2018 Festival - Glastonbury replacement

ShakeyCrash

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

16 hours ago, MACDrob said:

The thing I don't understand about Primavera is how is it all spaced out, can you still see bands like at a regular festival or does it take more specific planning like the Great Escape as an example. Can you see everything you want to see easily is what I'm basically saying.

Yeah all the stages are next to eachother. One thing I would say is only go if you like the line up, as there is nothing to do there expect watch the bands. There's no nightlife or anything. The music goes on until about 6am, but if there's nothing you want to see you'll get yourself bored easily sitting around. I'd say go to Porto rather than Barcelona as well, unless you really like the headliners, nicer vibe, set up and crowd. 

8 hours ago, mrlibertinedream said:

Truck Festival for me, there's no camping/arena devide like at most festivals, looking forward to seeing The Libertines, Jagwa Ma, British Sea Power, The Vaccines and Franz Ferdinand this year

Sorry to say but think you are in for a disappointment this year

http://www.truckfestival.com/new-alcohol-regulations/

A pretty shitty thing to announce after you have sold out!

10 minutes ago, blackred said:

Sorry to say but think you are in for a disappointment this year

http://www.truckfestival.com/new-alcohol-regulations/

A pretty shitty thing to announce after you have sold out!

I agree, I'm off to to truck for the first time. Bought a ticket as a bit of a buffer in case of not getting s Glasto ticket ( which I didn't!), and this was a selling point for me. 

Surely they knee that their licence for this year included this clause and could have advertised it when they started selling tickets! Rubbish!

23 hours ago, jonodillieono said:

Drugs are required for boomtown. It's mental, a lot more wild than the SE corner imo.

There's not really any music like sasha there, its more dnb/dancehall and other less mainstream dance genres. Hardly any of the mainstream stuff like house/techno. Presumably to keep the dickheads away as they don't want it yo be that type of fest

I wouldn't say Sasha is mainstream to be honest but drugs being required was my feeling as they will give you a feel that alcohol won't.

8 hours ago, Chinaski_ said:

Yeah all the stages are next to eachother. One thing I would say is only go if you like the line up, as there is nothing to do there expect watch the bands. There's no nightlife or anything. The music goes on until about 6am, but if there's nothing you want to see you'll get yourself bored easily sitting around. I'd say go to Porto rather than Barcelona as well, unless you really like the headliners, nicer vibe, set up and crowd. 

If I liked the lineup I would combine with a Barcelona trip and a match ticket but as much as I love Barcelona aside from the football, being a fan it makes sense to go inside of season as getting a ticket for a lower rate game is not hard.

Edited by thewayiam

6 minutes ago, Skoo said:

Can someone tell me what the age range is at Boomtown? Will I feel like an old timer at 33?

You'll be fine at 33. I'm a fair bit older than you and I've been 5 or 6 times.  It is a relatively young festival and a very energetic/full on party. Though I think there are more older punters discovering it.  You sort of need to keep an open mind it can be a messy affair at times but it's a spectacle worth seeing, we always say it's wasted on the young. :D

It is a fantastic festival but it's a party, very little in the way of politics or hippy dippy shit if that's your thang.

Just been scouring the search on here, Deer Shed looks decent. If I can't do NOS I'm tempted to go there, might even try to volunteer there. Never worked at a festival before, but that looks like a good place to start, will be a different view of the festival for sure and probably a fun thing to do. 

1 hour ago, Skoo said:

Can someone tell me what the age range is at Boomtown? Will I feel like an old timer at 33?

Nah, plenty of us past 35, a couple of 42/44 and a few even older too. See quite a few old punks, pretty diverse bunch of folks. 

4 hours ago, Kizzie said:

You'll be fine at 33. I'm a fair bit older than you and I've been 5 or 6 times.  It is a relatively young festival and a very energetic/full on party. Though I think there are more older punters discovering it.  You sort of need to keep an open mind it can be a messy affair at times but it's a spectacle worth seeing, we always say it's wasted on the young. :D

It is a fantastic festival but it's a party, very little in the way of politics or hippy dippy shit if that's your thang.

