Gorillaz

gmb1992

On 3/8/2017 at 10:08 AM, Wooderson said:

Just for some customary balance from all the whining...

All the sods that missed Blur the previous year got their chance to have a go didnt they?? Something they relish to this day. :D

So 1000's left after a couple tunes grumbling "This is shite!" to themselves. :thumbsu: Arsed.

Damon did feel imperious as a result of the triumph of '09 and thus o'ereached considerably at times on the night. It could never compare to the previous year and I think this is the basis of most of the ire on here and elsewhere about this show. But on its own merits (bar the whale song SNAFU) the gig was as unique a show as we've seen at the festival.

Those that were there for this know how it kicked off. I was miles back but people around me went seven shades of apeshit. As high a peak as any I can remember from the 20 or so Pyramid headliners ive seen.

totally agree - didn't really enjoy the show but when snoop walked back out the whole field erupted. It still gives me goosebumps to watch the vid on youtube.

On 08/03/2017 at 10:08 AM, Wooderson said:

Just for some customary balance from all the whining...

All the sods that missed Blur the previous year got their chance to have a go didnt they?? Something they relish to this day. :D

So 1000's left after a couple tunes grumbling "This is shite!" to themselves. :thumbsu: Arsed.

Damon did feel imperious as a result of the triumph of '09 and thus o'ereached considerably at times on the night. It could never compare to the previous year and I think this is the basis of most of the ire on here and elsewhere about this show. But on its own merits (bar the whale song SNAFU) the gig was as unique a show as we've seen at the festival.

Those that were there for this know how it kicked off. I was miles back but people around me went seven shades of apeshit. As high a peak as any I can remember from the 20 or so Pyramid headliners ive seen.

I stood in awe at that too.

And then we got Stylo.......

• 2 weeks later...

Perhaps the festivals most misunderstood act, I think.  The new music is sounding like the best stuff yet, more strangely pschedelic and funky than ever before with a hell of a list of contributors and an interstellar theme, I really look forward to hearing/seeing the new concept in it's entirety with a few μg.  Jamie Hewlett's mixture of 2d and 3d animation is just getting better with every iteration.

• Upvote 1

I love gorillaz, their debut is an incredible underground debut, the following 2 insanely good (time has proven Demon Days to be the better of the 2) and I'm excited about the new album. I don't really get why, after so much secrecy, they've thrown out 4 tracks at once. I get the timing of hallelujah money a couple of months ago, but surely one song with the album announcement would have  enough with it being a month away? I like the new songs but I'm hoping they work better as part of a body of work (like when they released superfast jellyfish I didn't like it but enjoy it when playing through the album now).

I think in the last decade the best way of doing this was Kendrick releasing 1 song, performing various songs (some that didn't even make it on the album) before just dropping it when the hype was there. Then on the album he had a (superior) live version on the album. Probably some bias as TPAB is one of my favorite albums ever...

They didn't meet the audience' expectations when they headlined, for sure, but I don't think that they were bad as such, it was more that the disjointed nature of the performance, the lack of participation with the audience and the choice of material for the show left the audience confused.

It would be great if they could return, but not to headline the pyramid stage like that.

Fucking hell, try and do the festival a favour and it's still being moaned about, it was 7 years ago! There were plenty of others stages you could have moved to instead of moaning about it then, after the festival, and seven years hence. Jesus! 

For the record they weren't bad, I enjoyed it immensely but then I didn't go expecting U2 or Blur 2009 and had actually listed to Plastic Beach. The only thing that spoilt it was the audible moaning. 

• Upvote 2

I would love to see them at the festival, if I'm honest. I'd jump at the chance of seeing them headlining any stage against Ed Sheeran on Sunday. JP would be great, being a tent. Other would be suited to them... Maybe West Holts is the sort of stage to cater to their music?

I personally think it would be really god, and people should get off their back for the 2010 gig. They did a decent job, all things considered. If they were booked for months, maybe it'd be fair to call them a stinker, but they had a matter of weeks to prepare it... Think of how much stage creation and contact with guests it took to get that show together!

Plus, the new tracks are pretty good. I love Saturnz Barz!

• Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, K2SO said:

I would love to see them at the festival, if I'm honest. I'd jump at the chance of seeing them headlining any stage against Ed Sheeran on Sunday. JP would be great, being a tent. Other would be suited to them... Maybe West Holts is the sort of stage to cater to their music?

I personally think it would be really god, and people should get off their back for the 2010 gig. They did a decent job, all things considered. If they were booked for months, maybe it'd be fair to call them a stinker, but they had a matter of weeks to prepare it... Think of how much stage creation and contact with guests it took to get that show together!

Plus, the new tracks are pretty good. I love Saturnz Barz!

they were fucking  incredible on Friday playing to a tiny crowd myself included  so they could definitely spring up on another stage for secret show  like park stage as it's 10 birthday 

thing everyone needs to drop what happened almost 7 years ago, they're not a mass appeal band and it was a mistake to have them on the main stage trying to hit all demographics 

42 minutes ago, Wooderson said:

I know the proprietor of these parts has a dislike for it, but Demon Days (for example) is a modern classic with huge broad appeal. 

We've had seven more years of young people getting into Gorillaz music, as dental said the other day they seem to be more popular than Blur in that demographic.

On 3/7/2017 at 0:46 PM, priest17 said:

I thought they did well with only a months notice

Uh? Only a few months notice? A decent band shouldn't need more than a few days notice. I get that Gorillaz are a bit different with all the video and the special guests but if you've got good tunes and you're not out of practice performing them then the notice period is no excuse really. And I say all of this as a big fan of the band, they are probably my biggest disappointment ever at the festival.

I stayed for the entirety of the Glasto set, including the god awful bit with the Lebanese blokes banging about, and would say that the last 10 minutes was pretty good and by that point you could pretty much walk up to the front if you wanted too, I always think of Damon seeming to plead with the crowd at one point, i think he knew it had gone a bit bit tits up.

I still think they'd make an absolutely cracking sub though, shorter time, play the hits without the extended intros and you've got a really memorable set.