Comedy/Cabaret

Chipbarm

Barbara Nice would be perfect. So much fun. Normally spend loads of time in here, but think I only made it once last year. Was always round the area, not sure why I didn't end up in there as much. Will have to rectify this year.

1 hour ago, naughtygeorgie said:

Jim Jefferies...is that the Ozzie? I'd so yes, he is flipping ace, think he was in a sitcom recently, with DJ Squalls, who was his disabled brother...very dark but that's my kind of comedy! I'll have a route around see if I can find the title.

Edit: Qualls not Squalls God damn auto correct!

Legit

30 minutes ago, Hotchilidog said:

Phill Jupitus has confirmed. He's a got a new stand up show for this year, but i hope he does the poetry tent too. Fairly sure he'l end up on the improv shows too.

Oh that's good. He wasn't at the festival last year was he? Remember finding that a bit weird,  even outside of the comedy stuff he's often found MCing the Leftfield tent.

2 minutes ago, DeanoL said:

Legit

Oh that's good. He wasn't at the festival last year was he? Remember finding that a bit weird,  even outside of the comedy stuff he's often found MCing the Leftfield tent.

No he wasn't, he was still touring in the theatre at the time. Will be interesting to see what his return to stand up will be like.

3 hours ago, naughtygeorgie said:

Jim Jefferies...is that the Ozzie? I'd so yes, he is flipping ace, think he was in a sitcom recently, with DJ Squalls, who was his disabled brother...very dark but that's my kind of comedy! I'll have a route around see if I can find the title.

Edit: Qualls not Squalls God damn auto correct!

Yea please do....i got t say Hi when he played down here nice old son 

3 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Pity about all the misogyny in his act.

He's mellowed a bit now that he's married with kids though. But yeah, you're right, it was there, he just managed to make it really, really funny. And it's not like he was playing a character either.

Yeah....I've not seen him for years, now, and the last time I saw him he'd improved on that score.  It wasn't really my thing, but technically accomplished all the same.  But some of his earlier work was a bit tough to defend.

Tony Law's horrified routine about the types of things that Jeffries was saying, however, remains one of the funniest things I've ever seen.

4 hours ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Good question, to which I don't really have an answer.  I think it evolved in slightly different form into his "Banter!" routine, which was in whichever show it was that got him nominated for the Edinburgh Comedy Award a few years back.  The one with the elephants.

There was a bit in that same show  (the one with Banter and elephants) where he has a (brief) pop at Jeffries and also Frankie Boyle, when he's playing the steel drum.

8 hours ago, naughtygeorgie said:

DeanoL posted above, it's called"Legit" if the please do was referring to title info , if the please do was referring to him playing glasto then I can't help hehehe...

Glad he was nice when you met him ...always a bonus when the famouses are pleasant:)

I concur mind you we don't get to meet many do we and a good job really.. Especially for someone like me cos I'd probably be pissed and make a fool of myself lol.. 

My son book's bands down here and I did met  Pete Doherty once when I gave him a Amy Winehouse clock.. I helped myself to a massive bottle of champagne after he had pulled the Cork just missing me lol.. Bloody  great bloke bloody tall as well but really well spoken even though he was hammered.. 

1017091_566749756711360_1282095640_n.jpg

You've given me a flashback. 

I have a story about meeting Babyshambles (I think it was. It may have been The Libertines but the timing seems wrong).

It is far from a funny story and has no place in a comedy thread.

Remind me and I'll tell you at the meet if I'm coherent enough.

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Mardy said:

There was a bit in that same show  (the one with Banter and elephants) where he has a (brief) pop at Jeffries and also Frankie Boyle, when he's playing the steel drum.

Also one of the funniest things I've ever seen - made more poignant when performed next to the oil painting of Frankie Boyle that they have on the wall in The Stand.

• 4 years later...

Sorry to revive an ancient thread, but couldn't see a more recent one - just wondered if any of you comedy fans have ever been to Machynlleth Comedy Festival? I've just bought tickets on an absolute whim and am excited. Would love to hear from someone who's been (started a thread over in UK Festivals, but I know that area doesn't get a ton of traffic).

On 3/9/2017 at 11:13 AM, Brave Sir Robin said:

Very much this. Or, probably even more unlikely, Stewart Lee. His 'Glastonbury diary' article for Vox in '95 is a great read: http://www.fistoffun.net/downloads/1995-vox_magazine-stewart_lee-glastonbury_diary.pdf

This was a great read. Wonder how he'd feel about the 'list of sexiest people' nowadays?

On 3/9/2017 at 11:13 AM, Brave Sir Robin said:

Very much this. Or, probably even more unlikely, Stewart Lee. His 'Glastonbury diary' article for Vox in '95 is a great read: http://www.fistoffun.net/downloads/1995-vox_magazine-stewart_lee-glastonbury_diary.pdf

On 1/11/2022 at 11:13 AM, blutarsky said:

This was a great read. Wonder how he'd feel about the 'list of sexiest people' nowadays?

Really enjoyed that. Surprised I hadn't seen it before, especially as the post is almost five years old.

Was my first in 1995.

"There's only one act that can storm a post-midnight cabaret stoner crowd, and it's Woody Bop Murray's Vinyl Graveyard".

Indeed.