4 hours ago, jonodillieono said:

Mainly people in their 20s, not that many teenagers at all. You'll be fine

2 hours ago, mandana said:

Nah, plenty of us past 35, a couple of 42/44 and a few even older too. See quite a few old punks, pretty diverse bunch of folks. 

Thanks everyone, certainly one to consider by the sounds of it. 

On 2017-3-8 at 10:01 PM, JoBalls said:

We are undecided between Latitude or going on a nice holiday instead of a festival. By the time we have done tickets, spending money, travel, car parking, etc, I reckon we probably spend near enough £1000 between us so that could pay for a nice trip somewhere. 

I'm definitely going to do Latitude in 2018. I know it's a Middle Class Ocadofest of camping chairs and Guardian readers drinking chilled white wine with Poppy and Orlando, but the lineup always appeals, especially the poetry, comedy etc. And it's a complete pain in the arse to get to Suffolk from the Cotswolds (especially by public transport...) And it's expensive, but I'm hoping I can get a working ticket.

Mr P&P and I are both 40 in 2018, so I suppose we'd better have a Big Holiday as well....aaaaaggghhhh!

15 hours ago, semmtexx said:

Anyone taken young kids (5 & 7) to boomtown? Have taken them to secret garden party no issues. Or is that a bonkers idea? 

I don't have kids myself, but I am not sure I would feel 100% confident recommending boomtown as brilliant place to take them. It can be done of course and there is definitely a well resourced kids/family area, but the main areas do get a bit hectic and messy.

if your kids have been to a load of festivals and can cope well with party folk, I am sure they would manage ok though? have a look at the photo gallery's online. 

Edit, I found this review from festivalkidz about last year! http://www.festivalkidz.com/reviews/boomtown-2016-review/

Edited by mandana
add review link

Got my heart set on Boomtown next year. Been wanting to go for a a few years now. Hopefully it wont clash with a wedding I'm attending next year. It was meant to be in the Philippines but as that 's now the new caliphate it's been cancelled #FuckISIS .It's now been moved to the south of France (date TBC).  

On 28/06/2017 at 1:48 PM, Perks said:

Just looking at that Fusion fest, looks interesting, the ballot is a problem though. What's the beer situation, buy it, or can you take your own? This is one thing all of us have said we want to be able to take our own booze - we've come accustomed to it with Glasto and BT. My pal went to Lowlands last year and loved it, but trying to get beer was hard, queues and stuff, however the legal herb is a massive draw in a foreign fest.

Oops, sorry, didn't see your reply to this - my friends have been before, you can take your own food and drinks in. Very relaxed vibe apparently! The ballot is a little annoying but fair in that you can join the ballot as a group rather than as individuals - your 'group' then gets as many entries into the ballot as there are members of it, so either all of you get tickets, or none do. And you get a few months to pay your ticket balance if you win in the ballot. There's then a second ballot (similar to glasto re-sale) to shift the tickets that aren't paid for after the first ballot.

Also, like glasto, you can leave the site when you like and there's public transport going into the nearest town. So you can go offsite to stock up on booze and take a dip in a nearby lake before returning to the festival :)

On 27/06/2017 at 10:59 PM, Penrhos said:

What about Pinkpop, Bennacassim or Exit?

My Dutch friends keep asking if I fancy NOS, Rock Wercher or Sziget.

If I wasn't so old I'd do Tomorrowland.

I've been to Exit before :) I really enjoyed it, although very different from festivals here as it's only on at night, and the camping area is away from the fortress where they have all the stages. We actually opted to stay in an air bnb as it's dead cheap in Serbia and we didn't fancy camping on a riverbeach and sweltering in tents after leaving the festival site at 8am each morning...

With Exit you also get free tickets to sea dance, their sister festival in Montenegro. So you can make a holiday of it!

Be warned though, if you want to get hold of anything other than alcohol, it's a bit tricky. We managed it but it was a bit of a struggle, haha!