Gorillaz

gmb1992

• 1 year later...

Posted over in the OS thread but thought might as well put here as well. New track incoming on the 30th of this month featuring Slowthai and Slaves. Not sure if this means they’re gearing up an album and tour again, but if so I think they must be a good contender for one of our missing Other headliners, namely the Sunday. Ten years since they headlined (fits Emily’s comment), and Damon obviously loves the place.

16 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

Posted over in the OS thread but thought might as well put here as well. New track incoming on the 30th of this month featuring Slowthai and Slaves. Not sure if this means they’re gearing up an album and tour again, but if so I think they must be a good contender for one of our missing Other headliners, namely the Sunday. Ten years since they headlined (fits Emily’s comment), and Damon obviously loves the place.

Doesn't one of their headline sets get a lot of shit on here? I thought they were ace at Boomtown in 2018. 

7 minutes ago, Sasperella said:

Doesn't one of their headline sets get a lot of shit on here? I thought they were ace at Boomtown in 2018. 

Yeah, they were a late stand in for U2, and Damon obviously knew he had to put on a real show (especially after having been there with Blur the following year) and packed the set with all the special guests from their newest album, but alas it was all a bit thrown together and that new album wasn’t exactly packed full of bangers. Picked up right at the end when they played their more well known songs, but overall I found it pretty damn underwhelming, as did a lot of people.

Not that that would stop him bringing them back to Glastonbury. In fact I’m sure he’d jump at the chance for a second shot. 

3 minutes ago, MEGABOWL said:

Their 2010 set went under a bit. It’s excruciating watching Albarn trying to get a singalong going during Pirate Jet. Can’t imagine he would would want to put himself through that again. 

Big difference headlining the Pyramid to headlining Other. Pyramid crowds are packed full of people just there for the hell of it and waiting to be entertained. Other crowds are full of people actually wanting to see the act on stage. Doubt they’d have close to the same problems, plus they’d be considerably more rehearsed and not a late stand in. 

10 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

I thought Damon was touring some other project April/May this year? I’d be surprised to see him bounce straight from that into Gorillaz again.

Last time they took to the stage under prepared and under rehearsed...

Looks like he's touring that up until mid June. Would be very tight to go from that to rehearsing and playing with Gorillaz at the end of June but I suppose if anyone's going to do that it's him.

34 minutes ago, MEGABOWL said:

Their 2010 set went under a bit. It’s excruciating watching Albarn trying to get a singalong going during Pirate Jet. Can’t imagine he would would want to put himself through that again. 

He's done lots of successful gigs with the band since, where he didn't try to get a singsong going with a slow track from brand new album. And the crowd will be better at Other anyway.

I loved the 2010 gig, I'd had Plastic Beach on repeat since it came out and Demon Days was my favourite record of that decade. I didn't get about lack of engagement with the crowd, I was there for the music.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

He's done lots of successful gigs with the band since, where he didn't try to get a singsong going with a slow track from brand new album. And the crowd will be better at Other anyway.

I loved the 2010 gig, I'd had Plastic Beach on repeat since it came out and Demon Days was my favourite record of that decade. I didn't get about lack of engagement with the crowd, I was there for the music.

I enjoyed watching it on the TV after (was at Flaming Lips) and he threw the kitchen sink at it but it did seem to fall flat with the crowd.  And in terms of being a big headliner you need either crowd interaction or a load of big hits (or both). I agree with you and @FloorFiller, an Other set would suit them better. But when he can play the Big G with so many of his other projects, or if he really wants to, headline again with Blur, he'd really have to be in a 'ripping plasters off' kind of mood to retread that ground.

11 minutes ago, Comfy Bean said:

To be fair, the Thatcher thing would probably happen 😞 

I'm having a really bad day here, coming home on a recovery vehicle. This doesn't help my cells. I'm worried I'm gonna get home to the news revealing Thatcher has been resurrected. Shit I'm gonna need a drink. 😉

Anyhow the gorrilaz put on a good show at boomtown and I'd be there with bells on. 

If I was going.😥

FFS. I'm definitely going for a pint. 😜

It's not like he doesn't know how to engage with a crowd, he was going this kind of austere, art presentation and it didn't connect. The more recent gigs have been nothing like that.

But I agree, it doesn't look likely. It's not like Gorillas are a band like Blur or Radiohead that are halfway to being gig ready by virtue of being in the studio - a Gorillaz tune can just be Damon and a random collaborator on an iPad. They're not coming back this year.

1 hour ago, dentalplan said:

From that post, I would guess that he's not doing festivals with this project if he's 'celebrating Roskilde Festival' in a theatre in Copenhagen rather than at Roskilde Festival.

Is he “celebrating Roskilde” in all the other places he’s playing?

Given his history and relationship with the festival I find it incomprehensible that he won’t show up somewhere in some capacity. Whether that’s guesting with someone else or bringing a project of his own. Given that he’s touring the Icelandic fountain thing it seems the most likely rather than dusting off Gorillaz or Blur at short notice.

21 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

Is he “celebrating Roskilde” in all the other places he’s playing?

Given his history and relationship with the festival I find it incomprehensible that he won’t show up somewhere in some capacity. Whether that’s guesting with someone else or bringing a project of his own. Given that he’s touring the Icelandic fountain thing it seems the most likely rather than dusting off Gorillaz or Blur at short notice.

No, of course he isn't, but he's only playing concert halls with that project so far. And he is 'celebrating' Roskilde - a festival he appears at more often than he does Glastonbury - in Copenhagen.