Weather 2017

Nobody Interesting

22 hours ago, maclauk said:

You've kinda just remade my point. Full sun makes you modify your behaviour just as rain and mud does. You seek shade instead of places to keep out the rain but often they are the same. The energy used to move around the site is also increased in the heat just as it is in the mud. And a few new places to seek shade have appeared since 2010 but the ones available that year were rammed.  

I'm in no way hasty to suggest that I'd like some light fluffy clouds.

A big golf umbrella someone had was so good for shade when sitting around in 2010. Will definitely invest in one for this year's scorcher.

• Upvote 1

On 03/05/2017 at 3:37 PM, somecoolusername said:

I don't think it did...? I arrived around 6pm on Wednesday so it might have rained before I was onsite? But I'm pretty sure the first rain was on Friday

I pitched in the rain on the Wednesday after it had rained constantly since about 2am.  It was nice Thursday though.

1 hour ago, Jiminy said:

A big golf umbrella someone had was so good for shade when sitting around in 2010. Will definitely invest in one for this year's scorcher.

That's the kind of behaviour modification I can get on board with!

On ‎03‎/‎05‎/‎2017 at 3:07 PM, somecoolusername said:

It was mostly sunny/cloudy during the festival though, with a couple of downpours. Pretty close to what that forecast said! Most of the rain happened before we were onsite 

Hmm no it pretty much pee'd it down until Saturday.  Much more optimistic this year though :)

4 minutes ago, henry bear said:

I don't like it when the weather's too nice in May - as it is not going to last until the end of June. It was one of the driest Aprils on record too. I want some rain soon and for it to get nice again into June, but not too late...

Yes this lack of rain is really disconcerting, where I live it hasn't  rained properly for a month or so. We can only hope this year is some sort of freak year with no rain.

9 minutes ago, naughtygeorgie said:

http://www.gavsweathervids.com/glastonbury-festival-weather-2017.php

Gavs 1st weather thing :)

Edit: it tells us nothing :D:D:D

Gav can do one. I'm still fuming at his reading of a chart last year where he said "it says 21, but could easily be 23, 24, 25 or 26" or some such shite. 

He did seem to do a reasonable job of actually describing the data for a layman like me once there actually was some reliable data, but I'm not going to let that get in the way of my faux outrage. Also, like any weather forecaster, I'm not going to pay him much attention* until the festival is next week, and not lend them much credence until the Sunday.

*Clearly a blatent lie, otherwise I wouldn't be reading a weather thread 45 days before the gates open.

Seeing as long term predictions are always wrong I'm happy to announce that festiweather is predicting rain Fri-Mon

http://www.festiweather.com/forecast.asp?EventID=667&event=Glastonbury Festival 2017

Accuweather is again predicting the opposite weather to Festiweather. Talk about hedging bets.

Not sure if anyone else has said but it seems festiweather uses MetCheck for their data. May even be the same company based on their favicons.

2 minutes ago, Junglist1981 said:

I'm concerned about how dry it is right now.

In my head the further into May we go without a proper wet spell the more likely it is to piss it down for the entire of June.

Wasn't May dry last year?

Pretty sure it was dry and cold, then really sunny first weekend then hammered it down

20 hours ago, henry bear said:

I don't like it when the weather's too nice in May - as it is not going to last until the end of June. It was one of the driest Aprils on record too. I want some rain soon and for it to get nice again into June, but not too late...

I read the long range met forecast, which gives u a basic overview of the next few weeks, which assured me May would turn out to be atrocious. I took this as a good sign...but as Im not in England and relying on ur reports, I too find the lack of rain very disturbing.

If it could be really shit until the 30th May (as the 31st is my Birthday and I intend to be drinking cider in Sheffield's finest beer gardens) and then allow the ground to dry out, that'd be lush

This grey cold weather is getting me down now. Hardly right for getting in the festival frame of mind!

Anyone remember the run-up to 2010? From memory it changed very close to the festival that year. I went to Latvia with work the weekend before and distinctly remember coming home on the Monday evening and being blown away by how hot it was.

Wayyy too early to look at long-term forecasts, but all this water shortage talk is definitely concerning. 2011 was the driest spring for a century and though I wasn't there - I'm sure some of you can remember the weather at the festival that year...

1 minute ago, 40 Days said:

Wayyy too early to look at long-term forecasts, but all this water shortage talk is definitely concerning. 2011 was the driest spring for a century and though I wasn't there - I'm sure some of you can remember the weather at the festival that year...

Heavens opened as we were queuing and didn't stop until Saturday. Plenty of Bikinis and Wellies on the Sunday though!

4 minutes ago, squirrelarmy said:

Heavens opened as we were queuing and didn't stop until Saturday. Plenty of Bikinis and Wellies on the Sunday though!

The ground recovered at an unbelievable rate on that day. 

Whether it rains or not during the festival the ground will have a much better than of survival compared to last year as it stands. 

47 minutes ago, Ricci's Special Kebabs said:

The ground recovered at an unbelievable rate on that day. 

Whether it rains or not during the festival the ground will have a much better than of survival compared to last year as it stands. 

Mud cannot survive once the temperature gets to 21 degrees. So as long as it's warm at the end of June a bit of rain won't do much damage (in that it will quickly recover). That's if it's 21 and above...

Can we stop adding the "it's too early to look at long term forecasts" caveat to every post in this thread? It's like saying "I'm reluctant to post a list" then proceeding to rank albums in the Radiohead thread!