British Sea Power

mickmcmicklemick

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just now, Callum_96 said:

Ive been obsessed with BSP ever since my mates dad gave me The Decline... which has become one of my favourite albums ever. I'm going to the Brum date but the Park for an early evening set would be perfect 

They'd be brilliant on the Park, could almost see them headline, but they're one of the few bands that would almost be better during the day, for some reason.

Their main albums have been more of the same since then. Good, but without more reinvention it's been diminishing returns in my opinion.

Their soundtrack album, Man of Aran, was fantastic.

The brass thing didn't do anything for me.

I've warmed to Open Season a lot more recently. I got bored of the rock stuff, prefer the likes of True Adventures now.

12 minutes ago, Calvin Klein said:

Love them although I gotta say mainly because of their debut album which I still listen to regularly. 

Any chance they play much of their first then?

I've been hoping to see them live since 2003 :D

Last time I saw them they played all of it!

They normally spread their sets about a bit so I'd be surprised if one or two from Decline did not make it in to their set. I'd get to work on the rest of their catalogue it really is very good including their film soundtrack albums.

As much as I love BSP they have always disappointed me at Glasto  - just never seem to do the set list that most people would be wanting at a festival.

Early afternoon in JP ( shocking set choice if I remember ) and headlining Leftfield springs to mind.

Although I was once told that the band had camped at Glasto one year back stage - it had been a wet one and  their tents got flooded and personal stuff got ruined - not sure if that was true or not.

Just remembered they were shocking on the main stage at Leeds one year as well !

I would have to give em a headline slot at The Park not sure what else would work other than Williams Green and they are too big for that.

I don't think they're too big for Wills Green. It'd be full, sure, but a fair amount of similar British acts play there and there's been a few bigger than British Sea and the lads play it before.

I think 1pm Other and WG later would do fine. They could do evening Park instead maybe but I'm not convinced they'd be booked for John Peel Stage nowadays.

Saw them on the Decline anniversary tour at the Roundhouse and that was excellent.

As someone else has said, not followed them closely since Do You Like Rock Music which I can scarcely believe is NEARLY TEN YEARS OLD!!! It feels half that.

I popped in to watch at bit of them at Leeds fest in 2013 when they headlined the Festival Republic stage. No word of a lie, there were 50-100 people in the tent. Clearly the pull of Alt-J and Eminem was way too much for them...

28 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

I don't think they're too big for Wills Green. It'd be full, sure, but a fair amount of similar British acts play there and there's been a few bigger than British Sea and the lads play it before.

I think 1pm Other and WG later would do fine. They could do evening Park instead maybe but I'm not convinced they'd be booked for John Peel Stage nowadays.

Would be happy with WG, but dearly hope they avoid Other. It just doesn't fit BSP for me - or rather they don't fit it. 

Ben

23 minutes ago, briddj said:

Saw them on the Decline anniversary tour at the Roundhouse and that was excellent.

As someone else has said, not followed them closely since Do You Like Rock Music which I can scarcely believe is NEARLY TEN YEARS OLD!!! It feels half that.

I popped in to watch at bit of them at Leeds fest in 2013 when they headlined the Festival Republic stage. No word of a lie, there were 50-100 people in the tent. Clearly the pull of Alt-J and Eminem was way too much for them...

It was about the same when they played Avalon in 2009 IIRC

• 1 month later...

Just saw them at the Trinity in Bristol. Hell of a gig. The encore was amazing. Especially when the polar bear pushed past me :)

I didn't think I'd watch them again at Glasto but it'll take a pretty big clash to miss them now. 

7 minutes ago, t0paz said:

Just saw them at the Trinity in Bristol. Hell of a gig. The encore was amazing. Especially when the polar bear pushed past me :)

I didn't think I'd watch them again at Glasto but it'll take a pretty big clash to miss them now. 

May I trouble you for a setlist preview? I'm off to them tomorrow alongside a friend but I don't know all that much I'm afraid! 

6 minutes ago, pehaw said:

Gutted that Neil has them as playing Other. What a fucking waste.

Saw them at Avalon in 09 (?) and they were outstanding. There again would be great.

I agree about Other. At 2pm too. I'm really, really hoping they double up and do Williams's Green too like Everything Everything did in 2015.

4 minutes ago, briddj said:

I agree about Other. At 2pm too. I'm really, really hoping they double up and do Williams's Green too like Everything Everything did in 2015.

That'd do nicely. EE were amazing in WG but largely forgettable on Other. 

7 hours ago, DownboundTrain52 said:

May I trouble you for a setlist preview? I'm off to them tomorrow alongside a friend but I don't know all that much I'm afraid! 

It was as you'd expect really. A lot off the new album with a smattering of old favourites like Waving Flags. If you've got time then give the new album and Machineries of Joy a listen. They're just a good live band though so I wouldn't worry about knowing the songs too much