Weather 2017

Nobody Interesting

Well, I've recently done my bit for all of you anyway... recently spent a fortune on our problematic boiler, basically the lounge at the front of the house never got warm, loads of replaced parts a power flush and £££ later and it now gets toasty warm... AND we are now having a wood burning stove installed in there too, so we will have an over abundance of heat available in the house, which of course should now become immediately useless once the obvious heatwave such actions are likely to bring about occurs.

1 hour ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

Well, I've recently done my bit for all of you anyway... recently spent a fortune on our problematic boiler, basically the lounge at the front of the house never got warm, loads of replaced parts a power flush and £££ later and it now gets toasty warm... AND we are now having a wood burning stove installed in there too, so we will have an over abundance of heat available in the house, which of course should now become immediately useless once the obvious heatwave such actions are likely to bring about occurs.

Thanks Nobby, taking one for the team. Our heavily ironic weather system can't possibly overlook that, we're sorted!

The current hot weather wont have any affect on the weather next month.. its either going to be dry or wet.  I am keeping an eye on the next rolling 7 days though to see whats happening to the ground.

From what I've read on here and other places the ground does need some moisture in the run up.  There's a few days rain predicted in the coming week or so (this weekend).

As we progress towards the end of the month though (still looking at the preceding 7 days only) if the rain predictions start to be constant then the concern should start. 

I think the rainathon started last year at the start of June 

Its not going too though...... right....

23 minutes ago, Stretlow said:

The current hot weather wont have any affect on the weather next month.. its either going to be dry or wet.  I am keeping an eye on the next rolling 7 days though to see whats happening to the ground.

From what I've read on here and other places the ground does need some moisture in the run up.  There's a few days rain predicted in the coming week or so (this weekend).

As we progress towards the end of the month though (still looking at the preceding 7 days only) if the rain predictions start to be constant then the concern should start. 

What's all this about hot weather? It's been freezing for the time of year in London... dry but bloody cold.

Just now, Zoo Music Girl said:

What's all this about hot weather? It's been freezing for the time of year in London... dry but bloody cold.

Agreed, where we are has had some beautifully sunny days over the last couple of weeks, but Christ, that wind has made it bitterly cold!

51 minutes ago, The Clearest Blue said:

I am a little concerned of the lack of rain in the somerset area recently, ideally if we could be getting some nightly showers (so that is doesn't effect the build) between now and mid June when it turns to back to back sunshine, that would be great!

I second this, even the moss in my lawn is suffering

7 hours ago, waterfalls212434 said:

I was there, it was very hot and dusty didnt cause me any issues though, that was actually my first ever fest and the first ever download so always memorable. I remember being into a metal band called stampin ground(well I say being, I still listen to them now but their not around anymore I dont think) and they played as one of the first if not the first act (I dont remember) on the main stage I think but because of their cult fame they got a bit of a monster crowd for the time of day, it was awesome :)

`edit` found a vid of it....my 18 year old self was somewhere in one of those pits absolutely loving it!

Anyways I digress, dust or no dust id love download 2003 weather this june!

Aaaah I was in that pit too! Excellent way to start a day :-) Yep, was my first festival too. Nothing ever came close to matching it again until I first went to Glastonbury, over ten years later!

And I agree..   I'd totally take that weather too :-) Even the dust and the Sunday evening mini storm

3 hours ago, Stretlow said:

I get back to England on the 27th May. So probably...

3 hours ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

3 hours ago, merago said:

Agreed, where we are has had some beautifully sunny days over the last couple of weeks, but Christ, that wind has made it bitterly cold!

Of course now I've said that it's just turned beautiful out there... perhaps we've turned a corner.

This dry ground thing baffles me.......surly if the ground is bone dry any water is going to soak right in, the ground is going to be at its maximum capacity to absorb as itll be bone dry, far better then it being wet already then it raining again and it just sitting there as the grounds so wet it cant take anymore? 

or am I wrong? 

1 minute ago, waterfalls212434 said:

This dry ground thing baffles me.......surly if the ground is bone dry any water is going to soak right in, the ground is going to be at its maximum capacity to absorb as itll be bone dry, far better then it being wet already then it raining again and it just sitting there as the grounds so wet it cant take anymore? 

or am I wrong? 

Basically, I think it's all down to paranoia over what happened in 2005. That year the ground was as dry as anything, then the rain came and areas flooded.

Of course I think the bigger factor there was having a months worth of rain in the space of 4 hours. Last year there was a similar amount of rainfall in a similar amount of time about 2 weeks before the festival - landing on ground that was already moist and still screwed the ground up up at least as badly and arguably moreso.

Whereas in 2005 the ground was able to dry out pretty quickly after the flood in most of the site - by Sunday the only mud left was at the bottom of slopes where water had settled.

So yeah I think it's something that's at best massively overstated on here and quite possibly bollocks.

6 hours ago, incident said:

Basically, I think it's all down to paranoia over what happened in 2005. That year the ground was as dry as anything, then the rain came and areas flooded.

Of course I think the bigger factor there was having a months worth of rain in the space of 4 hours. Last year there was a similar amount of rainfall in a similar amount of time about 2 weeks before the festival - landing on ground that was already moist and still screwed the ground up up at least as badly and arguably moreso.

Whereas in 2005 the ground was able to dry out pretty quickly after the flood in most of the site - by Sunday the only mud left was at the bottom of slopes where water had settled.

So yeah I think it's something that's at best massively overstated on here and quite possibly bollocks.

Willing to go with you on that!

So when does this thread really start heating up usually  (pardon the pun)? Once we hit June?