FESTAFF

alisonbison

Hello.

We've been accepted to work with Festaff. Wahoo!

I've had a good search round this site. Still not sure of where we are likely to have to camp, does anyone know?

I'm very interested in the crew bar crawl. Sure I read about it somewhere or did I dream it? Does anyone know more?

All in all, I'm really looking forward to it. Don't think I will bother with the resale now. I don't mind working hard or missing bands but I am a bit scared about the night shifts. Being an old hag of 53 I'm not quite sure how I will cope without sleep, but we shall see.

Who else is going with Festaff? I am soooooo excited! 

Assuming things haven't changed from last year, you'll be camped a little way outside Gate B. On the Festival Map, it's the oddly shaped white field just above and to the right of where it says "Blue Gate".

I wouldn't worry too much about shifts. The job with Festaff is wristbanding people on first entry, and the vast bulk arrive on Wednesday and Thursday during the day. You would be be fairly unlucky if you did get an overnight shift or more than one once the main stages had started - not too many people arrive for the first time at 4am or during the last couple bands of the evening so they tend to run a skeleton crew at those times.

1 hour ago, alisonbison said:

Hello.

We've been accepted to work with Festaff. Wahoo!

I've had a good search round this site. Still not sure of where we are likely to have to camp, does anyone know?

I'm very interested in the crew bar crawl. Sure I read about it somewhere or did I dream it? Does anyone know more?

All in all, I'm really looking forward to it. Don't think I will bother with the resale now. I don't mind working hard or missing bands but I am a bit scared about the night shifts. Being an old hag of 53 I'm not quite sure how I will cope without sleep, but we shall see.

Who else is going with Festaff? I am soooooo excited! 

see http://www.efestivals.co.uk/forums/topic/191851-festaff-applications/

and

http://www.efestivals.co.uk/forums/topic/192274-anyone-ever-worked-at-glasto-before/

note the words from incident ' Festaff are in Toms Field, so inside the fence.

Toms Field is a general crew campsite ' Near Gate B ' and ' Medical Centre '

some crew bars you can get into and others you cant 

there is various crew sites dotted about - some have their own catering and some share with lots of other workers.

your normal GFL crew wristband will get you into the interstage area any day ' before the public gates open ' 

5 minutes ago, glasto-worker said:

note the words from incident ' Festaff are in Toms Field, so inside the fence.

Toms Field is a general crew campsite ' Near Gate B ' and ' Medical Centre '

Not anymore, they moved outside the fence last year to the field I mentioned.

Thanks for the replies! 

That looks like a great place to camp. I've been in West Campervan fields for the last couple of years, so I'm used to walking miles to get anywhere.

Will I still need a trolley to transport all my cans of cider from the car, or will I be able to take less and drink more cheaply on site with a crew wristband? I know I am sounding like a raving alcoholic but actually I'm more of a penny pincher!

My impression is that i will be able to use a couple of crew bars onsite: the West Holts one, a Block 9 one.... Any others to add to this list please?

37 minutes ago, mr gumby said:

Tom's Field is recycling crew these days.

I've marked on this map where Festaff were camped in 2015 when I worked for them! Unsure if they changed places 2016. 

edit: didn't see comments above, it appears they've not moved which is a shame.

Glasto.png

Edited by Cieran

6 minutes ago, alisonbison said:

Will I still need a trolley to transport all my cans of cider from the car, or will I be able to take less and drink more cheaply on site with a crew wristband? I know I am sounding like a raving alcoholic but actually I'm more of a penny pincher!

Some of the crew bars are cheaper than public, some aren't. I think the biggest discount I've seen is about £1 a pint but it can vary. The 4 crew bars that I know with confidence will usually accept all crew wristbands are the ones in the Unfairground, Block 9, Shangri-La, and Arcadia - so bear in mind that you may not be near any of those for large parts of the time. There's plenty other staff bars on site but I'm not aware of their current access policies.

It's also worth remembering that none of those are massive so can get busy (full) and if they do they may restrict access and/or prioritise their own crew. On the other hand, some of the above have also been known to "accidentally" let the general public in when it's quiet. Any of this can change year to year of course.

Given that you'll almost certainly be parked in either Purple 1 or 4 a couple fields away from your tent, you won't have much distance to transport stuff and can easily nip back to the car as needed. Arrival on the Monday will be fairly quiet with not much going on so making multiple trips when is much less of an issue than it is for the public. So it's your call really.

Got confirmation on Thurs that my friend and I have been accepted with Festaff for this year. Really excited to be back at the festival in a working capacity after the last couple of years as a punter. I've only sporadically checked in on Efests since missing out on T-Day as I didn't want to get caught up in all the hype for this year's festival when there was no guarantee that I would be able to go and how heartbreaking it would have been. Now that I know I'll definitely be there I can start picking up my excitement levels again. 

Looking forward to having a fun public facing role after previously being on the eviction monitoring team and recycling crew and also looking forward to being on site a few days early again. Nothing beats walking round a deserted Glasto before everyone arrives. 

14 hours ago, SophusBeuford said:

I've also been accepted by Festaff! Will be going solo but so excited, although not sure what to expect from the shifts etc. Also unsure about whether to take public transport or not 

19 hours ago, Often Smashing Pumpkins said:

Im excited to go to Glastonbury for the first time!  Ive been religiously watching the TV coverage since I was like 10  :D 

I was wondering what the best way is to get to the site on the Monday.  Going solo from Bradford/ Leeds :D

The nearest Train station is Castle Cary six miles from the site.

but if you look out you should see a few crew minibuses on the Monday as they will arrive around the time the train does. 

Sure they may not be put on by Festaff or whoever but if you ask and they have space  the odds are they will give you a lift but follow the instructions in your letter as they all have different entry points so don't just follow the people getting off as they may have instructions to use a different entry point.

if you cant spot any  minibuses just team up with others and take a taxi.

Edited by glasto-worker