Gorillaz

gmb1992

2 minutes ago, Zacko said:

Can somebody remind me, were Gorillaz originally meant to sub that year? Or were they not playing at all and drafted in?

Honestly can't remember. 

Weren't playing at all, had a month to get their shit together. I think by that point they'd announced their winter arena tour so were probably starting to rehearse for that to get it ready but its kind of fair their show was about half baked. The album came out in March beforehand but them only being on the line-up for a month was a big factor.

Just now, Hugh Jass said:

Had U2 played as they were supposed to in 2010 would Gorillaz have gotten the call in 2011?

Really interesting question that. 

Just looking at other 2011 headliners, I wonder if we would have got Arctics or the Foos instead? Both headlined T in the Park that year. 

That would then mean 2013 wouldn't have had Arctics, and so on and so forth...we're through the looking glass here people!  

2 minutes ago, Zacko said:

Really interesting question that. 

Just looking at other 2011 headliners, I wonder if we would have got Arctics or the Foos instead? Both headlined T in the Park that year. 

That would then mean 2013 wouldn't have had Arctics, and so on and so forth...we're through the looking glass here people!  

Arctics played in 2007 so I doubt they’d have been back so soon. Foos maybe, the fest were after them for a while.

1 hour ago, grilladelphia said:

went up late to see them at Boomtown and it was the most rammo ive ever seen the Lions Den stage, so much so I sacked it off.. slight regret there

I did the opposite, I was right in the mix (see pic) for the set but needed the toilet 40 odd minutes in. I went and then couldn't be bothered with the hassle of getting back to where I was so caught the end of Enter Shikari. 

IMG_20180811_211937649.jpg

Prior to 2010 Gorillaz had performed a literal handful of live dates.  Working out how to "do" the band live, during headline sets at Coachella and Glastonbury, seems crazy in hindsight.

There's a deliberate decision with their setlists to withhold the biggest songs til towards the end (based on Talking Heads' approach to Stop Making Sense, apparently) .  You have to obviously be very good for this approach to pay off.  You can't really afford too many filler tracks, and you need to get any guests on and off stage as efficiently as possible.  As mentioned, they are now a live juggernaut with a fantastic band, but it took almost a decade to get it right.  It's a complex band I can't see them at Glastonbury except as part of a major tour planned a long time in advance.  Could be several years away.  And they won't get to headline the Pyramid again.

I would agree that Demon Days and Plastic Beach are the two best albums.  I would also add that, given the "virtual band" angle, I think the "production" of the live show is arguably a bit uninspired (a big huge screen), and lags behind the likes of U2.

Edited by Johndenis

1 hour ago, Hugh Jass said:

Had U2 played as they were supposed to in 2010 would Gorillaz have gotten the call in 2011?

Nah. At the time I remember thinking it was good timing for Damon as they’d have otherwise never got the call (to headline the Pyramid, anyway). Kind of in that little bit too small to headline/too big to sub position.

1 hour ago, vintagelaureate said:

I did the opposite, I was right in the mix (see pic) for the set but needed the toilet 40 odd minutes in. I went and then couldn't be bothered with the hassle of getting back to where I was so caught the end of Enter Shikari. 

IMG_20180811_211937649.jpg

yeah don't blame you! I did the same and went to see Shikari for some nostalgia vibes, they were pretty good as I remember but I was hammered by that point so who knows

Gorillaz at Glastonbury was an odd one. In its own way brilliant and also a failure. Lots of reasons behind it obviously. 

Seem them since, most recently at Rock Werchter where they nailed it. Give them an Orher Stage gig and they’ll nail it with a partisan crowd. Albarn deserves The redemption. 

Edited by strummer77

1 hour ago, strummer77 said:

Gorillaz at Glastonbury was an odd one. In its own way brilliant and also a failure. Lots of reasons behind it obviously. 

Seem them since, most recently at Rock Werchter where they nailed it. Give them an Orher Stage gig and they’ll nail it with a partisan crowd. Albarn deserves The redemption. 

He was in great form with TGTB&TQ last year...I missed Gorillaz when they played the pyramid though. Was up at the park for Broken Bells and on my way to the pyramid to meet my mates when they texted to say they had all left and gone to see the Bootleg Beatles! Would happily see them on the Other over some of the suggested headliners though...

Gorrilaz at the time of Clint Eastwood were excellent, loved em, by the time they stood in to headline Glastonbury, they were a completely different band with the same name, pretentious, up themselves, incoherent wailing with a parade of guest slots to supposedly keep the audience interested. I left after Bobby Womack did a pointless appearance and tried to catch what was left of Groove Armada

• 7 months later...

The Song Machine stuff is turning out rather well isn't it?  Easily the best work since Plastic Beach.  The recent Blur quote has had a lot of discussion, but the interview it comes from is mainly talking about Gorillaz. Looks like he's going to keep going with song machine, so it's really anyone's guess which of his big projects will be up and running when live music finally gets going again.

https://www.musicweek.com/talent/read/damon-albarn-talks-gorillaz-the-future-of-the-music-biz-and-blur/081142

31 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

The Song Machine stuff is turning out rather well isn't it?  Easily the best work since Plastic Beach.  The recent Blur quote has had a lot of discussion, but the interview it comes from is mainly talking about Gorillaz. Looks like he's going to keep going with song machine, so it's really anyone's guess which of his big projects will be up and running when live music finally gets going again.

https://www.musicweek.com/talent/read/damon-albarn-talks-gorillaz-the-future-of-the-music-biz-and-blur/081142

Really good. It seems like they’ve found their mojo again and the focus seems really refined.

I think as a project Gorillaz really works best operating on the fringe. By the time Humanz came out it was so hyped it seemed like he didn't know where to go with it with all the expectations. Similarly the Glastonbury set suffered a bit because of the expectations on Albarn and him reacting to his set the year before (among other things).

They've been back for a while now, found a groove to work in again, the live shows on YouTube look really great, looking forward to hearing the rest of this Song Machine stuff. I love em but struggled to keep the enthusiasm throughout the entirety of Humanz and The Now Now only really gets plays coz someone bought it me as a gift and I like throwing it on in the summer.