun setting up of taking down in heavy rain. In between those days it's a case of "There's no such things as bad weather - just inappropriate clothing."

13 minutes ago, Scruffylovemonster said:

I never knew that was a factor. 

Our prevailing weather comes from the Atlantic. Usually when we have bad weather it is does to a series of lows sweeping in over the west from the Atlantic, and this is what causes a soaking.

But there is set to be a high over the top of the Atlantic which will divert the jet stream and prevent the any low/bands of rain from coming in off the sea. Instead, any rain we would get would be the tail end of any low which has been forced north of the UK and over Scotland.

On 2017-6-8 at 7:30 PM, Eks101 said:

Erm, pretty sure this time last year we were all revelling in the fact the ground was dry and the forecasts were only showing a few showers here and there for the following weeks. And then....

I'm looking at next weeks forecast and its going to be hot until early next week - we had massive floods around that time last year

you've got sauerkraut in your lederhosen (sorry couldn't resist)

• Upvote 1

I want to believe. In south Devon its pretty grim at the moment (and has been all week). Wet, cloudy and cold. Went to a small festival last night and sat in the drizzle with my cider. Hoping things will pick up as expected next week and progressively improve. Couldn't help but worry about standing in the extra long queues this year in the cold and rain.

1 hour ago, Larraht said:

I want to believe. In south Devon its pretty grim at the moment (and has been all week). Wet, cloudy and cold. Went to a small festival last night and sat in the drizzle with my cider. Hoping things will pick up as expected next week and progressively improve. Couldn't help but worry about standing in the extra long queues this year in the cold and rain.

Still raining in Paignton. Did you go to Lemonfest last night ? 

13 minutes ago, Earthwindandfire2205 said:

Still raining in Paignton. Did you go to Lemonfest last night ? 

Thats the one! Lovely little festival - We found salvage from the rain in a tent with Craig Charles Funk and Soul Show so not all bad!

39 minutes ago, Larraht said:

Thats the one! Lovely little festival - We found salvage from the rain in a tent with Craig Charles Funk and Soul Show so not all bad!

Nice. My Son is filming the bands there this weekend. Says it was good last night.

J10 update is in, the weekend has got a bit chillier but a good Monday-Friday.

Accuweather has downgraded the Sunday temperature to 16 degrees too. That ain't good for June. The average should be 20+.

A long way to go yet though, that Azores finger needs to get pointing for just a couple of days.