Traveling from Ireland (Belfast / Dublin)

AlexChilton

Hi guys,

First time heading to Glastonbury this year, and we are starting to look in to travel options.

We're obviously very excited, however when looking online - options such as coach travel seem quite limited when travelling from Belfast or Dublin.

We've reached out to busestoconcerts as they have ran a coach in the past couple of years sailing from Rosslare, Co. Wexford to Pembroke in Wales. However, as yet they have not replied and no information is online, perhaps its early days?

If anyone on here is making the same journey to the festival and/or has traveled from Ireland in the past, please can you offer any advice on the best way to get there? Whether its flying in to Bristol, or getting a bus - we're just looking for the best options. Also, any companies for coach travel you could recommend would be a great help.

Thanks in advance!

Edited by AlexChilton

we always drive and take the ferry from Dublin to Holyhead. might go from Rosslare this year to break up the journey a bit as it's about 6hrs driving from Holyhead, versus about 4 from Fishguard/Pembroke (plus the 2 from Dublin to Rosslare).

if you don't have access to a car/can't rent one, the most common option seems to be flying to Bristol, then getting the bus from there. if there's a few of you, maybe even get a taxi (or share with others who will be doing the same). you can get your food/alcohol/supplies in Bristol rather than trying to bring everything on the plane.

if you want to cut down on plane baggage even further, you might want to use Camplight, who have tents pitched on-site, so you wouldn't have to bring your own tent.

Edited by ghostdancer1

We always fly to Bristol from Belfast, from there you have a couple of options

Taxi from the airport to the festival -  stop off on route for a carry out

Airbus into Bristol, pick up supplies/drink, then get the train to Castle Cary, and free shuttle to the site from there.

Nowadays we like to travel to Bristol a day early and stay over an extra night before heading home on the Tuesday, its pure heaven to get a shower/toilet and bed before the flight home.

Edited by Janski
worded wrong

Hi I've done it a few different ways, when my other 1/2 comes we drive and have always gone roslare-pembroke, have flown a few times but find it too much hassle we it all the camping gear, last year I meet up with some guys from here they hired a van and we sailed Belfast-Liverpool which worked well. If I'm going on my own by public transport I go for Sail/Rail via dublin to holyhead and then train to Bristol then bus it with national express to the fest. Hope this helps

I'm a 1st timer from Dublin as well this year. We got coach tickets from Birmingham. Flying from Dublin on the Tuesday morning. Will have the whole day in Birmingham to pick up any supplies we need. Staying in Birmingham Tuesday night ( was only £19 for double room in IBIS )  Coach down Wednesday morning. Coach back up Monday and flights home Monday night. I have booked another room in the IBIS for the Monday night as well. Just in case we've a couple of hours to kill before our flight it'll be nice to have somewhere to shower and rest before flying home.

If anyone is driving a van/camper/car from dublin and would be able to bring some cans over for us it would be greatly appreciated. I would of course compensate you for the hassle in drink or cash. Whatever you'd prefer !

Cheers !

On 27/02/2017 at 4:35 PM, Janski said:

Nowadays we like to travel to Bristol a day early and stay over an extra night before heading home on the Tuesday, its pure heaven to get a shower/toilet and bed before the flight home.

Exactly this. Bristol is a lovely city to just meander and have lunch after a nice hot shower at the hotel. Perfect after 5 days on the farm. 

I used to fly to Bristol and take the shuttle bus from there. That was in the days when you didn't have to pay an arm and a leg for bringing luggage. I don't drive and bring three pieces of luggage (backpack, daypack, tent bag) and will then have an additional shopping bag with supplies bought once in England.

For the last ten years or so I have gone on 'Sail and Rail' tickets. It gets you to any train station in the UK, so you could go all the way to Castle Carey, though I go to Bristol, break the journey there and then take the shuttle bus (or if I have lots of time I go to Glastonbury Town, hang around there and take the shuttle bus from there).  It takes a full day to get to Bristol with ferry and train, but you can bring as much luggage as you can carry.

The last two years I have gotten lucky in the coach sale, so I take the Sail and Rail ticket to wherever my coach goes from.

You can get Sail and Rail from Belfast as well as Dublin, but Belfast gets you to Scotland, so Dublin would be handier. Check either Stena Line or Irish Ferries.

Edited by Watergirl