Subheadliners 2017

Matt42

So it seems like we've gone from having too many subheadliners to now scraping the bottom of the barrel to predict some!

We're not long from knowing ourselves so I guess it would be good to collect our thoughts (because i've struggled to keep track ngl)

Very Likely:

The XX - I think they are pretty much certain to nab a pyramid sub slot, providing they aren't rebooked for Other Stage... but I can't see that happening. So really it's just a guessing game for the other two.

Potentials:

Elbow - I know they aren't really relevant at all, however they are an easy go to for Glasto for a pyramid sub, and they are now SR on the rumour page, either they will drop in lineup placement or be rebooked in their standard slot.
The Weeknd - I'm starting to warm to the idea of the Weeknd subbing, considering he's not an exclusive to wireless and theres no other UK festivals thus far. I also think this is a good time to get him as his latest album is huuuuge and incredibly relevant. Plus, he has unfinished business with the festival after pulling out unexplained in 2013.

Outside options:

Kasier  Chiefs - I don't consider this possible at all but you lot seem to be more open to it. It could be a Primal Scream before Rolling Stones situation, but I can't see Foo Fighters being as demanding as the stones.
Lady Gaga - I don't think this is happening anymore, she's having a pretty huge year and I still think she could outright headline the festival sometime in the future. If they've got her as a sub fair play... but I don't think it's happening, especially since Glastonbury has never bagged a subheadlner that strong in all its history!
Imagine Dragons - Just one i'm throwing out there... they seem to be a subheadliner at pretty much every worldwide festival going! They are a massive band, and would be a pretty good warmup act for the Foo Fighters. However, I am aware that just because they've subbed R&L doesn't necessarily mean they will sub Glasto

Overall I am pretty set on The XX, Elbow and The Weeknd (in that order)... but I reckon i'm going to be wrong and there's a surprise yet to come.

Thoughts? Have you missed Matt 42 posts like this :D

Sun is shining in London and I'm getting excited for the summer! B)

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just now, FloorFiller said:

The xx, Lady Gaga, The Weeknd is my current prediction. Refuse to believe Elbow are gonna do it a-fucking-gain, and refuse to buy in to Kaisers doing it as that's just ridiculous. 

And threads like this by Matt are truly an indicator that the lineup is almost here ;) 

It's so shit but if those comments on the Elbow thread are to believed.. tis happening

I think Elbow will be the other stage openers.

The XX are nailed on I agree. Hard to say who the others will be? Don't think The Weekend warrants a sub slot and neither do Kaisers.

Emily did say that the line up is bigger than previous years so that seems to confirm a big name like Lady Gaga.

2 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

The xx, Lady Gaga, The Weeknd is my current prediction. Refuse to believe Elbow are gonna do it a-fucking-gain, and refuse to buy in to Kaisers doing it as that's just ridiculous. 

And threads like this by Matt are truly an indicator that the lineup is almost here ;) 

I'm inclined to agree with Matt, those three as subs just seem far too big. Has there ever been a stronger set of subs?

Just now, Matt42 said:

It's so shit but if those comments on the Elbow thread are to believed.. tis happening

Like above, I think Elbow are gonna open Other. Quite a bit bigger than those that have come before, but fuck it, it's the last one before the fallow year, and them being booked so high up AGAIN would just be poor.

1 minute ago, Wakey321 said:

Don't think The Weekend warrants a sub slot 

He's headlining festivals across the world, headlining Wireless, and released on the biggest albums of the year so far - got a #1 am i right?

He's a contemporary act and he's definitely big enough to sub. He'l absolutely pack that field

Just now, mjsell said:

I still think Alt J could sub Foos. Just seems too weird a clash to have them on Other at the same time imo.

Yeah they are an odd booking - the announcement of their new material has garnered a lot of press.

Going from 3rd to Other stage headliner feels like a bit of a step down to me... especially when they are getting bigger.

5 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

Like above, I think Elbow are gonna open Other. Quite a bit bigger than those that have come before, but fuck it, it's the last one before the fallow year, and them being booked so high up AGAIN would just be poor.

