Comedy/Cabaret

Chipbarm

13 minutes ago, DeanoL said:

No idea if it's apocryphal or not, but heard a story about Malcolm coming on stage at Glastonbury naked then having the lights dropped down and his balls were painted with fluorescent blue glow in the dark paint. At which point people slowly notice that three girls in the front row just happen to have fluorescent blue glow in the dark lipstick on...

I reckon that's probably true. I saw Malcolm do the balloon dance in a number of different ways over the years.

Just now, eFestivals said:

ahhh, another of my old Glasto favs.

I have a feeling he became unwelcome at Glasto because of something or other, tho I might be completely wrong about that.

You're right, I've heard him mention as much in interviews.

Last time he played there, I saw him and he was completely off his face, to the point that he kept losing his place in his set, going back, repeating himself, like a stuck tape recorder. Massively overran, jumped off the stage and very nearly broke his jaw on the safety railing, and eventually the stage manager had to physically remove him. I don't know for sure that's why they don't book him any more but it's a fair guess!

3 minutes ago, DeanoL said:

You're right, I've heard him mention as much in interviews.

Last time he played there, I saw him and he was completely off his face, to the point that he kept losing his place in his set, going back, repeating himself, like a stuck tape recorder. Massively overran, jumped off the stage and very nearly broke his jaw on the safety railing, and eventually the stage manager had to physically remove him. I don't know for sure that's why they don't book him any more but it's a fair guess!

:lol:

Which reminds me of Brendan Burns and the show he did when he was on mushrooms ... which went on to seriously fuck his head up, if i'm remembering rightly.

1 minute ago, eFestivals said:

Which reminds me of Brendan Burns and the show he did when he was on mushrooms ... which went on to seriously fuck his head up, if i'm remembering rightly.

Him and the entire audience who he had handed out mushrooms to during the previous act. It was an attempt to prove the existence of god and ended up with him in rehab. There was an entire trilogy of shows about the whole thing, the second relating the Glastonbury incident in some detail - you can currently get downloads of that and everything he's ever done from his Indiegogo campaign for £20 https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/race-off-live#/

His new show about racism in Australia is brilliant too.

2 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Isn't Ian Cognito is pretty much persona non grata most places where they stage live comedy?  I think hes got a bit of a rep.

He's banned from more comedy clubs than any other comic, though to be fair that's mostly because he used to walk on stage with a hammer and a nail, hammer the nail into the back of the stage, then hang his jacket on it.

7 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Isn't Ian Cognito is pretty much persona non grata most places where they stage live comedy?  I think hes got a bit of a rep.

part of his act many years ago was him explaining why you'll never see him on TV - by telling the story of the one and only time he was on TV.

I can't remember anything of the details of that story now tho. :(

I hope he's still as uncompromising as he used to be. All power to him.

23 minutes ago, DeanoL said:

Him and the entire audience who he had handed out mushrooms to during the previous act. It was an attempt to prove the existence of god and ended up with him in rehab. There was an entire trilogy of shows about the whole thing, the second relating the Glastonbury incident in some detail - you can currently get downloads of that and everything he's ever done from his Indiegogo campaign for £20 https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/race-off-live#/

His new show about racism in Australia is brilliant too.

yeah i saw that in London a few months ago. Was ace! 

I suspect the mushrooms incident was a big reason why he is sober now

17 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

part of his act many years ago was him explaining why you'll never see him on TV - by telling the story of the one and only time he was on TV.

I can't remember anything of the details of that story now tho. :(

I hope he's still as uncompromising as he used to be. All power to him.

i saw him at the Reading festival years ago.

Really didnt go down all that well...

1 hour ago, BlackHole2006 said:

Probably a given, but I would love to see Frank Sinazi given a later time slot, after the headliners have finished. Managed to catch a bit of him in Mavericks and what I saw had me howling with laughter. 

Definitely not for the easily offended. 

Assuming he's back, he's top of my non-music list this year.

5 hours ago, BlackHole2006 said:

Probably a given, but I would love to see Frank Sinazi given a later time slot, after the headliners have finished. Managed to catch a bit of him in Mavericks and what I saw had me howling with laughter. 

Definitely not for the easily offended. 

This guy wandered on stage last year and I had absolutely no idea what hit me. One of the most memorable things of my festival. I wandered in there on my own and had one of the most enjoyable 10 minutes of my fest. I do hope he's back, I'll bring a crowd!

8 hours ago, eFestivals said:

Think his head was already seriously fucked up by that point, the mushrooms just finished the job.

I saw him for the first time the year before that show, no idea who he was.Thought he was brilliant. Then saw him the year of the mushroom/breakdown show and was genuinely worried for him. Seem to remember he'd split up with the mother of his son and was phoning her from the stage. Then he tried climbing the tent, whatever you call them, not poles. Must be a different name for them. Supports. Anyway that went as well as phoning his ex. I then missed the next few but my first one back, he was on again. Think it might have been his first back too. Sober by that point (me too as it happens) and he talked about that show. Seemed like half the tent had been there too. Was a great show, but also just a relief to see he was OK

22 hours ago, Memory Man said:

I would definitely echo the just turn up and see whats on thing. The standard on cabaret is pretty high and also sensation seekers is frequently decent. There was this mad irish bloke on a little more sensation who was brilliant, we then saw him later watching PJ Harvey and had a word, it was brilliant. I've very much forgotten his name though!

I found this guy, he is called Paul Currie

http://www.mrpaulcurrie.com/

Recommended!

Oh yes. I probably spend more time at The Cabaret Tent than any other stage/venue.

As others have said, a great place to chill and sit down (usually (and roll some smokes if windy)).

It always used to open on the Friday with a drumming act a la Stomp type thing. Just right to wake you up and start it off.

I think I've seen the balloon dance twice (though one may have been in the old Leftfield tent). In fact, thinking about it, Leftfield used to get a lot of good comedy acts. Saw Mark Thomas and Ed Byrne own it there.

A particular memory from The Cabaret is Jim Jeffries one year, doing an anecdote about how he was in Amsterdam one time, and how they have sex shops there that are the size of a Tesco store, and a story about love eggs shattering in an arse, and then him realising that it was pre teatime in the afternoon and that there were loads of kids in the audience.

He recovered well by blaming the parents :P

I'll see you there.