Weather 2017

Nobody Interesting

Which year was it when there was perfect blazing sunshine for weeks leading up to the festival, then literally the moment the gates opened, the high pressure broke down and then turned crapper until the Monday and then was hot and blazing again? Was that 2014? It was very annoying at the time! 

12 minutes ago, somecoolusername said:

I weirdly have absolutely no memory of this 2009 Sunday night thunderstorm. But I had just watched my favourite band play one of the all-time great headline sets so I was floating a bit... it was quite a contrast from sweaty Goldsmiths Student Union where I saw them a few nights earlier.

I do remember the Monday was absolutely roasting. It was so hot on the train home.

2013 was pretty ideal. I have a theory that the best festival weather is when you don't remember what the weather was. I remember 2010 because it was (dare I say too) hot, 2011 for the deluge on the Wednesday, which made setting up camp very difficult, but then the redemptive sun coming out for Pulp on the Saturday, 2016 for MUD HELL... but, like, 2013 I have no memory of the weather, apart from basking in the sun in front of the Pyramid one of the days (Sunday?)

So ideal festival weather = you can't really remember what the weather was like.

2013 and 2008 are very underrated weather years

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, quilani said:

Never understood why people don't give 2015 the credit it deserves, it was about as close to perfect as a UK festival can get weather-wise. Sunny and warm virtually all weekend with I think just two periods of rain over the whole weekend (Friday afternoon for a few hours starting during Alabama Shakes and then again overnight/morning when the Dalai Lama did his thing on Sunday). We must have used up all our weather credits that year, cause in '16 it seemed to rain non-stop for the whole month of June.

I'm sure someone with too much spare time could work out the best ever festival for weather using this website: https://www.timeanddate.com/weather/uk/glastonbury/historic?month=6&year=2015 

2010, dont need that website :)

1 hour ago, quilani said:

Never understood why people don't give 2015 the credit it deserves, it was about as close to perfect as a UK festival can get weather-wise. Sunny and warm virtually all weekend with I think just two periods of rain over the whole weekend (Friday afternoon for a few hours starting during Alabama Shakes and then again overnight/morning when the Dalai Lama did his thing on Sunday). We must have used up all our weather credits that year, cause in '16 it seemed to rain non-stop for the whole month of June.

I'm sure someone with too much spare time could work out the best ever festival for weather using this website: https://www.timeanddate.com/weather/uk/glastonbury/historic?month=6&year=2015 

I'm with you all the way. I've only experienced 15 and 16 mind, but if you accept it's going to be difficult to avoid rain for the full 5 days, a heavy downpour on Friday afternoon is about the best day to get it, and the temps for the rest of the time were perfect, not too hot not too cold.

3 hours ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

I'm with you all the way. I've only experienced 15 and 16 mind, but if you accept it's going to be difficult to avoid rain for the full 5 days, a heavy downpour on Friday afternoon is about the best day to get it, and the temps for the rest of the time were perfect, not too hot not too cold.

But why is it difficult to avoid rain for 5 full days? I never understand this. Surely, in normal life we have 5 day straight runs without rain? Do we? Maybe I am wearing rose tinted sunglasses.

19 minutes ago, Larraht said:

But why is it difficult to avoid rain for 5 full days? I never understand this. Surely, in normal life we have 5 day straight runs without rain? Do we? Maybe I am wearing rose tinted sunglasses.

Yeah, it's a fair question. Until a week or two ago I think we must have gone about a month without rain in my bit of London*.

But also it is also more noticeable when you're in a field and exposed to the elements at all times. I mean, you can go in a tent, but you're never really "indoors", so you're probably more aware of the weather. 

When you think about it, 5 straight days doesn't seem like long to go without rain, but the "no rain Glastonbury" remains elusive. 

Also, there are festivals like last year, where we didn't actually have that much rain while we were onsite, but the ground was suffering from the weather in the preceding weeks. 

I think basically there are a lot of complicating factors that come from being in a field, which make rain much more of a hindrance than it is in everyday life. 

*maybe not this long. But there was no rain for so long that I was starting to notice and find it weird. Like 2-3 weeks at least.

5 minutes ago, somecoolusername said:

Yeah, it's a fair question. Until a week or two ago I think we must have gone about a month without rain in my bit of London*.

But also it is also more noticeable when you're in a field and exposed to the elements at all times. I mean, you can go in a tent, but you're never really "indoors", so you're probably more aware of the weather. 

When you think about it, 5 straight days doesn't seem like long to go without rain, but the "no rain Glastonbury" remains elusive. 

Also, there are festivals like last year, where we didn't actually have that much rain while we were onsite, but the ground was suffering from the weather in the preceding weeks. 

I think basically there are a lot of complicating factors that come from being in a field, which make rain much more of a hindrance than it is in everyday life. 

*maybe not this long. But there was no rain for so long that I was starting to notice and find it weird. Like 2-3 weeks at least.

Same down in Plymouth recently. I tend to agree that when you are in a field even the most drizzly of rain feels like bucket loads. To be honest, I think last year did me a huge favour. It was my third Glastonbury after going in 2013 and 2015. Both festivals had rain in parts and I found that to put me on a bit of a downer at times - I suppose the worry of it raining all weekend and unbearable mud etc. Last year, I finally experiences the epic proportions of mud which can be offered and actually had the best year so far. I hope for a beautifully sunny festival this year...but if it isn't (which it will be) I know a decent attitude about it can conquer all.

Weirdly enough I found 2010 one of the hardest years to come to terms with. Finally we had the weather hoped for, lots of sun. And then the awkward realisation that exposure to sun all day plus the heat was almost as knackering and debilitating as a fairly muddy site.

Yes you can sit on dry grass everywhere but you're still usually in the roasting sun. Compared with the crowds there is only limited shade on site. Best thing we found that year was a fresh lemonade stand which served it with LOTS of ice.

Light fluffy clouds are the way forward.