Yeah I just can't believe the Gaga rumour when there's been no booking comparable at all! Amazing if true but I reckon its the radiohead rumour of 2017

If that makes sense lol

Just now, mjsell said:

I still think Alt J could sub Foos. Just seems too weird a clash to have them on Other at the same time imo.

Why? They're totally different acts/types of music. As similar as Coldplay and LCD Soundsystem or tons of other Pyramid/Other combos that have come before.

5 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

I thought Wireless Twitter or something announced The Weeknd as an exclusive?, but if not then that trio is defo plausible. I want Gaga on the Saturday as Sunday would probably make a clash and she fits much better with how Glasto try to plan crowd movement on Saturday.

2 minutes ago, mjsell said:

I'm inclined to agree with Matt, those three as subs just seem far too big. Has there ever been a stronger set of subs?

By the same token, has there ever been a bigger set of headliners?, in the UK 2013 was probably bigger but on a worldwide scale all of this years would headline any festival or venue int he world whereas Arctics weren't close to it then and are still not there yet and not even Coachella have gone for Mumford & Sons. U2, Coldplay and Beyonce pushing it close and if you think that in that year if the usual in Price had played then Beyonce a comfortable huge arena tour artist by then was going to be a sub then it's not much different, that also happened to be the year before the fallow.

1 minute ago, FloorFiller said:

If people see them as a JP headliner now I wouldn't say they are too big for it, I would say I may have to think about my camping spot and change as no chance I'm moving early enough to avoid the stage by 11am or waking up to listen that for an hour.

3 minutes ago, swede said:

Gaga has hinted she's playing, and she's not headlining so she's def subbing 

People saying she's too big need to remember she was going to fly in last year just to play with Ronson in Shangri la 

Maybe she's planning to do that again, and that's what she's hinting at?

12 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

He's headlining festivals across the world, headlining Wireless, and released on the biggest albums of the year so far - got a #1 am i right?

He's a contemporary act and he's definitely big enough to sub. He'l absolutely pack that field

But as we discussed yesterday, he's gone on record recently saying his music isn't daytime music and I think the option to headline the Other instead would be happily accepted. Disclosure could've easily done the same last year as well but played to their strengths.

1 minute ago, dentalplan said:

Maybe she's planning to do that again, and that's what she's hinting at?

She didn't have a new album to perform from and promote then - she does now. It might be what she was hinting at but I think it's far more likely that she'd wanna give the BBC audience a taste of her tour later in the year than play to 50 people at 4am.

Yeah i definitely think Gaga's response to the Glastonbury question has been way too overanalysed and overused as her being all but confirmed. It seemed like a playful off the cuff comment.

I'm not saying I don't believe it at all, and I hope she is there, but it very well could be in another capacity to subbing.

3 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

She didn't have a new album to perform from and promote then - she does now. It might be what she was hinting at but I think it's far more likely that she'd wanna give the BBC audience a taste of her tour later in the year than play to 50 people at 4am.

She has plenty of form for doing small shows for the hell of it though. I think she's played dozens of club shows in London, for the joy of playing rather than promoting stuff. I don't see why her being onsite and performing means she's playing the Pyramid or indeed playing the Pyramid before a headliner. Thems just conclusions whats been jumped to.

1 minute ago, Tuna said:

Pond, Alvvays, Angel Olsen

Alvvays? Keep dreaming. You are BONKERS. And Pond? Don't get me started.

Just now, Ovechkin said:

dark horse.. NGHFB

Noel opening för U2 in july.

Dave and Taylor seems to be big fans of Oasis and the gallaghers too.

Yes I think there's a possibility and Noel is often there backstage. Imagine if they had Liam doing a low slot on the other though and Noel doing a massive sub headline pyramid slot. Not sure if Liam would like that...

1 minute ago, Ovechkin said:

dark horse.. NGHFB

Noel opening för U2 in july.

Dave and Taylor seems to be big fans of Oasis and the gallaghers too.

1 minute ago, DL50 said:

What about Phil Collins as a sub? Could work very well before Radiohead or Foo Fighters (Sorry if he's been ruled out already haven't been following the general efests chat this year)

... well this thread just got very bleak very quickly