2017 first line-up poster

smogo

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When I first looked yesterday I was left un-impressed but last night I sat down and looked at it longer and read the whole site with all the info.

As a result I am now going as I think that despite the line-up so far lacking a bit it will still be fab. I have never really got into The XX but can see the atmosphere for them being amazing so I shall enjoy myself lots.

Dizzee will defo sub, thats pretty evident I would say. And then with that response from RDB theres another sub to be announced.

Justice subbing will be a weird one. They are ideal for a last on slot. Still loads to be announced though and those acts will really count towards whether we can say that they have a good lineup this year or not. As of right now I would say its good start.

7 minutes ago, mjsell said:

Justice subbing will be a weird one. They are ideal for a last on slot. 

Yeah I expected them to headline, though of course at Bestival the subs' sets mostly take place after dark s and they tend to get headliner-length slots. Plus of course the main stage headliner is nothing like the last show of the night anyway.

20 minutes ago, smogo said:

Yeah I expected them to headline, though of course at Bestival the subs' sets mostly take place after dark s and they tend to get headliner-length slots. Plus of course the main stage headliner is nothing like the last show of the night anyway.

They're on Sunday when everything is earlier though, so the majority of the set it'll be light (relatively, at least). Though of course the timings and stuff might change a bit with the move. 

They'd have been better on the Thursday really bit its not a big deal. 

Like many others - I had an abysmal time at Bestival in 2016. I assumed I'd never go again but it's really quite a decent line-up for a FIRST ANNOUNCEMENT (people should remember that this poster isn't the full final line-up.) Yes, they may not be announcing full-on mainstream acts like the others but that's not what Bestival has ever been about. YEs they've had big names but it's never been in line with what you'd expect from Reading, Glastonbury etc. I can rate Jamie T and his live atmosphere way more than I can Hot Chip who headlined thursday last year. Absolutely can't wait for that one!

As a Bestival regular (been to every single one from 2004, the first, except 2014) I've seen the festival grow and grow and all the problems and joys it has experienced (from the horrendous rain and mud of 2008, the terrible uphill positioning of the main stage in 2009, to the beyond it's size booking of Stevie Wonder in 2012, to me DJing the event a few times (surely the festivals highlight ha ha), to the weak line up last year and downscaling that let a lot of people feeling let down.

It seems to me that after last year 2017 is a make or break year for the festival. The line up is typical of what Bestival do / did before they started pulling in the Stevie Wonder's and Elton John's of this world. The fact that they're bringing back they're more 'hippy-like' branding with 'Increase the Peace' etc suggests they're trying to go back to that original spirit. The question is do punters want to go with them? Only time will tell. 

For me there's some good stuff on the initial line up for the deal price - will be interesting to see how much the tickets eventually go up to closer to the date and what other acts they announce. The Giant Confetti Canon sounds fun! 

Headliners aren't that important anyway. I remember when Stevie Wonder headlined, I was watching some weird cabaret at the Grand Palace, then saw El-P (off of Run the Jewels) at the Rizlab with about 100 other people, and it was fucking brilliant. 

For me, that's what Bestival is really about. If it can keep that sort of thing going, I'll be happy.

7 hours ago, smogo said:

Headliners aren't that important anyway.

I know what you mean, they're not that important to me either - but the reality is, to shift tickets, headliners and a strong undercard are still very important that's why there was a huge crowd for Stevie Wonder and only 100 people at Rizlab

Edited by rseamer

10 hours ago, smogo said:

Headliners aren't that important anyway.

This is true if you have the right spirit but unfortunately last year the tickets were pretty expensive considering the 4 main headliners were Hot Chip, Major Lazer (one of Bestival's repeat draws), The Cure (well done on this) and Wiz Khalifa/Sean Paul (not headliners by any means). Just look at last years poster and the fact the chuckle brothers are so high on the poster and in the 'main stage' section says enough. They did a 15 minute set at mid-day.

I was talking to someone who helps book acts for Bestival last night and he was telling me it was supposed to be Kendrick Lamar last year and he was confirmed but then they had a whole legal battle with AEG because the Hyde Park show was billed as a UK Exclusive and it was stupidly expensive to get him out of the contract. They didn't sign Sean Paul/Wiz Khalifa up till July. 

2 hours ago, Callum_96 said:

I was talking to someone who helps book acts for Bestival last night and he was telling me it was supposed to be Kendrick Lamar last year and he was confirmed but then they had a whole legal battle with AEG because the Hyde Park show was billed as a UK Exclusive and it was stupidly expensive to get him out of the contract. They didn't sign Sean Paul/Wiz Khalifa up till July. 

Did you get any information about this year...

37 minutes ago, Hawky said:

Did you get any information about this year...

Got bits and bobs, Bon Iver had confirmed for the Saturday but cancelled when he cancelled all of his other dates, The Big Top tent is 4,000 less in capacity this year, it's ATCQ last ever show apparently and there's loads of old school hip hop on ATCQ day as well

1 hour ago, Callum_96 said:

Got bits and bobs, Bon Iver had confirmed for the Saturday but cancelled when he cancelled all of his other dates, The Big Top tent is 4,000 less in capacity this year, it's ATCQ last ever show apparently and there's loads of old school hip hop on ATCQ day as well

Bon Iver only cancelled his early year European tour? He's still doing festival dates. 

Interested to see what else we get on ATCQ day as we already have Dizzee and Danny Brown

Edited by Hawky

2 minutes ago, Hawky said:

Bon Iver only cancelled his early year European tour? He's still doing festival dates. 

Interested to see what else we get on ATCQ day as we already have Dizzee and Danny Brown

He's only playing 2 festival dates over here I think and thats Primervera and Forbidden Fruits so it's looks like he wanted the festival dates to be over and done with pretty quickly 

On 11/02/2017 at 5:15 PM, Hawky said:

I bet the Sugarhill Gang - they are on everything at the minute

Edited by ghoulieanne
Mistake

On 09/02/2017 at 11:50 AM, aidenlangan95 said:

I'm surprised by the comments (on facebook, not here) about a lack of urban acts...

Yeah I saw alot of that too, has made me consider trying it out if those punters that were there for all the grime (and ket) etc last year are skipping it this time.

On 10/02/2017 at 3:31 PM, smogo said:

As long as they don't get Sigur Ros™'d.. 

5 hours ago, Frankly Mr Shankly said:

Wouldn't be surprised to see Busta Rhymes back on the line up- he has unfinished business after pulling out in 2014 & he is pretty tight with Q-Tip/Tribe

Was thinking this the other day after he appeared at The Grammys. Hoping for a strong undercard on the Saturday main stage.