Weather 2017

Nobody Interesting

16 hours ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

I'm only looking at the protective sun hat that you're not wearing.

Agreed. I was caught out in the queue to get into the festival and got burnt. Serves me right for wearing a vest. Still not convinced with the suncream. I've worn it before and the dreaded dust just sticks to it. The wetwipe bath becomes a military operation.

NFR - Non-frequent rain
NFC - Nice fluffy clouds

In all my time I've never known a really dusty one... though my brother swears that 1995* was. He claims the festival, including the cars, was like a Martian landscape as the dust turned everything the same colour.

* Disclaimer : may not have been 1995 but was claimed to be one of the ones just before my first in 1997. Perhaps as a wind up. :unsure:

Edited by maclauk

15 minutes ago, Untz said:

I swear that the way people go on about the dust you'd think there was dust storms so bad you could barely see your hand in front of you.

You barely even get dusty shoes.

I agree. In 10 years I can't remember once uttering the words "this dust is really ruining my festival"

2010 was a tad too hot, but i'd take that over a muddy one!

The current 'drought' is a concern though:

1 - to my mind, it means the rain will catch up laster in the year, e.g. June!

2 - If the sound is that solid going into the fest, any rain will sit!

4 minutes ago, The Clearest Blue said:

I want sun and fluffy white clouds and epic sunsets and stunning sun rises and naps in the shade and good vibes!

This.  Exactly this.  For those of you who did suffer from the dust in 2010 - mr mandolin had a real problem with it - bring eye drops, antihistamines a-plenty and wrap around sunglasses and you'll be fine.

• Upvote 1

My only experience of dust at a festival was at one of the Readings I went to, maybe 2009 or 2010? I remember being violently sick for hours on the friday (I am hardly ever sick), I went to the medical centre and they blamed the dust, claiming it can cause a bad reaction if you inhale/consume too much by accident. I have no idea how medically accurate that was, but it certainly has led me to despise dust. 

But I bought I bandanna to wear over my face when moving through dusty areas and coped pretty well after that. Dust is far easier to handle. Say no to mud. 

This is going back a few years, but the only dusty festival I've been to (and also the only one that hasn't been overly muddy - Glastonbury 2014 is probably my second driest festival, and I've seen people on here refer to it as a mud bath!) was Download 2003. The Saturday was crazy hot and all my clothes had a lovely orange tint when I got home. I remember feeling sick on the Saturday afternoon too, but I think that was more sun and heat than the dust.

As a side note, I also drank absolutely nothing for the entire Saturday and Sunday, as far as I can remember. And it was my 18 Birthday that weekend, on the Saturday I think....But that's how much of an eager metaller I used to be. No time for queuing for beers or risking needing a wee at a pivotal moment. The very idea of that seems bonkers now. 

Edited by Sasperella

5 hours ago, Sasperella said:

This is going back a few years, but the only dusty festival I've been to (and also the only one that hasn't been overly muddy - Glastonbury 2014 is probably my second driest festival, and I've seen people on here refer to it as a mud bath!) was Download 2003. The Saturday was crazy hot and all my clothes had a lovely orange tint when I got home. I remember feeling sick on the Saturday afternoon too, but I think that was more sun and heat than the dust.

As a side note, I also drank absolutely nothing for the entire Saturday and Sunday, as far as I can remember. And it was my 18 Birthday that weekend, on the Saturday I think....But that's how much of an eager metaller I used to be. No time for queuing for beers or risking needing a wee at a pivotal moment. The very idea of that seems bonkers now. 

I was there, it was very hot and dusty didnt cause me any issues though, that was actually my first ever fest and the first ever download so always memorable. I remember being into a metal band called stampin ground(well I say being, I still listen to them now but their not around anymore I dont think) and they played as one of the first if not the first act (I dont remember) on the main stage I think but because of their cult fame they got a bit of a monster crowd for the time of day, it was awesome :)

`edit` found a vid of it....my 18 year old self was somewhere in one of those pits absolutely loving it!

Anyways I digress, dust or no dust id love download 2003 weather this june!

Edited by waterfalls212434

12 hours ago, benc said:

2010 was a tad too hot, but i'd take that over a muddy one!

The current 'drought' is a concern though:

1 - to my mind, it means the rain will catch up laster in the year, e.g. June!

2 - If the sound is that solid going into the fest, any rain will sit!

This is what really bothers me. At the moment we are having freakishly low levels of rain. Where I live I can't remember the last time it actually rained for any noticeable length of time. So are we, the UK, really going to have a drought that lasts three months?? It's highly unlikely, what's more likely is that we have freakishly low levels of rain in April and May, but then sometime in May then going into June we have the equivalent amount of freakish rain. That's how the weather in this stupid country works.

Some rain forecast this weekend, but nothing of any great measure. The current drought has been perfect for setting up on site (unlike last year); we are in for a good one this year pop pickers.

its not so much the dust that's the problem, more the tornados :lol:

Edited by oneeye
  • Upvote 1

Certainly very dry so far across the country through winter and now in to spring. Met Office guidance in their 30 day text forecast is OK, particularly into early June. 

UK Outlook for Wednesday 24 May 2017 to Wednesday 7 Jun 2017:

Towards the end of May a rather mixed period is most likely, with the more unsettled conditions across the northwest, with rain here at times. It will probably remain drier in southern and south-eastern areas though. Temperatures will tend towards the seasonal average, or will be slightly below this for some. Into early June it appears more likely that high pressure will dominate the United Kingdom, bringing dry and warmer weather for most, however confidence is low at this stage.

Updated at: 1333 on Tue 9 May 2017