Gorillaz

gmb1992

7 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

Humanz was dire. The Now Now was slightly better but nothing worth writing home about.

I’d completely forgotten The Now Now even existed until I’d just checked to see what their last album was. Do remember it being a bit of an improvement, but also don’t think I ever bothered to give it a second listen. 

2 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

I’d completely forgotten The Now Now even existed until I’d just checked to see what their last album was. Do remember it being a bit of an improvement, but also don’t think I ever bothered to give it a second listen. 

Exactly the same here. I didn’t want to turn it off like Humanz, but I didn’t want to turn it back on again either.

Might not be this year but reckon Damon is much more likely to come back to the farm with Gorillaz than Blur. I imagine he's one to try and right the wrong rather than rehash something he/Blur clearly nailed the first time.

I also quite liked Humanz, but then I saw the Brixton set for £5 on 2017's election night where they had all the special guests from the album. The songs are much better live, albeit completely get why it's not people's cup of tea, to be fair I can't even explain why I have a soft spot for the album.

As others have said, they nailed Boomtown in 2018. Not sure they'll ever top the Pyramid again but would be a great Other headliner.

2 hours ago, kingbadger said:

Might not be this year but reckon Damon is much more likely to come back to the farm with Gorillaz than Blur. I imagine he's one to try and right the wrong rather than rehash something he/Blur clearly nailed the first time.

I also quite liked Humanz, but then I saw the Brixton set for £5 on 2017's election night where they had all the special guests from the album. The songs are much better live, albeit completely get why it's not people's cup of tea, to be fair I can't even explain why I have a soft spot for the album.

As others have said, they nailed Boomtown in 2018. Not sure they'll ever top the Pyramid again but would be a great Other headliner.

I was at that Brixton gig too. A really good night. 

Someone bought me The Now Now so I give it a spin every now and then, it's a half decent summer record. Seems they'll never match the output of the first 3, I'd like to see them back though. I actually loved that performance though to be fair, I get that a lot of the criticism was fair but I only heard the criticism when I got back and logged on here really. There's plenty of footage of them slaying festivals on YouTube. Here's one now

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Wooderson said:

Hm. Grillaz.

Last two records pish. Demon Days a flawless meisterwerk. Plastic Beach a grower not a show-er. 2010 show the most underated of the decade. Snoop cameo an all-time Glasters moment

/Fin.

That was pure class. Damon on the melodica (?) absolutely going for it too.

On 1/25/2020 at 9:09 AM, MEGABOWL said:

Their 2010 set went under a bit. It’s excruciating watching Albarn trying to get a singalong going during Pirate Jet. Can’t imagine he would would want to put himself through that again. 

I just watched this on YouTube. The crowd do their best bless them. It's like an experiment with the test being how weak can a song be before a Glastonbury crowd struggle to sing along. 

I’m sticking up for Humanz. Was listening to the Song Exploder podcast episode about Andromeda earlier in the week and that inspired me to give it a spin again. Uchis, Push, Danny Brown, Vince Staples and Grace Jones are all ace on it, it’s probably just a bit too long. Not as good as DD and PB but better than the first album.

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, Badlands said:

I’m sticking up for Humanz. Was listening to the Song Exploder podcast episode about Andromeda earlier in the week and that inspired me to give it a spin again. Uchis, Push, Danny Brown, Vince Staples and Grace Jones are all ace on it, it’s probably just a bit too long. Not as good as DD and PB but better than the first album.

Yeah, that episode of Song Exploder really enhanced Andromeda for me, knowing how much love was behind it.

• Like 1

On 1/25/2020 at 1:55 PM, kingbadger said:

+1 for that 2017 Brixton gig which was a really great night all round. 

There seems to be a surprising consensus around the ranking of these albums, it seems to be:

1. Demon Days
  2. Plastic Beach
  3. Gorillaz

Big gap

4. The Now Now
5. Humanz

With The Fall off to the side somewhere.  I think some might swap 3+2 or 4+5, but is that pretty much everyone's list?  It's certainly mine.

9. Pablo Honey

On 1/25/2020 at 8:37 AM, Sasperella said:

Doesn't one of their headline sets get a lot of shit on here? I thought they were ace at Boomtown in 2018. 

That Boomtown slot was 100 times better than Glastonbury 2010. 

As mentioned they went heavy on the cameos for Glastonbury but it meant that there were big gaps between songs getting the right people on and off stage and it seemed to lack any kind of flow. 

13 minutes ago, Tommy101 said:

That Boomtown slot was 100 times better than Glastonbury 2010. 

As mentioned they went heavy on the cameos for Glastonbury but it meant that there were big gaps between songs getting the right people on and off stage and it seemed to lack any kind of flow. 

went up late to see them at Boomtown and it was the most rammo ive ever seen the Lions Den stage, so much so I sacked it off.. slight regret there